THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Another "Grizzly Bear" mauls HUNTER.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "Grizzly Bear" mauls HUNTER.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been living in Alaska for 52 of the last 75 years, and in my opinion the number of bear mauling's in Alaska for 2021 is unbelievable.

https://www.alaskasnewssource....elias-national-park/

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An increase in bear population along with an increase in human actively.

Results more human bear conflict.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

If I well remember, there were more bear attacks on humans in...maybe 1968, or even 2008 or so?. According to the reports I read, it was a year that there was a berries crash because of adverse weather. But there are so many inaccurate reports on the Internet that is hard to tell what's happening. For example, I was reading the data of a report posted on the Internet about bear and other animals mauling people, and according to the report none have been attacked by wolves anywhere. The fact is that there were a least two wolf attacks in Canada in recent years, and a few in Alaska, one on which a teacher was killed by wolves, a lady was bitten several times on her thighs by a wolf (she kicked it off), and a young child who was being dragged out of a village (Alaska) by a wolf, and being rescued by the villagers. The kid survived, by required a lot of stitches.
--------
Re-edited 09/10/21 to post one of the records relating to people who have landed in the hospital from 2000-2017:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vi...dc7170d216ed.pdf.pdf

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I well remember, there were more bear attacks on humans in...maybe 1968, or even 2008 or so?

We are tied with the previous record year for fatalities.

Fatalities are easy to track.

Attacks are not.

I would really question the any number pre internets.

Because who and how is one going to gather that data. Very hard to do so. They would be in print media. So one would have to see the story to do so.

For 1968 I find only two one black, one polar both in Canada.

For 2008 I find three One black, two brown one of those being a in captivity.

Been trying to do a correlation between the number of fatalities and other attacks.

Good numbers are very hard to come up with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact is that there were a least two wolf attacks in Canada in recent years, and a few in Alaska, one on which a teacher was killed by wolves, a lady was bitten several times on her thighs by a wolf (she kicked it off), and a young child who was being dragged out of a village (Alaska) by a wolf, and being rescued by the villagers. The kid survived, by required a lot of stitches.

We have been lied to for decades about wolves.

The Russians would not allow wolf attacks to be reported on. So the people couldn't use that as a reason to process arms.

Most all reports now days some where in the report is the say it's is a rare attack Or a extremely rare attack.

One Vancouver park has had 40 coyote attacks since Dec.

In the roughly nine months since December 2020, 40 coyote attacks in Stanley Park have been reported, including one last week where a 69-year-old man was bitten on the leg while walking on a trail. None have so far been fatal.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...20far%20been%20fatal.

Now it is 45.

They are finely talking about killing them.

The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development said in an emailed update Wednesday that program is underway following nearly four dozen attacks on humans in the popular park.

When the numbers were in the 30's they were still talking about how rare they were.

Humans for thousands of year knew bigger predators' were dangerous.

Just in the last 60 or years so the narrative was changed as more people live in the cities. Having no contact with them.

And any large numbers of predators were killed off.

A active media and educational campaign to tell us how wonderful and peaceful they really are.

Pushed by the anti-firearm and anti hunting crowd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Alaska:
quote:

If I well remember, there were more bear attacks on humans in...maybe 1968, or even 2008 or so?. According to the reports I read, it was a year that there was a berries crash because of adverse weather. But there are so many inaccurate reports on the Internet that is hard to tell what's happening. For example, I was reading the data of a report posted on the Internet about bear and other animals mauling people, and according to the report none have been attacked by wolves anywhere. The fact is that there were a least two wolf attacks in Canada in recent years, and a few in Alaska, one on which a teacher was killed by wolves, a lady was bitten several times on her thighs by a wolf (she kicked it off), and a young child who was being dragged out of a village (Alaska) by a wolf, and being rescued by the villagers. The kid survived, by required a lot of stitches.

Come on now! P doggy read it on the interweb and posted it here, so it has to be factual
rotflmo coffee killpc

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If you want to be safe stay out of the wilderness and stay in the cities (oh never mind they're lots of 2 legged predators there, another reason to carry a handgun)

Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since Alaska has such a large landmass and is not very populated, a lot of us are surrounded by wilderness. Moose, sometimes wolves, foxes, and even bears can be in the backyard depending on where in Alaska one lives at.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
quote:

Come on now! P doggy read it on the interweb and posted it here, so it has to be factual
rotflmo coffee killpc

One needs to give credit where credit is do.

Ray Alaska posted that information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A statement I'll stand by.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
If you want to be safe stay out of the wilderness and stay in the cities (oh never mind they're lots of 2 legged predators there, another reason to carry a handgun)

Smiler

Each and every area of land as it own and sometimes unique dangers.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since Alaska has such a large landmass and is not very populated, a lot of us are surrounded by wilderness. Moose, sometimes wolves, foxes, and even bears can be in the backyard depending on where in Alaska one lives at.

We have had all of the above in our yard as well as Coyote and Lynx and I technically live in Anchorage, though the zip code ends at my back door and there's 600 square miles of wilderness behind me.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

We have had all of the above in our yard as well as Coyote and Lynx and I technically live in Anchorage, though the zip code ends at my back door and there's 600 square miles of wilderness behind me.

I don’t care what the wildlife laws are. If I had that bear in my backyard I would spend all my hunting and fishing $$$$ on donuts instead and feed him every day. He would be my donut buddy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That bear is just looking for a tasty picinick basket!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, wouldn't that make you an enabler?

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

I am always for the bears - hope they maul a few more people and eat them like donuts Big Grin

I think this bear would love the special dunkin donuts in red velvet Smiler

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

I am always for the bears - hope they maul a few more people and eat them like donuts Big Grin

Mike

QUESTION: Would it still be funny for you if you neighbor and good friend of 22 years, was mauled to death and "EATEN" in your backyard.....???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
quote:

Mike

QUESTION: Would it still be funny for you if you neighbor and good friend of 22 years, was mauled to death and "EATEN" in your backyard.....???

I would notch it up to the cost of living in Alaska before I would blame the bear. It’s why there are rules also against feeding bears ect.

But as with shark attacks - if you don’t go out in the Atlantic ocean in Florida you don’t get bit by sharks (very rare but there are lots of sharks). If you don’t go out in Bear country you don’t get attacked by a bear.

Otherwise it’s the cost of living in bear country.

Killed by Bear

https://www.backpacker.com/sur...-just-a-coincidence/

Killed by Lightening

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-victims

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://petpedia.co/bear-attack-statistics/

whitetail deer kill far more people in US every year than bears do.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live in Florida snakes will be as risky as bears in Alaska but probably not adjusted on a per capita basis - lot more people in Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...in_the_United_States

Those snake bites (nearly always for coral snakes now ) that survive often involve financial bankruptcy because the medical treatment often goes thru most insurance plans

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

I would notch it up to the cost of living in Alaska before I would blame the bear. It’s why there are rules also against feeding bears ect.

But as with shark attacks - if you don’t go out in the Atlantic ocean in Florida you don’t get bit by sharks (very rare but there are lots of sharks). If you don’t go out in Bear country you don’t get attacked by a bear.

Killed by Bear

Killed by Lightening

Mike[/QUOTE]

Your an ASS'HOLE......Dan Schilling was my friend and neighbor. And you don't know "SHIT" about living with Grizzly Bears. You live in a fucking "CITY" like most of the spineless cowards afraid of the wilderness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta what's with all that horseshit you're posting?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don’t care what the wildlife laws are. If I had that bear in my backyard I would spend all my hunting and fishing $$$$ on donuts instead and feed him every day. He would be my donut buddy.

Mike

The bear and moose in his backyard are a normal occurrence in Alaska. If you were to feed that bear, your "cost of living" would go quite high defending yourself in court. The moose and bear are not doing anything to anybody, and have nothing to do with a hunter being injured by a bear.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
He looks cuddly ..,.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He looks cuddly ..,.

Yes, it does, and quite plump too Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Inn Alaska one is far more likely to be killed by a bear then lighting.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/...hich-is-more-deadly/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Killed by Bear

Killed by Lightening

Mike

Your an ASS'HOLE......Dan Schilling was my friend and neighbor. And you don't know "SHIT" about living with Grizzly Bears. You live in a fucking "CITY" like most of the spineless cowards afraid of the wilderness.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry for your friend and neighbor. I apologize for being ad lib and sounding dismissive towards people killed by bears.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am sorry for your friend and neighbor. I apologize for being ad lib and sounding dismissive towards people killed by bears.

Mike

No worries......accepted.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
He looks cuddly ..,.

It's a she!! Unless she prefers some other pronoun but I doubt it. What you don't see in the picture is her cub of the previous year in the brush behind the picture.

They were not an issue and left in an hour never to be seen again.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
But she identifies as a he! lol

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
But she identifies as a he! lol

animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I never get any thing neat in my back yard like moose or brown bears.

Just black bears, deer, wolves, bob cats, coyotes, foxes, and one elk ect.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually that was my FRONT yard. Here's my backyard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbite, I am envious!

Great photos, thank you.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice view.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually that was my FRONT yard. Here's my backyard.

Wow, and Joyce looks great!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://petpedia.co/bear-attack-statistics/

whitetail deer kill far more people in US every year than bears do.

Mike

And it's more embarrassing to be killed by a deer!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Soudough, very sorry it was your buddy was killed. But anyone who spends time outside the city limits of the few cities in Alaska takes a risk. We are not at the top of the food chain - even if we are armed with the appropriate "deterrent".

Much like flying in Alaska or boating on a swift river. Alaska is an unforgiving place. You only need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time once to suffer the consequences. It's a part of life in the Great Land.

https://craigmedred.news/2020/08/19/bears-attack/

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are not at the top of the food chain - even if we are armed with the appropriate "deterrent".

Yes we are other wise we would not need all the laws protecting the animals from us.