Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VE Day plus 75 Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Don, I think you forgot this day. Perhaps bigger in the UK than here in the US.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Brits take it seriously as they were in it on the homefront. Heaven knows we lost a lot of our own boys + that's still a great tragedy but we never had to experience the bombing of our cities + the death count of civilians as the U.K. did. On a somewhat lighter note, my mother in law (passed now at 102) was staying with us a few years ago + we were watching the History channel on a WW2 program + this sweet little old lady says "You know, that Hitler fellow sure started a bunch of mischief."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not just a few of us that were around then are gratefully here today.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They really were "The Greatest Generation."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
8 May is a National Holiday in France (as is 11 November). Commemorative ceremonies were discrete this year given the ban on large gatherings.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My father had been in combat for 45 days. The 97th Infantry had just liberated the Sudetenland when Hitler cashed in.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16326 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked that line in "Band Of Brothers" where one guy reading the "Stars + Stripes says, well looks like Hitler killed himself + another guy says, why the hell didn't he do it 4 years ago?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably long forgotten in the USA is that DeValera went to the German embassy in Eire to extend his personal condolence, and the condolences of the Irish government to the German people on the death of Adolph Hitler!

"Perhaps the most controversial episode of De Valera's epic career took place in 1945 when – in light of Ireland's neutrality and independent foreign policy during the just-completed Second World War – he, as prime minister, extended his condolences to the vanquished German people over the death of Nazi dictator and architect of the Holocaust Adolf Hitler.

On May 2, 1945, just two days after Hitler and his consort Eva Braun committed suicide in their Berlin bunker, De Valera, who also served as foreign minister, and his aide, Secretary of External Affairs Joseph Walshe, visited the German Embassy in Dublin to sign a book of condolences for the departed Fuhrer. They also met with the top German envoy to Ireland, Eduard Hempel. Irish envoys in other nations did likewise, including Leopold Kerney in Spain, who called on the German Embassy in Madrid to express his condolences."

Eire was independent and neutral in WW 2.

Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid visiting family in Germany we went to Nuremberg where my Oncle Jacob + Tante Rita lived. I remember her telling us that when Hitler was in power the streets were safe; the littlest old lady could walk the darkest alley without fear; there was no crime. Selective memory I suppose. God help you if you were ANYTHING but a true Aryan, + no guarantees even then. She kept her cherished party lapel disc + gave it to my mother but it has been lost over the years. Probably valuable today; Mox-Nix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mussolini came to power because he promised that the trains would run on time! They did!
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. Helluva claim to fame though, ain't it?