New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 HMR on turkeys?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The 22 magnum was just about perfect for rifle hunting turkeys, does the 17 HRM do this job as well or is it too destructive?

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but I'd think it depends where you hit them. A head shot will destroy the head only. (See update.)

But if I wanted breast meat, I wouldn't want to hit one in the chest with a .17 HMR.

Now, that's a guess, but one based on what a .17 HMR does to ground squirrels when you hit them in the body.

UPDATE: I assumed you'd be using expanding bullets of one sort or another. If you were to use FMJs, you might be okay.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .17 HMR ammo is available in both Game Points and FMJ. Both are 20 gr. and both shoot well in my rifle. I would not use the normal highly explosive plastic tipped ammo. Both of the above should penetrate and kill the bird if you hit it where you should.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I have shot several Guinea fowl in Zimbabwe with my Cooper 17 HMR. Most shots were taken through the body with CCI FMJ ammo. Meat damage was minimal - the 17 HMR FMJ round seems to zing right through them like a laser. If I could legally hunt turkeys with this round, I would not hesitate to give it a go.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote