New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Fishing Information
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I realize that this is a Hunting Forum but thought that I might get more information
than the seldom visited Fishing Forum. Moderators: Please move this if necessary.

I am looking at taking myself, my son, and my wife to Alaska for a fishing trip. My son is graduating from college and I would like to plan a nice trip.

Here is what I am looking for:

Time Frame: June-Mid August- 2020 (if possible) or 2021

Length of stay: 5 days

Fishing type: Spin, bait, open to anything (my son and wife do not fly fish). Would like to fish a river, ocean and possibly some time at a lake.

Fish: Salmon, Halibut, trout (would really like to try for all three if possible).

I would really like to get away from a large charter type trip. I am looking for a small operation that is less crowded (if possible). A more remote location would be great.

Being that this will be my first trip to Alaska, please pardon my questions as I have zero experience there and am
not sure if what I am looking for is entirely possible.

I have been on a few guided hunting trips, state side, that have been mediocre at best. I have been on 2 trips stateside that were excellent. Therefore, I want to spend a little more time doing some research.

Thanks!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fishing type: Spin, bait, open to anything (my son and wife do not fly fish). Would like to fish a river, ocean and possibly some time at a lake.

Fish: Salmon, Halibut, trout (would really like to try for all three if possible).

I would really like to get away from a large charter type trip. I am looking for a small operation that is less crowded (if possible). A more remote location would be great.

I feel like you are describing almost exactly what Scott King offers(King’s Westside Charters). You should talk to him as he offers outstanding salmon fishing on the Nushagak in Bristol Bay, and great trout fishing on the chain lakes. No crowds, just beautiful scenery and lots of fish. Trust me, that would be the trip of a lifetime.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason,

I will certainly look at this.

By the way, I see that you were from SW Wyoming. I lived near Evanston for the past 18
years until my recent move.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
It really depends on the type of trip you want. There are some fantastic, remote outfits that can provide all you listed. These trips come at a price, based on transportation costs, etc.
The more common trip is based out of the Seward peninsula, or perhaps Ketchikan / POW island. You are closer to towns, restaraunts, etc., but also more people in the area. These are typically more economical trips, with side trips available for the family. Less of a dedicated fishing trip, and yet still very successful.
Determine a budget to help you focus on the possibilities.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

I feel like you are describing almost exactly what Scott King offers(King’s Westside Charters). You should talk to him as he offers outstanding salmon fishing on the Nushagak in Bristol Bay, and great trout fishing on the chain lakes. No crowds, just beautiful scenery and lots of fish. Trust me, that would be the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks Jason.
Actually the fishing in freshwater is very good.
We've seen an unfortunate downturn in our king salmon fishing but the rest of the four species of pacific salmon remain strong.
I'm sorry, I can't offer any salt water fishing for halibut or other. We can pursue freshwater fishing for salmon, trout, grayling and arctic char.
I can offer tent camps, remote cabins and day trips out of my BNB. I'd happily instruct in the art of fly casting but there's tons on spin gear available. Big Grin

On the other hand, Kodiak I think offers exactly what you are looking for. The fishing is very good and the variety you are asking about is there. Kodiak is a quick and easy flight from anchorage and I'd think a coho salmon/ halibut trip would suit you nicely.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

Thanks Jason.
Actually the fishing in freshwater is very good.
We've seen an unfortunate downturn in our king salmon fishing but the rest of the four species of pacific salmon remain strong.
I'm sorry, I can't offer any salt water fishing for halibut or other. We can pursue freshwater fishing for salmon, trout, grayling and arctic char.
I can offer tent camps, remote cabins and day trips out of my BNB. I'd happily instruct in the art of fly casting but there's tons on spin gear available. Big Grin

On the other hand, Kodiak I think offers exactly what you are looking for. The fishing is very good and the variety you are asking about is there. Kodiak is a quick and easy flight from anchorage and I'd think a coho salmon/ halibut trip would suit you nicely.

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the reply. Saltwater fishing is not a requirement and I’d be interested in talking to you. Please PM your contact info and a convenient time to discuss. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I have had is Baronoff Outfitters by Mike Trotter. Great family set up and in a great area. Going again this year.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
As mentioned be sure to take a look at various southeast Alaska options. Depending on what you want you can stay in a lodge or in town. Lots of other things to do while there too.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't fished with Scott, but have fished the Nush for kings. Get out of the ANC area if you can.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote