Tools

Follow up on 10mm bear shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New information and pictures.

Full story and pictures at the link

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/...lmendorf-richardson/

On 19 September 2018, Jimmy Cox used his Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear pictured, at 10 feet. The incident leading to the dramatic events occurred the previous evening.

On the evening of 18 September 2018, Anthony Reyna was happy and excited. He and his friend, Gary, were hunting moose on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson north of and sharing a boundary with Anchorage, Alaska. Tony had drawn a moose tag for a bow hunt. He was using a 60 lb PSE ThunderBolt compound bow. He has owned the bow since he was a teenager. Tony and Gary set up and started moose calling about 6 p.m. After 40 minutes, they heard a bull moving in. They saw his antlers at 30 yards. Suddenly, a second bull appeared at 15 yards! It was not as big, but Tony was hunting for meat.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting story.

Thank you for posting!

Good shooting by the hunter!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
New information and pictures.

Full story and pictures at the link

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/...lmendorf-richardson/

On 19 September 2018, Jimmy Cox used his Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear pictured, at 10 feet. The incident leading to the dramatic events occurred the previous evening.

tu2
Thanks for posting

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've been on JBER fishing many times while up visiting my daughter in Eagle River. Seen bears and moose before. But the bears have been blacks, no grizz. It doesn't shock me about grizz, as they find them in Anchorage on a regular basis. And, being close to Eagle River where there are a lot of grizz, having them on JBER should be expected. Great story. Glad that it ended positive for everyone concerned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer an automatic pistol for protection against aggressive humans, but give me a revolver in 41 or 44 magnum out of the city limits, a 3" for bear protection, but if hunting whatever with a pistol I like the 6" barrel..A good handloaded 45 coltl suits me as well btw..Larger pistol caliber are not my cup of tea, but for those that can handlel them, they gotta be a good bet...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote