THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Looking for answers to Travel to an intrastate travel in Alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for answers to Travel to an intrastate travel in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Contemplating a deer hunt on Kodiak in Nov with son. My buddy who lives in Chugiak is going with his 2 sons. Trying to wade through the Covid deal in AK which seems a bit extreme. Understand you need a negative 72 hours prior. Plan on spending the night in ANC then Kodiak-or go straight Kodiak. Have to spend the night in Kodiak Then fly to bush etc. After talking to 3 departments in AK Gov it seems they want you to take a second test 7-14 days after arrival. So I assume after I leave the bush. But what if you leave AK before 14? I read that if you go POS you quarantine 14 days on your dime. Left a message at some office that is supposed to clarify. (3rd such office)

Looking for anyone who has travelled and hunted and and dealt with this Covid fiasco.

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Test before you go and again when you get off the plane.
In Dillingham there's a test facility at the airport so you can walk off the plane, get your nose q tipped and be on your way to the field.
I'd certainly fly straight thru to Kodiak and not leave the anchorage airport.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled to Alaska 2x since this all started. My observations are that there is little to zero follow-up after you get off the plane. In Anchorage there were dozens of folks walking to the left of the line for entry, just blowing it off. In King Salmon there was an employee handing out pamphlets. Follow the rules and there are no problems. When we were up there was no follow-up test required.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Revised travel protocols in effect

Health Mandate 10, which addresses requirements regarding travel into Alaska, has been revised and went into effect on October 16, 2020. The changes keep protective protocols in place but are aimed at making the rules simpler and easier to understand. Key changes include:

Changes to the Travel Portal now consolidate information for residents and nonresidents. As before, Alaska residents are eligible for a free COVID test when they return to Alaska, if they so choose, and may also opt to self-quarantine for 14 days rather than take a test.

Nonresidents are strongly encouraged to take a COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to departure but can test upon arrival into Alaska for $250.
Travelers into Alaska are now required to social distance for 5 days. A second test is optional but not required. Five days is the median incubation period. Strict social distancing allows travelers to visit outdoor public places, but asks that travelers remain six feet away from anyone not in your immediate household, wear a face covering and not enter restaurants, bars, gyms, community centers, sporting facilities, office buildings, and school or daycare facilities. Do not participate in any group activities, including sporting events and practices, weddings, funerals, or other gatherings.

A second test is optional and can be done 5-14 days after arrival

Residents leaving and returning to Alaska within a 72 hour window do not need to test or quarantine on return.

Critical infrastructure workers should follow their company’s protocols any time they travel.
Local restrictions still apply. Please check with local communities before you travel.

Best place to recheck for changes and updates. The goalposts keep moving

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a bad year to go deer hunting on Kodiak. Deer took a big hit this past winter. There are still some there but be prepared to work for anything decent.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK thanks for that info Jake. Weather?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last winter was ugly for the deer. Haven’t heard any official numbers but the main air taxi owner said he’s seen one good set of antlers since August. August guys did better as the deer are all up high above brushkine and easier to find. When the rut starts they’ll be more active but less of them to choose from sounds like.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
In Dillingham there's a test facility at the airport so you can walk off the plane, get your nose q tipped and be on your way to the field.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that test will set you back 250. I was looking into that.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that test will set you back 250. I was looking into that.

Grizz

Free here in DLG.
Paid for by the Municipality and tribe with corona money.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Grizz

Get your own in your state or province within 3 days of getting off the plane in Anc. AK residents are free at Anc. Int., non res. are $250.00
tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote