New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington model 12 bolt lock question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired an old Remington model 12A pump 22. Generally I am pleased with this fine old pump, but I have a question. The bolt lock up "catches" but will not lock up securely. By this I mean the bolt elevates and fully closes into battery as the slide closes, but will release with forceful back pressure on the slide opening the action before the trigger is pulled. The release button on the underside does not need to be depressed to open the unfired action. There is a definite "catch" but it will not hold.

Is this a safety concern? I assume there is a worn internal piece, but I am not a gunsmith nor is there one close. Is this something that is easily fixed with a replacement part?

Thanks for any help or comments

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can find a lot of advice on
RimfireCentral.com There is a lot of .22 info there.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I searched their Remington forum, but did not find any information. I have registered and am awaiting activation so I can ask that question.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you taken it apart and given your rifle a thorough cleaning? Lots of times that works wonders on old 22 rifles as 22 ammo tends to leave a lot of crud in the mechanism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes

You are correct, it was caked with old powder residue. The bolt lock question was present before cleaning. The bore looks fair, the wood is very good. I could not see significant burrs or wear of the carrier or other internal parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
problem solved.

I deburred the carrier slot in the trigger guard so the carrier sits lower and engages the dog fully. That carrier elevates when the hammer has fallen, or by pushing on the button in front of the trigger releasing the bolt. It now works fine.