THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best chance for a huge moose and possibly brown bear

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best chance for a huge moose and possibly brown bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Usually I'm not hung up on trophy size. However, I would like to get a very impressive(large)racked bull moose. This moose will be done as a life-size mount so getting the entire hide out is a priority. I think the hide can be split in two but logistics of getting it out of the field may prevent some hunting locations from being realistic.

I was told the peninsula isn't what it once was for large moose(I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.) I would also love to get a big brown bear and if I do, it would be life-sized as well.

To increase my odds I wouldn't be opposed to a longer hunt. Where and who would you suggest hunting with. Is the Yukon out of the question? I would prefer to do this in Alaska and I would like to do it in 2018. I know the best guides are usually booked years in advance but there are always cancellations.

I would love to hear as much on this as possible. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Curly Warren at Stoney River Lodge. Huge Moose, big bears!

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a full-body mount of a Moose at the gun shop in Kittery Maine. It makes an impressive trophy!

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting in the state is going well right now. Lots of big moose being shot right now IMO. A big moose and a brown bear both is a bit more tricky. I would say call Aaron Bloomquist. He hunts down by Dillingham in a concessioned area. He has lots of big moose and lots of bears. Not a 10', but 8-9' is possible.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I would say you first need to define your expectations of "big"
On the peninsula a 65" moose and a 9 1/2 foot bear are reasonable requests.
If you want a 70" bull and 10 foot bear you should be prepared to accept maybe one and be willing and able to either lower your standards or do a second hunt

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I would say you first need to define your expectations of "big"

Exactly right. Lots of guys consider a 60-inch Alaska moose to be big. A full body mount of a 60-inch bull would impress all but the most trophy aware hunters.

In areas with moderate hunting pressure, the big bulls get taken out quickly as they are vulnerable--the main thing is to locate them. Once located they generally can be shot. In many areas, bulls bigger than 60-inches are just not there. If you must have a 70-inch moose, your chances decline quite a bit.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would consider 60-65"+ on a moose a great trophy and a real 9'+ bear a trophy as well. I'm trying to be realistic and I know a 70" moose and 10' bear are not the norm.

I spent 2 seasons filming "Hunting Alaskas Coastal Giants" with Glacier Guides and learned very quickly that not all 9' bears are created equal Wink

Phil Shoemaker you did a review of my book "Little Jake hunts Alaska" years ago. The reason I want these life size mounts isn't for bragging rights. I do a lot of hunting expos for my "Little Sportsman" hunting and shooting books across the country. I also do "author" presentations and book readings at schools and other events. I think having these "props" would make a more fun and better experience for kids, help promote hunting and shooting and take my presentations to a higher level.

Not only that, I love hunting and this is about the only excuse I could realistically pawn off on my wife Big Grin it's for work Smiler

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My name is jake. I’m little. I hunt alaska.

I think you have some realistic goals for size on moose and bear. Most outfitters up and down the Alaska pen produce moose and bears like that. But 2018 there’s no fall bear season. Your going to have to head north. Check with guys up in the wade renfro country of western alaska. Good moose and good bears in there as well. Tony lee of westwind guide service would be another option. Tony’s good people, AARON was already mentioned.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Bob, I remember you and you need to get in touch with my daughter Tia. Besides being a registered guide and taking over our business, (I am not leaving just planning on staying around as eye candy and a guide) she also works with outdoor education for kids. She had a piece in Sports Afield a couple issues ago on taking youths hunting.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I did a DIY out of Dillingham in 15 and spent some time between flying in/out with a guide/guests from this outfitter. http://www.huntbearmoosecaribou.com/. It seemed almost all their clients tagged out on either moose, bears or both. From the pics I saw they did take some very nice moose and bears. Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think having these "props" would make a more fun and better experience for kids, help promote hunting and shooting and take my presentations to a higher level

Might be easier to just buy "props". Then go hunting without the pressure.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no better guide or one that holds as many records as Phil (458 win on AR) I have know him for years and have the highest regard for him as a friend, a hunter and a man of the utmost integrity..He is also well know as a gun writer for several magazines..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Phil!

Plus, Tia is the real deal. A great guide but an even better person.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
There is no better guide or one that holds as many records as Phil (458 win on AR) I have know him for years and have the highest regard for him as a friend, a hunter and a man of the utmost integrity..He is also well know as a gun writer for several magazines..

No doubt a good option for top end trophies of both. If you are looking to do it all in one hunt I believe the bears and moose are in different months. Aaron's area the seasons overlap.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did DIY hunt with Mark Romo this year. He was my transporter. I rented all our equipment right in Dillingham. We hunted the Tic-Chik area. I shot a 73 5/8 moose. Almost everybody could have or did shoot moose. The 2 guys that came in just before me shot a 63 and a 64 inch moose. You could not ask for a better transporter. I know there is big brownies in the area but you would need to find a guide in that area. That was my eighth hunt for moose and the only time I pulled the trigger. I have hunted all over the state and thats the only place that I have seen where the wolves have not decimated the moose population.I know I will get bitched at for saying that but that is just what I have seen. My moose post is a page or so before this one. Jeff

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Donovan guide’s outa that country as well as tony lee. Some fantastic moose. Of course Sam Fejes down on eastern pws has some great bears and moose as well. The moose of the copper river delta country are hands down the biggest moose I’ve seen anywhere in Alaska.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote