New
Find
Notify
Tools

Econo-scope for .22 rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a Ruger 77/22 from a friend and it has an old 4x32 Bushnell Sportview on it. Seems like an adequate scope for what it is, although I haven't really put it to the test - only about 40 rounds fired at short range. I only plan to use it for small game hunting - no competitions or long-range shooting.

Two questions:
1) Is the Bushnell Sportview a definite "throw it away now" scope, or is it decent enough for my purpose?
2) I always pony up and pay for decent glass for my rifles, but since this is just for small game I'm really looking to control cost. If the Sportview is a dud, any recommendations for a decent .22 scope for under $100?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never justify using a shit scope.

The only scope that EVER failed me (in 40years of shooting) was a Bushnell Sportview 4x 32mm. The reticle started rotating in a clockwise direction with every shot.

Any modern name brand scope made today is far better than that POS.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I ever had a Bushnell, sold a wide-view Redfield once that fogged during an elk trip on a cold morning.
Lately put a 32 mm Burris 4.5-14X on a Remington 511 receiver, seems to work all right.

I have an older Japanese Tasco on a Marlin 60, set in steel Burris rings which were well worth the money.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rimfire I like to put the Nikon Pro Staff 2X7 on. Not a rimfire scope but it does great service with plenty of power and dependability.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've been moving an older Bushnell Banner 4-12 AO from .22 to .22 for years now and it has given good service.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an old Simmons scope on a CZ .22 one time. It would arbitrarily change zero with every shot. Cost me a lot of jackrabbits on a hunting trip. Personally I wouldn't have a Simmons if they were giving them away.

But it all depends on what you're going to do with your .22, if you're just going to use it for plinking and varmints, then I'd think the Bushnell would be fine as long as it holds up. It might outlast you, we never know.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Nikon makes some pretty good 22 rimfire scopes. I shot this five shot group at 50 yds with a 4-12 x 40 Nikon Rimfire BDC scope, plenty clear and bright.

I have 4 of their Rimfire scopes.

Steve...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use many BUSHNELL ELITE scopes, and they are great.

Not familiar with this particular model.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fixed power, low magnification scopes are pretty easy to build and even the cheapest ones are usually functional. Their Achilles heel does tend to be the reticle, so they shouldn't be used on anything with more than modest recoil.

The Bushnell Sportview was their low-price leader line about a hundred years ago. I had a 4X Sportview mounted on a .22-250 back in the early 70's and found that the optics were quite acceptable and it was a fully adequate scope. Such scopes are particularly suited to "field grade" rimfires.

If a simple 4x suits your needs then I certainly wouldn't toss it away.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it works then give it a chance, if not toss and buy a used J-2.5X or 4X weaver...Most scopes are suitable on a .22 and if it fails so what? missing a rabbit is not a life experience..On my .22s I have a J-2.5 Weaver, a 3X Leupold, and a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan..

That Leupold Alaskan comes in 2.5X, 4X and 6X and is bloody expensive even used hard, I move mine around on my big bores from time to time..I will buy about every Leupold Alaskan I come across..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote