New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keng's NS-522 rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a rather rare pair of Keng's NS-522 rifles. Some 2000 of these were imported into the US in the mid-1990's. Featuring a target action, a heavy sporter barrel, and an American walnut stock, they are accurate and desireable, albeit hard to find these days. They both wear Leupold 3-9 x 33 EFR Rimfire scopes.

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
they look like nice rifles. ?bolt mounted safety?

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
they look like nice rifles. ?bolt mounted safety?

No, the safety slides fore and aft on the left side of the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one! they were highly touted for small bore silhouette shooting, as well as BR50 as I recollect.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have one! they were highly touted for small bore silhouette shooting, as well as BR50 as I recollect.
Peter.

I've seen one converted into a 7.5lb. IR 50/50 sporter benchrest rifle and it is a surprisingly accurate rifle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

Peter, the uppermost rifle in the pic above was used by a previous owner for several years in smallbore silhouette competition, after having been thoroughly worked over by J.C. Blauvelt, then of upstate New York, who gave the rifle one of his "accuracy packages". It wore a 24x target scope in those days, but I prefer the lighter, trimmer 3-9x scope myself. Hang on to that rifle--they are getting hard to find these days.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
You really know how to make us envious, I have wanted one of those for years and so far haven't even seen one in person. What does the bare rifle like that go for now days?

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, these days you can expect to pay between $450 and $500 for a NS-522 in decent shape. There were only 2000 or so made, so they have appreciated in value over the years (they sold for $250-$300 new). You just don't see many for sale these days. Good luck in your search.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'm having trouble trying to figure out that bolt handle. Can I get a close up of the bolt handle? looks a little odd from where I"m setting.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
I'm having trouble trying to figure out that bolt handle. Can I get a close up of the bolt handle? looks a little odd from where I"m setting.

Here you go. The bolt--indeed, the entire action--was said to be a copy of the Suhl and/or early Anschutz actions.

posted Hide Post

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RichJay, very nice 522. Wonderful rifles. Yours looks to be in very good shape. What scope are you using?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mightymouse:
RichJay, very nice 522. Wonderful rifles. Yours looks to be in very good shape. What scope are you using?

Mightymouse

Acquired new around 09 for $250.
Right now it sports a Tasco World Class 8-32x44.
Pillar bedded it , bent a new spring for the trigger and added an over travel screw. Breaks at 1 1/4 lbs.
Doesn't always look like that by me.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RichJay, here's a pic of some of the work done to one of my rifles, this one by J.C. Blauvelt:

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks...it is different. They are nice looking! I'll have to keep my open at the gun shows...never know.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks...it is different. They are nice looking! I'll have to keep my eyes open at the gun shows...never know.

There is a big one coming up in Tulsa in about 2 & 1/2 weeks. I'll be looking for another one myself.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'll be there also, I want to do a custom LR. My problem with that is I cant decide on what 22lr bolt action I want to use for the build.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be there also, I want to do a custom LR. My problem with that is I cant decide on what 22lr bolt action I want to use for the build.

The old school way would be to get a Winchester 52 target rifle and then make a custom sporter from it. Either that, or look for one that has already been done. In any event, it is the looking that is the most fun at the Big Show.