New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks again, Don, for the banner Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
It warms my heart for this Christian to be reminded of the miracle of this Child's birth, and the tremendous burden He was fated to bear.
Most blessed holidays to you, Don, and your family and friends.
Bill
P.S. Calling for blessings upon your house as well, Saeed!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen!!!!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I join the others in giving thanks to you for the banner. However, it is technically incorrect. Judging by the dress, the guests are rather well off and clearly from a foreign country. They are presumably meant to be the "magi" or "wise men". The Church celebrates their coming during "Epiphany", NOT Christmas, despite what the media and artists may think. Additionally, the magi visited the "child" not the infant, and did not visit the "stable". The revelation at Christmas was for the "locals". The Epiphany was for the rest of the world, and one should not conflate the two events.
Seasons Greetings to all.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Peter, blame me. I helped Don find an image for the banner and thought the adoration of the infant Jesus was sufficient for the Nativity period. One reason among several that I did not go to a theological seminary.
Wow, just got to thinking. Does this make me a Christian apologist? Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Never mind the details: Everybody have a great Christmas and a prosperous new year. wave

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it is December 25th. here in Florida, so let me wish a Merry Christmas to all men of good will! Thanks to folks for taking my post (above) in the spirit in which it was intended, slightly tongue in cheek! With tongue still planted firmly in cheek, there is a difference between hymns and carols. Hymns are religious ie. the words are generally taken directly from Scripture, put to music, and the result is meant to be performed as part of a worship service to God. Carols, on the other hand, are secular in nature and while, having a theme relating a religious event, were not intended to be performed in a church, rather in homes or venues outside place of worship, sometimes even a pub!
Christmas, by the way, while "a day", is also a season, beginning on Christmas Day and ending the day before Epiphany (which is also a season). So, please continue singing Christmas Carols for the next 12 days! They are beautiful, refresh the soul, and bring out the best in us.
As Tiny Tim once said: "God Bless us, every one"!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PBS ended its News Hour tonight with the Carol of the Bells (Shchedryk, by Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovych) sung by all the different branches of the US Armed Forces.... Beautifully done!!!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
It warms my heart for this Christian to be reminded of the miracle of this Child's birth, and the tremendous burden He was fated to bear.
Most blessed holidays to you, Don, and your family and friends.
Bill
P.S. Calling for blessings upon your house as well, Saeed!

Thank you Bill...and all these you you and yours!

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Peace on earth, goodwill to men.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Yes for peace. Thanks. Be Well is a barely hidden blessing for all concerned. Notice the capital letters. I give it to all, so Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
X2.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote