Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Ring
 Login/Join

posted
When the time comes to clean your .22 barrel what seems to be the best solvent to remove the carbon ring? I've tried Butch's Bore Shine and Shooter's Choice and they seem to work, but it takes a lot of scrubbing. Is there something better that dissolves the carbon without so much scrubbing? Thanks. BCM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean a .22 Rimfire? Why? Did you stick the barrel in the mud?

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 Carbon Killer is extremely fast and effective at removing carbon. It is a surfactant -- (i.e., like soap) that removes the carbon's ability to adhere to the steel. One doesn't dissolve carbon, one scrubs it away, and this makes it very easy and fast.

It does remove all oil from the surfaces it touches, so be sure to oil after drying it after cleaning.

While many think it's heresy to clean a rimfire bore, the simple truth is that primer compound hardens in the barrel fouling and gets scraped upon/over by succeeding bullets if left uncleaned. This helps destroy accuracy much faster than if cleaned after each firing. Also, corrosion develops under the fouling, resulting in pitting.

Hope this helps,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks John. It's appreciated. I'll try and find the stuff and try it. BCM