Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I am a newbie to anything Alaskan,I watch programs on Alaska just about every evening,how do I get get started?I would like to hunt in Alaska,I want to experience Alaska,I do not collect trophies,I just enjoy the hunt,where do I start?without breaking the bank or making it just the once in a lifetime hunt? thanks for any suggestions.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a fly out DIY for caribou.
Generally, caribou are very Alaskan, in big herds and not particularly tough to hunt. Caribou are a manageable to pack, don't take an extraordinary firearm to kill and don't require a guide, pack string of horses or Sherpas. While caribou hunting you may well be able to do some excellent fishing, see bears and moose, possibly some migrating waterfowl and who knows, maybe some Dall sheep.

Fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks then out to a rural town or village. Meet your rural air carrier there and fly into the hunting grounds. When the hunt is over, allow a day or so back at the rural town or village to process your game and get it started shipping home and then head home yourself.

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To see all of Alaska, I would suggest two hunts. It's a big state and one hunt won't really show you all of it.

Caribou as suggested by Scott, and I would also suggest a coastal or island black bear and/or deer hunt.

Both can be done for a reasonable price DIY or aren't really spendy as guided hunts either.

Moose would be the last of the non-guided options, but you really need a herd of buddies to make that one enjoyable if you are successful.

Another good way to see and experience the state is fishing. There is a lot of fishing there both coastal and remote interior.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
To see all of Alaska, I would suggest two hunts. It's a big state and one hunt won't really show you all of it.

Caribou as suggested by Scott, and I would also suggest a coastal or island black bear and/or deer hunt.

Both can be done for a reasonable price DIY or aren't really spendy as guided hunts either.

Moose would be the last of the non-guided options, but you really need a herd of buddies to make that one enjoyable if you are successful.

Another good way to see and experience the state is fishing. There is a lot of fishing there both coastal and remote interior.

Jeremy

Another vote for caribou. A black bear and/or deer hunt is a good hunt, but hardly unique in terms of species or even flora. Caribou on the other hand, is quite a bit different.

Unless you really want a moose, I would steer clear; packing meat is quite a chore and you better be able to judge 50" - two great reasons to hire a guide.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
All the above is good advice ! But be sure to compare air charter services and read and understand the game regulations

It's a great adventure !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Generally, caribou are very Alaskan, in big herds and not particularly tough to hunt. Caribou are a manageable to pack, don't take an extraordinary firearm to kill and don't require a guide, pack string of horses or Sherpas. While caribou hunting you may well be able to do some excellent fishing, see bears and moose, possibly some migrating waterfowl and who knows, maybe some Dall sheep.

Fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks then out to a rural town or village. Meet your rural air carrier there and fly into the hunting grounds. When the hunt is over, allow a day or so back at the rural town or village to process your game and get it started shipping home and then head home yourself.

Anchorage or Fairbanks ? which would you prefer?I am thinking of maybe taking a few nights off & fly to either city as a sightseer with my girlfriend & do some exploration at the same time?
The rural towns or villages,are they within driving distance? & a flight from there to the hunting grounds or you have to fly right from the bigger city?
Thanks.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

Anchorage or Fairbanks ? which would you prefer?I am thinking of maybe taking a few nights off & fly to either city as a sightseer with my girlfriend & do some exploration at the same time?
The rural towns or villages,are they within driving distance? & a flight from there to the hunting grounds or you have to fly right from the bigger city?
Thanks.

There is about 15% or so of Alaska you can drive to. tu2 Airplane & boat are the way to see real Alaska!! tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Just understand that even a DIY hunt can be very expensive in Alaska, by lower 48 standards, due to the costs of flying to Alaska, license, tags, shipping gear and animals, charter flights, and gear rentals/buying. As others have said most of Alaska is off the road system. If you can drive there so can others.....and they will. Getting off the road adds lots of costs. Start looking at the hunting regulations to get familiar with what things look like. They are incredibly complex and very area and species specific. Additionally a good book, although a bit dated, is Chris Batin's Hunting in Alaska. The general info will be good and the area/species specific information will help you to understand the hunting available in different areas in the state.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting...-Batin/dp/0916771113

Good luck!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Once you've read a bit to up your Alaska hunting IQ, I'd try to identify a species or two to target. Then find the area. Narrow it down to a couple places. Then call the state and/or federal biologists for the areas you are considering to get up to date hunt area info. That helps a bit once you have a specific plan in mind. Don't just call and ask where to go.

Sitka blacktail deer, caribou, and black bear are all more nonresident/DIY/first timer friendly in my opinion.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the posts,thanks.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Appreciate that,replied to,thanks.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
What do you want to hunt? Caribou, moose, black bears, birds?

Hunting off the road system for caribou or moose is a low success proposition - including the Haul Road (Dalton Highway). Like Brett said, it is relatively expensive compared to most Lower 48 hunts.

My two recommendations for caribou/moose or deer would be a fly in drop off hunt for the 40 Mile caribou herd or a moose with one of the outfitters out of Tok (40 Mile or Tok Air Service). They'll drop you into a good spot to take an animal.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...ls&huntfile_id=22229

The other high success option would be one of the boat services out of Kodiak for Sitka deer. Yah, it's only deer, but Kodiak is spectacular. Kodiak Combos is a well known outfitter.

All options cost money. BUT, don't waste your time and $$$ flying all the way to Anchorage or Fairbanks for a low success hunt off the road system.

If you like bird hunting, book with Alpine Creek Lodge off the "Denali Highway" (hint, it's a 125 mile dirt road). They can hook you up with good hunting for ptarmigan, and great folks.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
What do you want to hunt? Caribou, moose, black bears, birds?

Hunting off the road system for caribou or moose is a low success proposition - including the Haul Road (Dalton Highway). Like Brett said, it is relatively expensive compared to most Lower 48 hunts.

My two recommendations for caribou/moose or deer would be a fly in drop off hunt for the 40 Mile caribou herd or a moose with one of the outfitters out of Tok (40 Mile or Tok Air Service). They'll drop you into a good spot to take an animal.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...ls&huntfile_id=22229

The other high success option would be one of the boat services out of Kodiak for Sitka deer. Yah, it's only deer, but Kodiak is spectacular. Kodiak Combos is a well known outfitter.

All options cost money. BUT, don't waste your time and $$$ flying all the way to Anchorage or Fairbanks for a low success hunt off the road system.

If you like bird hunting, book with Alpine Creek Lodge off the "Denali Highway" (hint, it's a 125 mile dirt road). They can hook you up with good hunting for ptarmigan, and great folks.

Thank you.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on two do it yourself Alaskan hunts probably 30-35 years ago for Moose and Caribou where a friend of mine and I flew to a remote location on a stream NE of Kotzebue.
We were successful on Moose and Caribou.
Know or prepare on how to survive (weather / Injuries). Get in the best shape you can, I do not care if some one says one hunt is easier than another.
I went up there in damn good shape but returned 10 lbs less than I began the trip with. That was 7-8 days in the bush.
We did pack out 4 caribou and two moose on each trip.
I will always have those memories and stories to tell my grandkids.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

The dirt road is actually very good. I've driven it a number of times, the last time was last September in a touring car. Saw Caribou not far from the lodge. And the Bondys at Alpine Creek Lodge can also take you fishing for grayling if you wish. Good folks, good food, decent lodging.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

Seeing Alaska and hunting Alaska are almost two entirely separate activities that happen to take place in the same state. You can easily spend two weeks just driving the few roads we have to cover the state and do some fishing. In general, all villages are off the road system and there is very little infrastructure there set up for tourists.

Hunting is generally flying into Anchorage or Fairbanks, and then taking a regional transport plane, and then a bush plane. Caribou hunting can be an outstanding hunt, or it can be not so great. Caribou are migratory animals so it's like fishing for spawning salmon. If you are there when the run is coming through, you'll limit out. If you arrive and are told you should have been here yesterday you can fish and hunt to your hearts content and get skunked. And then there is weather that can keep you tent bound for a week, or weather that makes you wonder why you didn't bring you shorts and t shirt, or the next day wondering why you didn't bring every piece of clothing you own.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
This has been pretty informative & helpful to me,thanks to all,lots of food for thought tu2

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This has been pretty informative & helpful to me,thanks to all,lots of food for thought tu2

I've been following Alaska, because I plan to go back there when this is all over, hopefully. They seem to have a real covid problem to deal with.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that getting the meat home can be costly. Consider the enjoyment of traveling to Alaska by vehicle with coolers or a small platform on back that can handle a small freezer and generator. When you arrive, you can catch a plane to your remote hunting spot.The hunt is not just about being there with a rifle, its about the whole trip. If you can find a buddy who is interested, and share the ride, it can add much to the memories. Keep in mind that a DIY hunt in a remote area should be planned from a safety standpoint. Danger can be behind the next bush you pass.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Many can't or don't want all the meat--moose especially. The option is to donate it to the local village or the cargo planes will fly it to Anchorage for no charge if the meat is donated to the homeless shelters.

For what meat you do want to take home. The airlines will fly insulated boxes as your checked baggage and UPS has the same insulated and leak proof boxes for their shipping. The meat can be turned into sausage or stick or burger and the processor will mail it to you when completed.

I live 100 miles north of Anchorage. If I can assist PM me. If you rent a car to travel you can save hotel costs by staying at my place if you wish.
Cal

PS. Alpine lodge is a great place. Average food and rooms but probably the best remote location on the road system. They can take you for moose, black bear, caribou, wolf on their ATVs, hunt the days and take a bed at their lodge. Fishing is good in the area and the scenery spectacular. You can rent a car and it's 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Anchorage. I could also drive you there. If you hunt from their lodge you can avoid lugging all of your camp gear with you. It's also nice to have a hot shower at the end of the day.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

I've been following Alaska, because I plan to go back there when this is all over, hopefully. They seem to have a real covid problem to deal with. They seem to have a real covid problem to deal with.

They've had 4975 cases with 37 deaths total and only 39 in the hospital currently. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.....meaning cautious travel while maintaining protocols should be permitted IMO.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Many can't or don't want all the meat--moose especially. The option is to donate it to the local village or the cargo planes will fly it to Anchorage for no charge if the meat is donated to the homeless shelters.

For what meat you do want to take home. The airlines will fly insulated boxes as your checked baggage and UPS has the same insulated and leak proof boxes for their shipping. The meat can be turned into sausage or stick or burger and the processor will mail it to you when completed.

I live 100 miles north of Anchorage. If I can assist PM me. If you rent a car to travel you can save hotel costs by staying at my place if you wish.
Cal

PS. Alpine lodge is a great place. Average food and rooms but probably the best remote location on the road system. They can take you for moose, black bear, caribou, wolf on their ATVs, hunt the days and take a bed at their lodge. Fishing is good in the area and the scenery spectacular. You can rent a car and it's 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Anchorage. I could also drive you there. If you hunt from their lodge you can avoid lugging all of your camp gear with you. It's also nice to have a hot shower at the end of the day.

Appreciate the offer,will definitely keep it in mind,thanks.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am fairly certain the cost of driving just to haul all of the moose meat would be more expensive than flying it.

My guide Mike Fairbanks sent me vacuum sealed moose tenderloins and backstraps next day air. Ms AAZW and I have really enjoyed it - but hey, the antelope I shot two weeks ago is pretty good too!

We don't eat beef, so if red meat is on the menu, it is something I have shot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Cal

You forgot the pies.....excellent pies. We'll be in the area next week accompanying a young couple newly resident to Alaska who have never hunted Caribou. Looking forward to stopping in for pie.

Cheers
J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot the pies.....excellent pies. We'll be in the area next week accompanying a young couple newly resident to Alaska who have never hunted Caribou. Looking forward to stopping in for pie.

Claude, Jennifer, Bob, and Chrissy the cook are all great folks. I stayed with them for a week while hunting grizzly. I loved Chrissy's food and yes, the pies! Interesting to meet people from all over the world who pass through there and stay at Alpine Creek Lodge. tu2