New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lack of members? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I keep noticing the lack of members in the online heading per se as it was several years ago.That is disturbing.This is one great site + I can't imagine anyone leaving.For me,it's my everynight go to.I hope to see an increase in numbers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Agree, Randy. I love my AR ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Click on the announcements forum, you will see the new members each month

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Agree, Randy. I love my AR ...

I enjoy it as well. However, sometimes a little AR goes a long ways. I do pass it on to friends with that caveat. Cool

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Blame it on the Political Forum.

I wager some of the 'new members' are aliases for the clowns polluting the ARPF.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George, I fear you are correct. The PF has sucked a whole lot of positive energy out of the rest of AR. I just don't understand the attraction of endless, pointless arguments that change no minds.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing is certain: there have been very few hunt reports. Personally, I would not post one knowing that it would get crapped on.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just watched a Ken Burns interview. In it he offered this quote: The best arguments won't change anyone's mind but a good story will.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned this lack of participation several times. Last time I mentioned it, I was accused of hating AR shortly thereafter.

Not so. It's a great site, or at least it was. The Social Justice Warriors of Social Media trolling our ranks certainly have something to do with it. If anyone does post a hunt report, usually the faces are blurred so as not to give the anti's ammo to "make us famous". Shame that society today has come to that.

And even worse is the high horse riders amongst our very own who take every opportunity to throw each other under the bus at the slightest difference in ethics, even when all laws and regulations are followed.

Grenadier started a thread some time back about how the site had morphed from a hunting / shooting site to primarily a political one. See link:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...971045332#3971045332

I think he was right to a large extent. I can't speak for all but for me, when I come on here, I want to talk about hunting and shooting and the enjoyment that brings. Unfortunately, our way of life is under attack from all sides and many have just chosen to keep their activities private.

All one needs to do to realize there is an issue is think about when the last time you saw 100 + members signed in to the sight? It's been awhile. And many of the 50 or so you do see participate in the political forum and nowhere else. At some point, you figure out you are talking with the same 30 or 40 people world wide.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Todd, I can't help but wonder what would happen if our administrators started freezing the political forum on a random basis for up to a week or more at a time. It would certainly take the hot air out of a lot of blatherers' sails -- and break some ugly, unproductive habits. And I think it might actually stir up some interest among those here who do not live just for the fistfights in the PF. Might end up as a potential master's thesis for a "digital sociologist."
hilbily

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd, I can't help but wonder what would happen if our administrators started freezing the political forum on a random basis for up to a week or more at a time. It would certainly take the hot air out of a lot of blatherers' sails -- and break some ugly, unproductive habits. And I think it might actually stir up some interest among those here who do not live just for the fistfights in the PF. Might end up as a potential master's thesis for a "digital sociologist."
hilbily

You cannot stop idiots being stupid.

Some on that forum are never serious.

Others seem to take everything as an affront to them.

And in today’s climate you cannot have a website without a forum for politics.

Modern politics is the New Religion it seems!

Common decency, which is taught by all known religions, is forgotten in modern politics!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I agree it is important to have a PF. But I do think it would cause paroxysms of apoplexy if our PF flickered on and off for a while. Would really throw some of the bozos off their game!

Big Grin hilbily

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed, I agree it is important to have a PF. But I do think it would cause paroxysms of apoplexy if our PF flickered on and off for a while. Would really throw some of the bozos off their game!

Big Grin hilbily

No.

Some actually asked if I wished them to slow down.

I told them to post whatever they like to their heart’s content.

If anyone else wants to get upset, that is fine too. clap

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's just a sign that internet forums are a dying entity.
A few years ago most everyone on the internet had a PC or a laptop and a large keyboard.

Now, with so many using phones, it's really hard to use a forum without lots of aggravation.

Other forms of "social media" have made the forum as we know it obsolete.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
It is a more contentious world than when AR began.

As Todd inferred-- the real and perceived threat of posting-
as it may effect change in an employment or other economic situation is real.
(example-a friend in Germany losing a job for being in a picture with a legally hunted and legally killed African animal)

or the "Cecil"situation-- in which prior to his demise only a handful of people new the Lion's code name in a study-
a study that anticipated his death to either hunting , death by another male lion, poaching or disease.

The general feminization of world politics--
(yes a few women hunt) -- however, there is a direct adversarial anti-hunting component to the rise of women in positions of power.

Etc, ETC,

Sticking your head up in the current milieu,
you should expect to be targeted.

I am older, and will not have to put up with the global anti-hunting, anti-male, anti freedom, anti-logic and other changes to come--

Too bad, earth, wasn't a bad rock to live on, in even the fairly recent past

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If accurate then that's sad.One should not be persecuted for ones beliefs,especially in something so mundane as the shooting sports.However with the antis it's always a one way street.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again I noticed the dwindling member count on the heading. I don't care for this one bit. This is a superior site + I look forward to communicating with other members on a daily basis. Making friends + contacts that would have never been possible in the past. I hope this turns around. I also hope that Saeed enjoys it as much as the rest of us do. Hell, he can afford it; I can't.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
coffee

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The sad part is the number of hunters who refuse to share their hunts with us.

Others show some of their hunts on social media, while hiding their faces.

Cannot get any sillier than hiding your face while participating in a sport you enjoy, and perfectly legal.

I see plenty of these on Instagram.

By doing this, we are admitting that the stupid, brainless, eco-terrorists are winning.

One hunter going to Africa pays more towards conservation than 10,000 of these nutters on social media.

I will hunt, I will post my hunt reports, and could not careless what the likes of PETA, HSUS, LIONAID say about it.

They are nothing but a bunch of self serving parasites getting paid for pulling the wool over the eyes of clueless city dwellers who have absolutely no knowledge of the wild.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I "don't like this one bit" either.
Saeed, I wish I had hunts to share!
I fear Snyper is right. I still spend hours in front of a big iMac with keyboard. I hate my cell phone and need reading glasses to see the damned thing. But there are people looney enough to watch movies on the cell phones -- maybe even "Lawrence of Arabia"!

Eeker

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with the forums, but Bill, on the 50th anniversary of the movie I got to see it on the big screen in Seattle. It was a movie I though I would never see on the big screen. I went all by myself, sat in the middle of the theater and just soaked it in. One of the greatest ever.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bax, I saw it in first release on a big screen in a Lowe's theater in Tacoma -- ushers in beautiful uniforms and all.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bax, I saw it in first release on a big screen in a Lowe's theater in Tacoma -- ushers in beautiful uniforms and all.

Awesome!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that one can post and view without their names showing in the header. It is a setting in the individual profile.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[LIST] #1, it is hard to post pics on this site. I, and many others, have zero interest in the 3rd party photo services.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's I'm seeing is that those that were on the pc's on forums that got cell phones are now posting on the forums using TapaTalk. Many on forums on tablets too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
What's I'm seeing is that those that were on the pc's on forums that got cell phones are now posting on the forums using TapaTalk. Many on forums on tablets too.

Lots of people do it, but it's so difficult that many simply won't make the effort.

I can "tether" my phone to a PC so I can use the real keyboard and monitor, otherwise I wouldn't use forums at all.

Few people hunt now, and fewer want to "chat" on forums.

It's sad but I see it happening on all the forums, not just the ones about hunting and outdoors.

On most of the forums I frequent, the majority of people are 55 and older.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my nephew is (was) a PH using a bow. he was on TV guiding celebrities from the NFL, NASCAR, etc etc. my father in law, his grandfather, taught him hunting, stalking, etc. he lost his job recently as the interest in hunting/fishing simply isn't there anymore. not like it used to be. in a large part due to the PC crowd, he said. on the flip side of that, i remember as a kid everyone complained about there being way too many hunters at your favorite spot, and too many fishermen on your lake. i remember seeing hunters on the next ridge or above or below me on my mountain side every year. a constant concern was being crowded out of your lease or camp cause the ranchers overbooked. me, i'd rather it be too empty than too crowded. fewer hunters sure hasn't driven the damn prices down though! but i feel we are going to be forced out entirely in a few years. and i've got grandkids i'm teaching shooting and hunting and fishing now. wonder how long it will last for them.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

No the sad part is that the owner and leader of this board allows the lowlife's, miscreants, trolls, social misfits, and cowards of the Political forum to exist. The sole goal of that board is to create a hostile, argumentative environment, that condones bitterness and ill well towards other members. There you are, right in the middle of the cesspool, supporting it. Says a whole lot about you.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to kiss up in any form. Saeed is obviously interested in hunting and shooting and is generous enough to foot the bill for this site. He is non controlling about it and I have seen him take severe insults and not zap the poster. Going or not going, posting or not posting in the political section is strictly the members option. Be thick skinned if you go there, that's just the way it is. Can you imagine politics without an argument? Banning politics would just be giving in to the PC's. Thanks to the owner and leader for providing this site. The sad part is that anyone would fault him for what he does do.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think the PF is the culprit.

The use of the posted hunts by antis is probably more so.

That being said, the attacks by hunters against hunters has probably caused more folks to refuse to put their reports up than the antis using the posts. More than a few times I have been sucked in to that myself. We need to cut back on that behavior as a whole due to the whole divided we fall thing.

If you want to debate ethics, the report forum is not the place to do that. Just my personal soap box... controversy and taking sides does lead to activity, but long term it isn’t good, especially when it starts to be personal attacks.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One should not be persecuted for ones beliefs,especially in something so mundane as the shooting sports.However with the antis it's always a one way street.

C'mon guys, that's why no one posts on AR any more? I just don't believe it, and, if true, then I for one don't want their posts anyway! To blame "the antis" or "the PC crowd" for the lack of posts on AR is, IMHO, lame!
Ditto the "political" faction. As I recollect, the Political Forum was created specifically because politics was appearing increasingly in most of the forums, and most folks just wanted to get it away from the topic under discussion.
There is no question that this site, and presumably we are not alone, has got increasingly intolerant, polarized and rude. We just have to stay above that stuff, stay on topic, and be polite.
As I have said before, I came her for African Hunting and double rifles! I will not go to Africa (hunting) again, and have sold all my double rifles except one. There are other sources of information on the web for the sports I participate in ie. Bullseye pistol, skeet and IPSC. I don't see any of this as a reflection on AR. I still have my AR hat and my AR engraved pocket knife!
Thank you to Saeed for providing this web site, ad free!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
One should not be persecuted for ones beliefs,especially in something so mundane as the shooting sports.However with the antis it's always a one way street.

C'mon guys, that's why no one posts on AR any more? I just don't believe it, and, if true, then I for one don't want their posts anyway! To blame "the antis" or "the PC crowd" for the lack of posts on AR is, IMHO, lame!
Ditto the "political" faction. As I recollect, the Political Forum was created specifically because politics was appearing increasingly in most of the forums, and most folks just wanted to get it away from the topic under discussion.
There is no question that this site, and presumably we are not alone, has got increasingly intolerant, polarized and rude. We just have to stay above that stuff, stay on topic, and be polite.
As I have said before, I came her for African Hunting and double rifles! I will not go to Africa (hunting) again, and have sold all my double rifles except one. There are other sources of information on the web for the sports I participate in ie. Bullseye pistol, skeet and IPSC. I don't see any of this as a reflection on AR. I still have my AR hat and my AR engraved pocket knife!
Peter.

....ad free and no stickies like on the Castbitchlets forum!!!!

I can't point a finger at one thing that would cause low posts, if there really are. I like the Cast section and it's always been really slow, but it seems to have picked up lately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Peter.

Well said Peter. Thanks Saeed for providing the forum and all that you do.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Interesting to look at page view trends in the monthly statistics totals.
June 2015, 2.38 million page views.
June 2016 2.84 million.
June 2017 4.28 million.
June 2018 3.88 million.
June 2019 2.25 million.
There is probably some sort of Web forum industry forum out there where administrators discuss and try to parse these trends. I am sure the nature of cell phones has a lot to do with this.
I sure am glad that AR is still here after all these years.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/7651048252

yet another example of what I referred to in my earlier post--
loosing one's employment

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
The PF has sucked a whole lot of positive energy out of the rest of AR.

Bill, If that is actually the problem, then can the Politics. I have never looked at it and never will.
I am rather careful about political discussions and never put it in an open forum.

As has been said, I like AR because of interesting posts on hunting around the world and on guns! Period.
BTW, I have had good success using a PM for any information I deem not suitable for public posts; includes detailed load information, specifics about outfitters, etc.

WRT writing posts - I have written outdoor stories for 20 + years for the Dallas Woods And Waters newsletter and web site. I like doing it and some of those I send to my DWWC and other outdoor friends by email. Some, but not all I post on AR or other sites.

Then I discovered Leverguns.com while researching the purchase of a 1886 .45-90. The focus was one narrow topic + hunting without worldwide scope and I have never even looked at their politics section for the same reason as given for AR.They demand decent behavior and boot off anyone that violates the rules. Trolls are short lived there. Plus there no ads but the few on the home page that is only seen on entry.

Then I checked out several forums and settled on AR and a couple others.
I tried 24 hour campfire to read a friends post but there are some really crude folk there and the ads make it excruciatingly slow. Trolls seem to abound. Not worth my time.

Africa Hunting has some good guys and topics and a couple outfitters with whom I have hunted, but is very slow due to loading different ads as often as possible. Boring!
Some of the posters are good, but a few ask very stupid questions or are just gossip; I think that I have spotted at least two plants to post "click bait" because it is a "for profit" site. I no longer even look at those posts. I have never looked at their Politics site.

Some one mentioned Cast Boolits - I once did a search on a topic that led me to a good thread on that site and I wanted to answer a question about the .45-90.Never again! After following all the directions to become a member, I was never able to post; I could read but not post. After interacting with two different admin folk, I just gave up and have not been back.

CARDINAL RULE - NEVER POST ON FACEBOOK!!!!! THE REASONS ARE WELL KNOWN TO ANYONE THAT IS SENTIENT, BUT IGNORED BY MOST OF THE WORLD. Surprise, surprise!

By placing posts only on appropriate forums and avoiding FACEBOOK, I have never drawn the attention of the anti gun, anti hunting, anti Conservative fools on the internet. Only twice have persons been truly rude and/or crude.
One was trounced and threatened with expulsion from Leverguns(he has behaved ever since) and the other and some like folk were reasons not to post again on 24hourcampfire.

I have better things to do that read forum Politics posts and I do post and will continue to post hunting, fishing, and shooting stories on AR and other forums when and where appropriate - but NEVER Facebook!

Also Bill - you have been invited to come hunt in Texas, so do not complain about not hunting. SmilerSmilerSmiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago before her passing, Humor columnist Molly Ivens said that the secret of living in tranquility in Austin was to never get on I-35. I might paraphrase that in that context here is to never get on the PF.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

No the sad part is that the owner and leader of this board allows the lowlife's, miscreants, trolls, social misfits, and cowards of the Political forum to exist. The sole goal of that board is to create a hostile, argumentative environment, that condones bitterness and ill well towards other members. There you are, right in the middle of the cesspool, supporting it. Says a whole lot about you.

The goal of the board is to creat a hostile environment????

You are a classic proof of what stupidity is in this modern age!

You sound like one of the champions of PC!

I have absolutely, positively, no wish to try to control what members post.

Politics and religion will always divide people.

I respect all religions.

I hate all politics and politicians!

Some of you lot seem to worship politics and praise politicians, despite their failings.

You loose all common sense for the sake of following political lines.

You have memories that cannot remember yesterday, when the opposite party was ruling you and many of us posted criticism of it.

You want every one else to toe YOUR party line.

It is NOT going to happen on AR. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

The goal of the board is to creat a hostile environment????

You are a classic proof of what stupidity is in this modern age!

You sound like one of the champions of PC!

I have absolutely, positively, no wish to try to control what members post.

Politics and religion will always divide people.

I respect all religions.

I hate all politics and politicians!

Some of you lot seem to worship politics and praise politicians, despite their failings.

You loose all common sense for the sake of following political lines.

You have memories that cannot remember yesterday, when the opposite party was ruling you and many of us posted criticism of it.

You want every one else to toe YOUR party line.

It is NOT going to happen on AR. clap

salute

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote