New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 rimfire ammo costs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Back when I was in high school a brick (do they even make those anymore?) was $7.00 or 70 cents per 50 round box (1976). I just bought four 500 round boxes for $13.98 per box, which is $3.09 in 1976 dollars.

That is remarkable.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Where at and what brand of ammo? Inquiring minds would like to know. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, 22 shells were cheaper back then but so were cars + everything else. I bought up a bunch early on so I'm O.K. but after the last few election panic buyings it has gone really crazy. One of the things that offend me is those folks that go into Wal-Mart E.G. with their relatives + buy up the lot at $20.00 a brick + then go to the next gun show + try to sell the same product for $100.00 a brick. I am all for capitalism but I have no use for vultures that would fxxk their fellow shooters.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't caught any as cheap as $14/500, but you're right that they are cheaper (and often better) than they've ever been.

When I was a "kid" (over a half-century ago), .22's were typically about a penny apiece. Now at about a nickel apiece they are much less expensive in terms of constant dollars. Besides that, now I've got the nickel and then I didn't necessarily have the penny.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Where at and what brand of ammo? Inquiring minds would like to know. Big Grin

Midway; Remington bulk packed. Was on sale; might still be.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day it was by the box, carton or case. The counts were 50, 500 or 5000 respectively.

Nowadays it's whatever... like 450 loose rounds in a plastic box...used to shoot zombies or whatnot. Silly!

There's just something special about a paper carton filled with 10 paper boxes of fifty 22 shells.

Now I'm just being a curmudgeon.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, nothing wrong with remembering when things were better. I still have some around. Strange that the old packaging is most likely more valuable today than the product.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
....and back then you could buy a full sized, fully equipped Ford or Chevy for $3500 bucks!

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
....and back then you could buy a full sized, fully equipped Ford or Chevy for $3500 bucks!

I actually paid $3300 for my second to the last Chevy 4 x 4 truck. My last Chevy truck I paid a whopping $5700! I forgot what I paid for my first 4 x 4 but I'd guess under $3K.

I've been driving Ford ever since that time but don't hold that against me. lol

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I live in "Ford Country" our last 5 vehicles have been Fords. But in the past I have driven a lot of GM and Chryslers (but not rice burners) Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I agree. In 1973 I could buy a F-150 P.U. for $4700.00 + at the same time my weekly paycheck was $160.00. Times sure have changed, right? The escalation in prices + wages isn't even close in compatibility.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some old boxes with price tags that look silly until I remember what the minimum wage was, back when I worked in a cannery.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still, though you get my point that wages + product are no way in the same realm of equality. I could by a truck @ $4700.00 + make $160.00 a week but who can afford a $50K + truck today? As to the ammo, I'm sure it has escalated in price due to the current crisis. I load my own (not 22) but I have all kinds of folks coming out of the woodwork wanting some ammo. I help out some to a point but I can't help thinking about the fable about the grasshopper + the ants.