THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    CZ452 (ultra lux) 100yds open sight target

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ452 (ultra lux) 100yds open sight target
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot this today from a rest, off the bench using bulk CCI ammunition.
[URL= ]100yds target[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
You did fine -- especially with open sights and bulk ammo. It's a grand way to spend an afternoon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot this one offhand today at 100yds.

[URL= ]100yds target[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It has been years since I fired that many shots offhand at 100 yards, and I ought to be ashamed. Good for you for getting out and getting her done!

beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.That is the reason I now shoot a 22 offhand instead of a 308-to shoot many rounds and not suffer the recoil effects.If I shot this many rds out of my 308 I would have a headache for at least a week and I would be discouraged from shooting again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some may not realize that the 452UL has a 28 1/2" barrel for good sight radius (and the rear sight is graduated to 300 meters IIRC)... so fire away! That's good shooting from the shoulder...

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of us locals routinely shoot our match 22's at 50,100, and 200yds. with both peep and scope sight systems. 50yds. to 100yds. some 6.5MOA more elevation and for the 200 some 18MOA more. Does not take much wind at all to drift that small, slow bullet at the 200yd. line, but good way to practice reading the wind.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Boyd's stock for my CZ 452 today.It is the Rimfire hunter model with a custom LOP.I also ordered a reamer with the measurements very close to my ammo dimensions, and a Lothar Walther barrel in 3190 contour.I plan on using open sights for it and might go with the William's WGOS series sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this target today offhand, open sights at 70yds.There are also 40 rounds of 308Win on the target that I shot with my Walther Lothar barrelled 308.I was using Federal American eagle 22LR ammunition.

[URL= ]70yds offhand open sights[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, but I cannot understand what can be learned from this exercise. Without knowing the accuracy of this rifle (note "rifle" not "rifle shooter combination") I have no clue whether any particular round fired hits where it does because of random deviation in ammunition manufacture, or because of my failure as a shooter to hold proper sight acquisition, trigger control, breath control etc. etc.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the object of this exercise?
I have no obection to sending rounds downrange, but, generally, I have some objective in mind, like, hitting the intended target. If the intended target is beyond the accuracy capabilities of the rifle, then any hits are clearly luck.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, One reason might be to practice a skill (I sure would like to be able to shoot like shootaway). Another just could be for the fun of it. I, too mostly shoot with an objective in mind but not always (must be my plinking background).

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1038 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I agree -- it's great practice. I am ashamed of how seldom I shoot offhand, especially past 50 yards.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having more fun shooting now than ever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Davenport (Iowa) Shooting Association will soon announce the entry period for the 2018 Winter Offhand League. Entry is via e-mail or by looking for the announcement on the American Single Shot Association (ASSRA) Forum. This is an International event, with many Canadian competitors and a few from other countries. No cost for entries. Everything is on the honor system.

Format is to shoot 10 sets of targets for score (on your range) and submit the scores (spreadsheet format) via e-mail.

All shooting is offhand. Distance is 50 feet. Targets are ASSRA or Wyoming Schuetzen Union (WSU) gallery targets; 6 bulls per target, 5 for score and a sighter. Two shots at each bull. 5 targets per match. We shoot 50 shots for score each week. If you want to check out your offhand skills, give this game a try.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Waterman, that is a very historic club they have in Davenport -- originally a "Schützenverein." I have always marveled at the skill required to do well in a 50-shot offhand match.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The winter matches are demanding, but you are really only competing against yourself. My personal goal is to score at least 1100 out of a possible 1250 points in one of the 10 final scores submitted. Last year, I saw an 1140 shot with a .177 air rifle adapter for an AR-15. The year before, I saw another 1140 shot with a Stevens Crackshot using CCI Blazer ammo.

Last year, I shot CCI Target Shorts in a Winder with a 25" twist. Worked fine.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always admired the Winders.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winders are perfectly competitive offhand. One of the perennial "top ten" competitors in the winter league shoots a Winder rigged with a titanium hammer, double set triggers, and both coil and flat mainsprings. After all that work, it also has a high-end LR barrel.

What spelled the end for Winders as a competitive match rifle was 4-position match shooting. It is quite easy to change the point of impact by adjusting the tension of the rifle sling. Rifles with one-piece stocks (conventional bolt actions) and the BSA-type Martinis with their stocks fastened by a large through bolt did not bend. If you stay away from position or prone matches or BR-50 matches, Winders are a lot of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a few minutes, I must prepare for another offhand match with .22s. It's a Hudson match, 100 shots at 200 yards. The goal is a high score, but most of us will settle for 100 holes in the target paper.

If I can get my Freeland Ballard on paper with an old Fecker scope, I will shoot that. Otherwise I'll shoot a Winder with a TJ liner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
waterman, please post a link to the winter match you refer to, in your post above.

This sounds like a fun way to pass some Sunday afternoons.

Posts: 497 | Location: Edgewood, Texas | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this target yesterday at 65yds with my CZ 22LR and my 308Win.I lowered the sight height on my 308 after firing the first few rounds-that explains the shots hitting high.The federal 22LR ammo is shooting pretty good-a bargain too.

[URL= ]22 and 308 offhand at 65yds[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one.

[URL= ]22lr[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this target at 60yds.I shot 40 rounds of 308 and the rest 22lr.This was at an indoor rang.Lighting was not so good and sight picture was black on black.The bottom target was at 25yds- it was a fast shooting practice drill.

[URL= ]60yds[/URL]

[URL= ]25yds[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this yesterday at 60yds.The first shots all hit high and to the right.I believe this was so because I just cleaned and lightly lubed the bore.
[URL= ]Off hand at 60yds[/URL]

I am really satisfied with my CZ 22lr.It exceeded my expectations.I have sent one of my three CZ 22's along with a Boyd's bull barrel stock to a smith in BC.He has ordered a LW heavy barrel to replace the original barrel.I will keep the original barrel if ever I need it.The purpose for rebarreling was to allow me to shoot many inexpensive,low recoil rounds with a heavy rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week at the range there was a fellow shooting RWS 40gr, 22LR ammo out of his scoped, CZ American.From the looks of the group he shot it was very good ammo.He shot close to a one hole group at 50yds.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of scoped 22 rifles that are as close to full sized rifles as you can get. One of my favorites is a Kimber bolt action 22 LR, another is a Winchester Model 52B bolt action, also in 22 LR. A third one is a Ruger M77 bolt action in 22WMR. All of them carry Leupold full sized rifle scopes, and I love shooting them because it keeps me in practice relative to the 'big' guns, but without the recoil and pain. And, they are cheaper to shoot and a lot more fun! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have a number of scoped 22 rifles that are as close to full sized rifles as you can get. One of my favorites is a Kimber bolt action 22 LR, another is a Winchester Model 52B bolt action, also in 22 LR. A third one is a Ruger M77 bolt action in 22WMR. All of them carry Leupold full sized rifle scopes, and I love shooting them because it keeps me in practice relative to the 'big' guns, but without the recoil and pain. And, they are cheaper to shoot and a lot more fun! Big Grin

I agree.I shoot mine offhand every week.The only problem I find is that you get used to their light weight and easy,light triggers which are nothing at all like those on double rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
What size shot are you shooting, maybe number 1 buck? jumping sofa hilbily

Just a bit of morning humor!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a person will go to the trouble to learn off hand shooting then he can shoot from any position, and I don't know a better way to become a successful hunter, more trophys are lost because the hunter was messing around with a rest or whatever, those great targets of opertunity have produced some fine trophys for my house..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]60 yds offhand[/URL]

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good to see you are still at it, Shootaway.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Good to see you are still at it, Shootaway.

I enjoy shooting it.I can shoot plenty and don't have to clean, reload etc... I've got a CZ with a heavy Lothar Walther barrel just about ready.The heavy barrel should give great hold exercise.I am going to try some RWS ammo in it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It really is wonderful practice, shooting offhand like that. When I get past upcoming surgery, I'll fit a tang sight to the little Winchester 1906 pump, and follow your example.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
It really is wonderful practice, shooting offhand like that. When I get past upcoming surgery, I'll fit a tang sight to the little Winchester 1906 pump, and follow your example.

I wish you a speedy recovery.Post a target when your there.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That's nothing, my friend Chute shoots better groups at 300 yards with his 10/22 !

Just kidding , but idiotic statements like that seem inevitable on these forums so I thought I would get it over with

That is very good shooting by the way. That sort of consistency take a lot of shooting.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4183 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 458Win. Have a good hunt in Zim!