DETAILS:
Species: Alaskan Brown Bear
Hunt Dates: September 28, 2014-October 14, 2014
Outfitter: R&R Alaska Peninsula Guide Service --Rod Schuh
Guide: Justin DuBay
Size of Trophy: 10'7" Skull over 28 waiting for score
Gun: 375 H&H Reloads 285 gr Grand Slam with 75 gr Winchester 760 Powder
Scope: 1.5x5 Leupold

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hvrhunter:
DETAILS:

DETAILS:

I put in for this limited entry draw for 10 years.

We flew in on the 28th of September 3 days before the season opened to glass for bears. I had put in for this limited permit hunt for the previous 10 years. On the flight in we flew over a dead whale on the Bering Sea side of the island and we landed 3 1/2 miles inland on this cinder patch to set up camp.

Rod is an excellent pilot and operates a top notch guide service. Requests for supplies were fulfilled quickly and this is one of the reasons that I like to hunt with outfitters that own their own planes.

Bomb Shelter Tent with electric fence

Justin has guided for Rod Schuh and hunted on this island for seventeen years. Each day we hiked 2 miles to either a east ridge or a west ridge depending upon the wind direction to set up and glass for bears in the area of the dead whale. Justin was quiet yet personable. He is a professional in every aspect.

This bear walked by while we were setting up our tent. He was 300 yards away heading for the dead whale 3 1/2 miles away. It was easy to spot the bears due to the openness of the tundra. In our area, we had no thick brush or alders. We spotted an average of 26 bears per day. Our hunt focused on the dead whale. Justin knew that there was a big bear feeding on the whale because at times nearly 30 bears would leave the whale and come up onto the tundra to eat berries and sleep. We are still 1 1/2 miles from the dead whale. We could not see the whale because of the sand dunes. Besides the bears we had wolves that were trying to get to the whale, but we never observed them having any success getting whale meat. The caribou on the island have been decimated by the wolves, but we did see small groups on occasion.

On the first day glassing it was apparent that this hunt could end on the first day of the season. I did not want that to happen as I wanted to experience the entire aspect of brown bear hunting including some bad weather, wind, rain, etc. I had trained for a hunt not a shoot. And I was prepared mentally to go the distance.

We watched bears fish for salmon in these lagoons. When the ears would lay down to sleep they would disappear due to the tall grass.

I have on 6 Upper layers of clothing: Silk top, Capelene shirt, alpaca sweater, puffy jacket, Sitka storm front jacket, wiggy's 3/4 length rain parka. Bottom Layer: silk long underwear, Sitka storm front pants, glacier socks. Footwear: Kolflach plastic boots and outdoor research gaiters. I never got cold. We would sit for 6-8 hours glassing.

This volcano vented ash everyday that we were there. And we could also see Isanostki Volcano in the distance, which is also active.

Humidity never dropped below 50% and reached as high as 86% after it had rained. We got rain and spitting snow 6-10 times per day while glassing. Wind was common. I would hunker down inside my parka. The temperature was in the 40's.

On the day we flew out there was a brief window of opportunity to take off due to high winds. This is the surf with 22 MPH winds. I found orange buoys 3/4 miles inland. I could not figure out how they landed in their resting place until on the windy days I saw how far inland the surf came.

The Final Choice

As we walked up to this bear there was no ground shrinkage and Justin said we got a 10 footer. The bear was so massive that we had great difficulty rolling him over for pictures. Justin called Rod on the Sat Phone to tell him that we needed help and Rod flew in within the hour from Cold Bay and as he flew over us we looked up to see a 9+ foot bear walking in to us at 40 yards regardless of our scent. After much yelling and a warning shot the 9+footer turned and left us.

This bear's head was so massive that Justin had to lift the head so that I could slide underneath it for this photo.

After skinning this bear, Justin packed the hide to the beach and I carried the skull. The hide weighed more than the guide at 157 pounds. With the Super Cub on the beach we were able to fly the bear hide and skull out to Cold Bay. We hiked the 3 1/2 miles to the tent some in darkness to wait for our ride out. All in all that day we hiked 11 miles according to the GPS. For the next three days, I got a taste of real Unimak weather, as we were tentbound.

This bear is my North American hunting career fulfillment. This bear and hunt was beyond my expectations and I know that I can hunt the rest of my life and not even see another bear like this.

Due to the price to change the airfare by two days, Rod put me in touch with a local duck hunting guide. We hunted brandt for two days. We were successful both days for brandt and ptarmigan. It is a little unnerving going to the duck blind early in the morning and bumping into a brown bear.

We hunted the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge that borders Cold Bay.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hvrhunter:
DETAILS:

DETAILS:

I put in for this limited entry draw for 10 years.

We flew in on the 28th of September 3 days before the season opened to glass for bears. I had put in for this limited permit hunt for the previous 10 years. On the flight in we flew over a dead whale on the Bering Sea side of the island and we landed 3 1/2 miles inland on this cinder patch to set up camp.

Rod is an excellent pilot and operates a top notch guide service. Requests for supplies were fulfilled quickly and this is one of the reasons that I like to hunt with outfitters that own their own planes.

Bomb Shelter Tent with electric fence

Justin has guided for Rod Schuh and hunted on this island for seventeen years. Each day we hiked 2 miles to either a east ridge or a west ridge depending upon the wind direction to set up and glass for bears in the area of the dead whale. Justin was quiet yet personable. He is a professional in every aspect.

This bear walked by while we were setting up our tent. He was 300 yards away heading for the dead whale 3 1/2 miles away. It was easy to spot the bears due to the openness of the tundra. In our area, we had no thick brush or alders. We spotted an average of 26 bears per day. Our hunt focused on the dead whale. Justin knew that there was a big bear feeding on the whale because at times nearly 30 bears would leave the whale and come up onto the tundra to eat berries and sleep. We are still 1 1/2 miles from the dead whale. We could not see the whale because of the sand dunes. Besides the bears we had wolves that were trying to get to the whale, but we never observed them having any success getting whale meat. The caribou on the island have been decimated by the wolves, but we did see small groups on occasion.

On the first day glassing it was apparent that this hunt could end on the first day of the season. I did not want that to happen as I wanted to experience the entire aspect of brown bear hunting including some bad weather, wind, rain, etc. I had trained for a hunt not a shoot. And I was prepared mentally to go the distance.

We watched bears fish for salmon in these lagoons. When the ears would lay down to sleep they would disappear due to the tall grass.

I have on 6 Upper layers of clothing: Silk top, Capelene shirt, alpaca sweater, puffy jacket, Sitka storm front jacket, wiggy's 3/4 length rain parka. Bottom Layer: silk long underwear, Sitka storm front pants, glacier socks. Footwear: Kolflach plastic boots and outdoor research gaiters. I never got cold. We would sit for 6-8 hours glassing.

This volcano is the Shishiloan Volcano it vented ash everyday that we were there. And we could also see Isanostki Volcano in the distance, which is also active.

Humidity never dropped below 50% and reached as high as 86% after it had rained. We got rain and spitting snow 6-10 times per day while glassing. Wind was common. I would hunker down inside my parka. The temperature was in the 40's.

On the day we flew out there was a brief window of opportunity to take off due to high winds. This is the surf with 22 MPH winds. I found orange buoys 3/4 miles inland. I could not figure out how they landed in their resting place until on the windy days I saw how far inland the surf came.

The Final Choice

As we walked up to this bear there was no ground shrinkage and Justin said we got a 10 footer. The bear was so massive that we had great difficulty rolling him over for pictures. Justin called Rod on the Sat Phone to tell him that we needed help and Rod flew in within the hour from Cold Bay and as he flew over us we looked up to see a 9+ foot bear walking in to us at 40 yards regardless of our scent. After much yelling and a warning shot the 9+footer turned and left us.

This bear's head was so massive that Justin had to lift the head so that I could slide underneath it for this photo.

After skinning this bear, Justin packed the hide to the beach and I carried the skull. The hide weighed more than the guide at 157 pounds. With the Super Cub on the beach we were able to fly the bear hide and skull out to Cold Bay. We hiked the 3 1/2 miles to the tent some in darkness to wait for our ride out. All in all that day we hiked 11 miles according to the GPS. For the next three days, I got a taste of real Unimak weather, as we were tentbound.

This bear is my North American hunting career fulfillment. This bear and hunt was beyond my expectations and I know that I can hunt the rest of my life and not even see another bear like this.

Due to the price to change the airfare by two days, Rod put me in touch with a local duck hunting guide. We hunted brandt for two days. We were successful both days for brandt and ptarmigan. It is a little unnerving going to the duck blind early in the morning and bumping into a brown bear.

We hunted the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge that borders Cold Bay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a tremendous trophy. Congratulations.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Great report and pictures,, congratulations on a dandy brown bear!

jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!! I go into the draw next year fingers crossed, my buddy got drawn this year and hunts next spring hope I have the same luck and get a bear as good as that, thanks for sharing

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report on a fantastic adventure..

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear, what a monster! Not only the trophy of a lifetime, but the hunt of a lifetime.

Congrats!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4718 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. We get so used to seeing Beavers on pontoons, they look damn cool sporting taildragger gear.

Mike

Posts: 21148 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hvrhunter,

Huge congrats on a tremendous trophy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Love reports from AK! Congrats on the wonderful bear!

Posts: 2635 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a bear! And wonderful landscapes! Congratulations for your adventure

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous bear congratulations.

Arjun

Posts: 2534 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Wow! great hunt!

Posts: 5695 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow what a great trophy congratulations reminded me of the great adventure I had hunting Brown bears

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a monster bear! Congrats to you and your guide on that one.

Posts: 10525 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
STUD of a bear!

Awesome report and congrats.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
A dream bear! Congrats on a great hunt! I can't wait to try hunting the island, hopefully I draw it one day!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect in every way!
Thank you!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful trophy. Beautiful Big Bear that!!

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can is WOW!
Well done.....

Posts: 10126 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. You certainly put a lot of thought and preparation into the hunt and collected the bear and memories of a lifetime.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
hvr, what make of airplane is that?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
hvr, what make of airplane is that?

That is a DHC-2 Beaver on huge AK bush wheels.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant hunt and report.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9855 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Spectacular trophy and hunt.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 860 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote