THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Luggage from Point A to B, back to A

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luggage from Point A to B, back to A
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
In getting from the Salt Lake City airport to Anchorage, then onto a smaller flight to an outer Alaska village and subsequently in the outfitters bush plane to the base camp, I've been trying to research the luggage possibilities.

It seems to me, in my research that the airlines will allow 2 checked bags and one carry on.

The carry on will be my Eberlestock Just One, 107 which when removing the waist belt fits the airlines max size. That one is a "no brainer".

The 1st checked luggage will be my Storm 3300 double rifle case. Again, "no brainer".

It's that 2nd piece of checked luggage which is, in my mind, the one to worry about. This is the one which will likely carry the bulk of your gear; the BIG DUFFLE. I've read it's better to carry smaller duffles within the large duffle. The large duffle being easier to get around in at the airports, to and from temporary lodging, ground transportation, etc. Once loading up on the Super Cub, the BIG duffle is too large and thus the smaller duffles are pulled out and easily stowed.

Is that the case?

What is about to go on sale at Cabelas is the "Ripcord" 3-piece Luggage set; 50% off---$75 instead of $150. Is this a decent set of luggage for such a trip/hunt?

For the smaller duffles, I was thinking of getting the Super Cub duffle or using two of my old army duffle bags.

Opinions? Idea?

Thanks

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
What kind of hunt you're going on would help with answers to the question.

I've found too much gear to be a real problem in rural Alaska. A couple of questions for you; Is the double gun case needed? What can the outfitter, (if using one,) supply so you don't have to bring it?

What I mean is, sure, you have to bring your own socks, shorts, toothbrush, etc,... but if you are bringing so much gear that it is going to mean several pieces of luggage are you packing to much gear or can you borrow a sleeping bag from the outfitter? does he have a spare rifle so you don't have to have a backup? instead of bringing your own hip waders does he have some to use? Yes I know thats risky. I don't use a GPS, but if you were bringing one, maybe he also has one to use. maybe he has a good enough video camera to use on the hunt instead of yours.

If this is a D.I.Y hunt, well ofcourse that is a different story, but I would advise getting rid of what you want to bring and leaving in the duffle what you absolutely have to bring.

Sorry about not answering the question. If it helps any, the cub pilots prefer the Army duffle size bags. Even soft suitcases can poke holes in cubs as they are entirely cloth skinned. Your double rifle case will not be popular with the pilot. two single gun cases will be prefered, or maybe the hard gun case can be left before the cub ride.

Posts: 9007 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a few hunts in Alaska that involved bush planes.

Put your rifles in soft cases inside the 2 gun case.
You will leave your big gun case at the "airport" when you fly out on the bush plane.

Space and weight is at a premium.
Carry 2 extra changes of socks, under ware, and gloves.

Carry one extra "set" of hunting clothes, pants shirt long underware.

Have good rain gear. I recommend a filson wax cotton hat that is big enough to fit over your head when you are wearing a balaclava and your rain jacket hood. It rains sideways in Alaska sometimes.

Take NO COTTON , except wax cotton garments, to the hunting camp.
Not even a T shirt or underware. I use Under Armour brand.

Take a pair of Goretex or sealskin socks so if your boots get soaked you can put on a fresh pair of socks, then put the Gortex socks on over that, keeping your feet dryer.

Take a pair of gaiters, I use Outdoor Research, even if there is no snow, they keep the bottom of your pants dry, and water out of your boots even if you breiefly step in water over the top of them. They also keep the bottom of your pants from becomming muddy.

Pack EVERYTHING in water resistant roll down bags. Everything. I use Sea to Summit. They are very light weight.

I use either Filson or Barbour wax cotton for rain gear.

I wear Filson wool whipcord pants and thin wool shirts.

Most people take too much stuff.

Even Me. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Long story, short answer; hope to either be a Brown Bear or Grizzly/Dall hunt.

REALLY hoping to bring both rifles. One for Dall, one for bear, though both will handle the other. Obviously, not a DIY hunt.

I'm retired army. Can do army duffle bags!

Rifles will be carried in soft cases in Super Cub or one outfitter said, "carry it in your lap".

NE,

Good tips, thanks!

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one other thing i've found helpful lately is the plastic travel bags that you put your clothes in and then vacuum the air out. they really compact things. can get them at places like target, wally world etc.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote