Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connection Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Don to the left of the history bar on my Chrome browser it says this site is not a secure connection. Why is that?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I have no idea what a so called SECURE site is.

I can understand a place where you have to enter your credit card details, or your full personal information, like, name, address etc.

Even then, these sites are not secure.

They sell your information, and are hacked on a regular basis.

Here on AR, all we require is valid email address.

So security is not of an issue.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vzerone, the key is secure CONNECTION. This means that the connection is not encrypted. If encrypted, then the only way to read the contents going back and forth is to break the encryption code. There are various levels of encryption. The most common type of security is SSL using a one time encryption key. As I said in my previous post on this forum, I assume that the browser is giving this message because the messages are not going via "HTTPS". basically on this site, they don't really need to. Now when you log in to your bank, then you need to!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Peter has it right.

We are not an https and do not send any details about you over the web (we don't have them in any case).

We could move the site to a secure server for thousands of dollars, start charging membership fees and run ads.

We prefer not to.

What's also true is until recently we showed as secure but internet browsers and hosting companies are trying to up the income from security certificates and highlighting non certified certificate sites.

Clever eh?

Don

Posts: 26538 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shows Not Secure on Chrome but does not on IE.

Personally I could not care less Big Grin In fact what I say on the internet is quite mild to what I say face to face and on emails Big Grin . I am gettting too old to be banned again from AR. Big Grin

Anyway AR does not have any information on you that is not widely available elsewhere. It has my real name but that is no secret and my real email and that is no secret. It shows my preference in guns/calibres is magnum type stuff and big bores and M70/Mark V Wby/Rem 700 and my politics are far right, no secrets there. It reveals I watch Sky News Australia and its stablemate Fox News and my non news humour TV is supplied by CNN animal

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote