Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 22/45 Mark IV vs. Glock 44
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
All I can say after actually putting shots on paper is what a difference a Ruger makes! The Glock 44 is a lot of fun as a plinker and trainer, duplicating as it does the Glock frame and trigger pull. But when I started shooting it offhand on targets at 15 yards with bulk Remington ammo, I had a hard time keeping groups under 5 inches. I am betting that testing a variety of ammo from rest would greatly improve that performance. But taking up a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with stock trigger and sights made a world of difference offhand at 15. I have only tried Remington Thunderbolt and CCI Standard Velocity, but groups shrank by 1/2 to 2/3ds, even in high winds at our range. The Ruger prefers the Thunderbolt. More testing to come once our winds subside. March is the windy month here in the southern New Mexico desert, and being downwind of the White Sands only worsens the visibility.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two totally different plat forms.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sure are. I am going to ditch the Glock.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
In an ill thought out splurge I bought two of the Rugers on gunbroker.
Because I didn't think I'd wasted enough money I bought the Volksquartsen accurizing kits and installed them in both.
I am very happy with the two of them.

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Have to agree. My old bull barrel 22/45 is awfully good. One of my most accurate handguns. So good I bought one of the new lightweight ones with the rail and the threaded barrel. It's not quite as accurate as the old one, but it's good for trying to see if I like the red dot sight.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Report on that red dot, skl1.
Trying to decide if I want to go this way.
The red dots I have messed with have all been bulky old school, and about as worthless as a laser on a bright sunny day.
Want to try a newer one like a Leupold or a SIG Romeo.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UltraDot is the way to go. I've used them on my competition pistols since 1990 and never had a problem. Even mounted them on the slide of my 45 wadguns. they are tough.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I bought a HoloSun to try out. I really like it. It's easy to pick up. I'll still have co-witness irons for anything serious, since it uses batteries. But it will get pretty bright. Plus it's got the mode with the 65MOA ring around the dot which makes it easier to pick up quickly (like from the draw). But for 22 plinking, it's easy to be accurate and for those of us getting far-sighted in our old age, it makes it easier.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My first pistol was a Ruger Mark 1. Really good shooter. Never warmed up to a Glock in any form. My favorite 22 is a Smith and Wesson 18 with target trigger, hammer and stocks.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote