New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks again for the banner, Don and Saeed Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
The tradition is close to my heart. Thank you for honoring it on this bright day.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
You are most welcome Bill.

Merry Christmas.

Don

Posts: 26536 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I don't want to seem ungracious, but the art work you selected is not quite accurate, although beautiful in it's own right. Christmas is the celebration, by believers, of the Nativity of Jesus, the Christ. As described in a book by Luke, shepherds came to see the infant lying in stable, in a manger.
A book by Matthew describes a different event, when "wise men" or "kings" came to visit "the child" in a house. They brought him expensive gifts. This latter event, took place about 2-3 years later.
These two accounts are often combined into one account, where first the shepherds came and then the wise men. This is not correct.
There are many beautiful paintings of the Nativity (ie. stable, shepherds, infant etc.).
This is not, of course, meant to be critical of the thoughtfulness displayed by you and Saeed, in thinking of us, and the special significance of this event that we celebrate.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Don, I don't want to seem ungracious, but the art work you selected is not quite accurate, although beautiful in it's own right. Christmas is the celebration, by believers, of the Nativity of Jesus, the Christ. As described in a book by Luke, shepherds came to see the infant lying in stable, in a manger.
A book by Matthew describes a different event, when "wise men" or "kings" came to visit "the child" in a house. They brought him expensive gifts. This latter event, took place about 2-3 years later.
These two accounts are often combined into one account, where first the shepherds came and then the wise men. This is not correct.
There are many beautiful paintings of the Nativity (ie. stable, shepherds, infant etc.).
This is not, of course, meant to be critical of the thoughtfulness displayed by you and Saeed, in thinking of us, and the special significance of this event that we celebrate.
Thanks, Peter.

Peter, I guess next year I'll leave burning log. After all, it's a stolen holiday from the pagans.

Don

Posts: 26536 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, you are correct, however, I don't think anyone claims that the event happened on December 25 (Gregorian calendar) especially as the Orthodox church celebrates Christmas on January 7 (Gregorian calendar) which is December 25 (Julian calendar)!
All we are doing is commemorating the event!
Burning logs should work, except for the folks in Australia and the Southern hemisphere in general!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Don, you are correct, however, I don't think anyone claims that the event happened on December 25 (Gregorian calendar) especially as the Orthodox church celebrates Christmas on January 7 (Gregorian calendar) which is December 25 (Julian calendar)!
All we are doing is commemorating the event!
Burning logs should work, except for the folks in Australia and the Southern hemisphere in general!
Peter.

Burning logs would have been fine this time of year in Australia. The climate change people got it wrong again, as usual. Supposed to be record heat waves and zero rain. Guess what? .....cold and raining and all dams full.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. My cousin lives in Sydney, but I haven't spoken to him in a while. I need to set up a Zoom meeting with him!
Peter.