New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just back with a bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from my 10 day brown bear boat hunt with Dale Adams out of Sitka. First time....had a wonderful time. Dale is a 1st class bear guide and a most enjoyable companion. Saw 50+/- bears...killed mine at 7 PM...last day of the hunt. The bears were all rubbed....unusual. F&G thinks the mild winter and minimal snow contributed to the problem. Mine has a few rubs that my taxidermist can mitigate with some dye. Still should make a nice rug. Skull measured by F&G at 23 13/16".

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Phil !!

I came here from Grafton 40 yrs ago.

Pictures please?

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Congrats! A brown bear hunt is something you'll always remember.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Must be more to the story and pictures?

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Come-on Phil,, your killing us!

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having trouble posting a picture. I'll email if someone will post it. Thanks.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
sure email it to me at cscappaticci@comcast.net

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Phil here you are nice bear!

Phil's bear

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. A few more details....shot him with a .458 Win Mag, 300 gr. Cutting Edge ESP Raptor bullets, Leupold VX-6, 1x6, illuminated, 30 mm tube...great scope! 60 yds. Broadside double lung,he did his dance and came at us. Dale & I both fired, solid hits and he was done. The cook was with us and got it on video....sure hope I get a copy. F&G said average skull measurements on bears checked in to date was 22 5/8". Mine was bait bigger at 23 13/16".

Life Member- NRA & SCI

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Congratiulations Phil,,,he's a beauty..you gotta love those 458's!

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Phil ; great looking bear. Looking at the timber behind you in the pic almost makes me homesick. ! If you could? Which island? Is Dale still using that Interarms 458 . ? Did u get an exit on the double lung? What load does Dale shoot?
Again, congratulations on a beautiful bear.
P.s. what did it square?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chichigof Island, just around the corner from Peril Strait. Dale is shooting a nickel plated Win. Mod. 70 .458 Win Mag. with 500 gr. Federal Safari ammo...not sure what bullet. Same scope as mine...VX-6, 1-6 30mm, illuminated. Both of my CE ESP Raptors exited. On the first shot, I found one of the "petals" at the exit wound. I almost didn't shoot because the bear has some rubs. The fresh hide squared 8.5'.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
. Great on all counts!! I've had very good success with the 300 gr X and TSX on brown bear from my 458 . And they give about half the felt recoil of the 500 gr loads. And they zoom right along.
I was thinking around 8 1/2' for a 24" skull. !!
How did you like Southeast?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a great trip....very scenic, the ocean is alive with creatures of all kinds. The whales were a little intimidating when close to the skiffs, but a wonderful sight to see! Enjoyed eating the fresh caught seafood as well as catching it! We had a great cook on board....a farm gal from upstate NY of all places. Outstanding food! It could become a habit....except for the 4 yr. wait for another bear tag and the cost. A trip I will remember.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Not all Game Management Units require a 4-year wait, and there are always boat-based black bear hunts.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good trip. I hunt with Dale and Alex almost every year. Good people in a great area.

We may have met in the hotel, I hunted the trip right before you for Black Bear.

To answer your question Dale normally shoots 500grn Aframes out the ole 4 5 8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and picture. I'm 6 weeks away from a brown bear hunt in BC, and the sight of yours is kicking up the anticipation.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bear, Phil! Congrats! What make is your 458?

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fishdog, Yes, I think we did meet at the hotel....you were finishing dinner if I recall.

FFemt5287, My .458 is a Win Mod 70 that started life as a .375 that didn't shoot well, so...I replaced the .375 barrel with a Mod 70, 22" .458 Win factory take off barrel and had Dennis Olsen in Plains , MT do a work over for performance and dependability. Dale liked it, so I gave it to him as a tip. He seemed quite happy!

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI