New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shed Hunting? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
Searching about the woods for shed antlers seems to be a popular pastime.

Is there a forum on AR where that would be addressed, or would a separate forum be appropriate?

If I recall, another hunting website had a forum devoted strictly to shed hunting, and it seemed to get a fair amount of activity.

BTW, when I first saw the "shed hunting" title to that forum, I thought it meant hunting from sheds--like blinds, or something! homer

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I would think the American Hunting Forum would be the place for that, because it seems to be an American/North American concept.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I personally think it should be illegal on public land. I believe some states have made it illegal. Wyoming and Montana have seasons for it, at least that helps to keep the nonsense down.

Here in Germany it is only legal if you have permission from the owner of the hunting area.

1. It disrupts wildlife, as people commonly are in the winter feeding areas to look for sheds.

2. They often use dogs to locate sheds, and this increases the stress on wildlife.

3. It creates a "poaching scenario, as it is legal for sheds to be sold in some areas, so people are willing to risk quite a bit for the dough.

4. Other wildlife get nutrients from eating the sheds, primarily beaver, porcupine and other rodents.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally think it should be illegal on public land.

That is up to the individual state, but there are a lot of folks that hunt private properties that make a pretty big deal about hunting sheds.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When one goes shed hunting, do you shoot from outside or inside the shed rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the time of day and what you plan on doing with the shed!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Believe it or not ratting in sheds and barns with packs of terriers is a pretty popular sport in the UK ! Especially 'up north'!

A different meaning to shed hunting !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you ever go after Hares with Ferrets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We go after rabbits with ferrets. Our hares live above ground, trying to keep up with them we can shed a few lbs as we can't use dogs on them now. Wink

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading articles many years ago about people finding warrens/colonies where the hares nested and placing nets over all the escape holes and then turning female ferrets into the holes and the hares would run into the nets.

If I remember correctly, they always carried a male ferret along so if one of the females made a kill in the burrows, they would turn the male loose and he would run the female out.

I guess your hares are like the Jackrabbit and maybe the Snowshoe here in America. Are your rabbits similar to our cottontails?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting too old for digging out ferrets that's laid up after a feed.
The experts have techniques to use them to best advantage and account for ten of thousands of them. But it can ocassionaly end up digging it out.
The ferret will often have a tracking collar to help locate it in the warren.
They do sound-like your cotton tails,which would be a good visual description of our rabbits.jc
http://www.how-to-hunt-rabbit....hunting-rabbits.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for posting that.

Our JackRabbits are the equivalent to your hares.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbits and snowshoes are hares, no bones about it.

I believe we have some European brown hares in Eastern Canada that were introduced by someone about 100 years ago.

Australia has a plague of British feral bunnies and quite a few brown hares as well.

Here in Germany the rabbits got wiped out by a disease, the name escapes me right now of the disease.

Hares are still common, there are a couple that live in the helicopter pad area near my office. Fun guys to watch.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it have been Tularemia?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myxomatosis has been decimating rabbits here since the fifties. jc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shed hunting this morning and spotted a huge Boone and Crockett shed. Blew my shed call and waited, repeated this several times, but couldn't get the shed to move into a position for a shot.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote