New
Find
Notify
Tools

HTTPS versus unsecure Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Why is AR no longer coming up as HTTPS ? If I try to enter it, it gives me a redirect to the not secure site?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Good question, I'll find out...

Don

Posts: 26535 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've also noticed this.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:

Don

popcorn Any further info on this Don. jc?

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:

Don

So the forums are hosted on a secure site. HOWEVER, the main domain www.accuratereloading.com does not have a certificate. We redirect from there to eve forums.

It never mattered in the past, but now the internet powers to be want more money so we need to purchase a certificate (that proves nothing) for the server that houses none of this.

As the same time we are dealing with denial of service attacks. That needs to be cleared up first.

Don

Posts: 26535 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Don- Many here have been good enough, from time to time, to point out their gratitude for the work you do to keep this site and forum running and available and secure for all of us.

This would be a good time, IMO, to chime in with a big THANK YOU!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Don- Many here have been good enough, from time to time, to point out their gratitude for the work you do to keep this site and forum running and available and secure for all of us.

This would be a good time, IMO, to chime in with a big THANK YOU!

Thanks Doug.

You are most welcome.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:

Don

So the forums are hosted on a secure site. HOWEVER, the main domain www.accuratereloading.com does not have a certificate. We redirect from there to eve forums.

It never mattered in the past, but now the internet powers to be want more money so we need to purchase a certificate (that proves nothing) for the server that houses none of this.

As the same time we are dealing with denial of service attacks. That needs to be cleared up first.

Don

Thanks for checking into it, Don.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As the same time we are dealing with denial of service attacks

Not IdahoSharpshooter I hope!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What is there to worry about security on this site??

No one is asked to give any information they do not wish to share.

Only requirement is a valid email address.

You can be anyone you wish to be - some members actually have more than one ID logging into AR.

As long as they are not being silly about it we do not mind.

It makes me laugh when I see someone reply to himself using another ID! clap

Adds to the entertainment value of AR.

We should all be grateful to Don and all the other Moderators.

Non is paid a penny.

Everyone is doing it because they want to.

I pay for the site to keep it clean of adverts, and make sure it stays very simple to use.

We have had recommendations to “improve” things.

They did not look like improveto me and Don, so we are keeping things as they are.

Because it works.

We appreciate all of you participating too.

YOU, all of you, are doing just as well as we are.

By helping others with whatever experiences and questions are asked.

I think we can truly say AR is run by its members.

It does not bow to advertisers demands.

We hardly ever get involved in how any of you interact with others, except in extreme circumstances.

So, enjoy it.

And a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy, Healthy New Year to all.

Remember, Don is Jewish and I am a Muslim.

But we are brothers and sisters.

Regardless of your religion, nationality, color or gender!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that not much is being sent on the site that it would require it to be secure. Although names and passwords might be important to some people if used across various platforms. Also the site may become marked as "unsafe" to search engines and antivirus software. I believe an SSL can be purchased and installed for very little. I'm sure less than $100/year. Most hosting companies include this at no charge.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote