New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for new .22 semi pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to buy a new .22 pistol similar to the old Colt Woodsmen that is under $250.00.

Anyone have any recommendations? The new Rugers are way too expensive IMO.

Thanks

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my new Ruger 22/45 MKIV, I think it was worth every penny.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^I don't doubt the Rugers are great pistols, but I just want something for occasional plinking.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cdnn has Browning buckmarks and Browning has a rebate.

Posts: 169 | Location: Pa | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to buy a new .22 pistol similar to the old Colt Woodsmen that is under $250.00.

Damn man, you ain't asking for much. You can barely buy a decent Iver Johnson for $250. Up your ante and get a decent pistol.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to join the Rimfire Central forum, and start watching the classified area. Used pistols pop up there, in the $300ish range quite often.

Posts: 497 | Location: Edgewood, Texas | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Maybe a $450.00 .22 is the norm now. I bought my first .22 at age 16. It was a High Standard Hombre 9 shot revolver. Cost about $64.00 at a Sporting Goods store.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you're in the real world. Ruger Mrk II, III, and IV are very good pistols which can be had in that range or less but they often have really piss poor triggers. If you don't mind having them worked on or doing it yourself, good value for the money. I suspect this one will close out in the $300 range, but here is one to consider. I have nothing to do with this auction. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725068711

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been seeing a few places offering Buckmark Campers right under $300.00.

I guess I will great one of them.

Appreciate all the comments.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazingly enough, I've never owned one, but have read many good comments about them over the years. As mentioned above, check out CDNN's site. Easy people to work with and they sell a lot of guns cheaper than most others.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do! And thanks again.

BH63

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Ruger MK II's, both purchased in the early 80's and both with thousands of rounds through them, and they still function like new.

They may be a little more expensive, but they will last several lifetimes.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 22A. With a red dot it is VERY accurate. Well within the X ring of a 25 yard Bullseye target. Don't know whether they are still made or what they go for now.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think S&W have a .22 Victory out now. I personally like the look and feel of the Buckmark Camper, so that is what I will probably buy when I get back to the USA.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a long wait, but today I finally bought my .22LR semi-automatic for the price I wanted.

I bought a Ruger MK III, brand new, with case and extra magazine, for $255.00. This included sales tax.

The barrel is about an inch or two longer than what I originally wanted, but hey, can't have everything.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heckuva good price. You can cut the barrel or save the money and get a trigger.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I spent my savings on a Benchmade Canyon Hunter knife. LOL

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
It was a long wait, but today I finally bought my .22LR semi-automatic for the price I wanted.

I bought a Ruger MK III, brand new, with case and extra magazine, for $255.00. This included sales tax.

The barrel is about an inch or two longer than what I originally wanted, but hey, can't have everything.

BH63
Now you can start learning how to put it back together when you take it apart to clean it. Not the easiest thing to do.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I kind of figured that out, just by thumbing through the owner's manual.

I guess that's why their is such an add push on the "one button" takedown feature of the MK IV. LOL

BH63

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's the beauty of the MKIV. Turnbull has some new ones FS w/ their color case hardened finish.Worth looking at.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
quote:

BH63
Now you can start learning how to put it back together when you take it apart to clean it. Not the easiest thing to do.

That's exactly why I bought a Mark IV!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jim, I hope your Mark IV is post-recall. I have been reading about them over at Rimfire Central. My first cartridge handgun was a Ruger 4-inch "standard model," pre-Mark I with fixed sights. Dad bought it for me about 1969 or 1970. Boy, I put the fear of the Lord in a lot of gray digger squirrels with that thing, and sent a few to squirrel heaven.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well it seems that Ruger has worked out the problems or at least molofilng the purchasers until help arrives.Seriously though,they make a good product + will stand behind it.I would buy another one again.I have confidence in their product line.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Jim, I hope your Mark IV is post-recall. I have been reading about them over at Rimfire Central. My first cartridge handgun was a Ruger 4-inch "standard model," pre-Mark I with fixed sights. Dad bought it for me about 1969 or 1970. Boy, I put the fear of the Lord in a lot of gray digger squirrels with that thing, and sent a few to squirrel heaven.

I'll have to check Bill, I've shot the Heck out of it in our steel challenge matches and it eats everything and runs faster than I can. And a neat little trick I figured out all on my onesies, is that you can grind the rear of the magazine pads on the mark III mags and they will work in the mark IV and Mark III. Saved quite a few,bucks with that little epiphany.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I really like my new Ruger 22/45 MKIV, I think it was worth every penny.

+1!!! Especially after you add the Tandemcross upgrades.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63
Eeker tu2