THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Temp rating for sleeping bags: Fall bear hunt

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temp rating for sleeping bags: Fall bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the lowest general temp I might see on the Peninsula Oct 7-17 about 1/3 the way down the Penn? South of Becharof lake.
Looking for a new sleeping bag and was curious if a 15F bag would suffice. I am a warm sleeper and typically use a bag slip which I hear adds 5-10F of warmth.
Some folks suggest a 0 rated bag.

EZ

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Your set up should work just fine and I'd it somehow gets colder simply sleep in your clothes

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
What is the lowest general temp I might see on the Peninsula Oct 7-17 about 1/3 the way down the Penn? South of Becharof lake.
Looking for a new sleeping bag and was curious if a 15F bag would suffice. I am a warm sleeper and typically use a bag slip which I hear adds 5-10F of warmth.
Some folks suggest a 0 rated bag.

EZ

EZ

Which peninsula? tu2 Big Grin I have seen -20 by Oct.15 on my peninsula a time or too in the last 25 yrs.
0 deg. would/should be plenty, good luck on your adventure.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Directly west (~70 miles) of the southern end on Kodiak Island.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would heed 458Win's advice. He has more experience than most anyone. Another consideration when traveling is if your outfitter is recommending a synthetic bag. The 15 is often significantly less bulky than a 0 degree bag. Not as big a difference for down bags, but it seems that they are frowned upon by many guides in AK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been looking at the offerings with Downtek which is essentially a treated down that resist water absorption and dries out muck quicker than down if it does become saturated.
Really like the Big Agnes down bags as I really hate mummies as I have a 46" chest and broad shoulders. Just too confining
MontBell also makes a nice elastic design but does not offer the Downtek.
Both have water resistant shells. Both have 15F and 0 rated bags.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
For non-backpacking I have a rectangular hollowfill bag good to about 25 degrees and a Sierra Desgins really lightweight down zero degree mummy bag to put inside of it. Only time I've been cold is when I have to get out of it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been looking at the offerings with Downtek which is essentially a treated down that resist water absorption and dries out muck quicker than down if it does become saturated.
Really like the Big Agnes down bags as I really hate mummies as I have a 46" chest and broad shoulders. Just too confining
MontBell also makes a nice elastic design but does not offer the Downtek.
Both have water resistant shells. Both have 15F and 0 rated bags.

Stone Glacier makes treated down bags that are pretty roomy in 15 or 0 degree versions. Not cheap, though. I have a Western Mountaineering Badger microfiber that has plenty of room, but it's not treated down, so you'd have to be careful about getting it soaked. Even more expensive than the Stone Glacier. I've used it where there was water on the surface of the bag from dripping condensation, but no discernible effect on the down or insulating properties. I think the nightmare scenario would be a tent knockdown in a driving rain with a bag laying out while you aren't there. A waterproof stuff sack takes care of that worry though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. My experience is that the ratings don't work so well for everyone. Err on the negative side by 20 works for me. Base layer(s) in the bag work too.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as Crane.
I always deduct 20-F off what 'they' say the bag is good for.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Interesting thread. My experience is that the ratings don't work so well for everyone. Err on the negative side by 20 works for me. Base layer(s) in the bag work too.

I always buy a warmer rated bag if to warm just un zip it a bit.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Another option from the "Backpacker" section (if you opt to buy):

Bag or quilt

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quilt option is a reason I have been looking at the Big Agness park series bags. They are basically a quilt that has a attachable bottom sleeve that holds a pad in place with a hood.
You can completely unzip the top section from the bottom sleeve for just a quilt.
Pretty universal. Zip down the sides and just leave a box section for your feet.
The 15F bag is about 4 lbs with the bottom sleeve. O F bag is 5 lbs with the sleeve.
Sort of heavy but you can leave the sleeve at home if you want to cut weight.
They use 600 loft treated down which is not as light as the +800 fill option but they seem to be wanting to keep the cost reasonable. I would probably pay the premium for a higher loft down to take advantage of a weight reduction if offered.
I like it. Not climbing to extreme any longer at 63 years young.

EZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I found in my years living in AK was that a set of heavy long johns just for sleeping complimented a fairly lightweight bag for fall hunting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
What I found in my years living in AK was that a set of heavy long johns just for sleeping complimented a fairly lightweight bag for fall hunting.

Mark

do not forget socks the one for the night only.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of those heavy fleece bottoms wit footh stirrups that i used with my chest wader for fly fishing.
Probably would be perfect if required for a real cold night with a 15F bag.
Wear a light down vest on top if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by crane:

I always buy a warmer rated bag if to warm just un zip it a bit.

Never forget, sleeping bag ratings are an arbitrary thing, individuals tolerance of temperature can vary significantly.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved

Sleeping with your wet socks on is a great way to make sure they are dry the following day.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:

Sleeping with your wet socks on is a great way to make sure they are dry the following day.

Sorry,some of us live in a climate, where breathing into your sleeping bag will ensure you're chilly by morning. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
quote:

Sorry,some of us live in a climate, where breathing into your sleeping bag will ensure you're chilly by morning. Big Grin

Grizz

Glad Alaska is not like that ! It must really be miserable

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

I suspect Alaska is just like that when it get's cold. Big Grin Recommended procedure is to strip down to shorts and T shirt, no more.

James R. Doolitle

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

I suspect Alaska is just like that when it get's cold. Big Grin Recommended procedure is to strip down to shorts and T shirt, no more.

AND YOUR SOCKS, DONT FORGET YOUR SOCKS !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

All this for a sleeping bag?? Sure sign of a L O N G winter @ > N 60.00.000

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

-29 C here right now. Big Grin

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

Grizz

I ain't real good on the C stuff but its -4 F at my house Wink dancing

Good thing is 12 hrs of daylight now & by 5pm it's almost 32 above!!! rotflmo tu2
(-29°C × 9/5) + 32 = -20.2°F Shit! Hope I am done with that for this seasom.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I put on dry socks at night but keep the wet ones in the bag with me and they are dry come morning.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One question is the bag left in camp or are you carrying it on your back.

If left in camp a bigger warmer bag is nicer.

If carrying then a lighter bag is a must.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in the cold world and my daughter and I climbed mountains where it is always cold up on top. I am 5 ft ten inchs. I always used and still have a Mormot bag rated 30 below and was a 6 ft four inch bag. I put my socks, boots and cloths in the foot of the bag so that in the morning they were warm and felt really good when I put them on for the hunt or climb. This is the way I did it for what it is worth. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of new stuff out there since I bought my last "adventure type bag".
New stuff includes moisture resistant down and even better synthetics. Water resistant shells.
Some bags will morph into blankets.
I wanted it all including being light and comfortable and a correct temperature rating for 3 season hunting.
Probably will not go the ultralight route as I doubt I will be doing any trecking hunts. Perhaps base camp hunts and day or over night trips.
I looked and Monte Ball and Klymit as they have a stretch design that allows you to move freely but did not offer downtek (water resistant down). Mont Bell does make a fine product.
I have decided to go with a Big Agnes Diamond park 15. It has Down Tek, water resistant shell and is 4 lbs. It zips from both sides so you can use it as a blanket or completely unzip the top and use as a quilt and that probably weighs less than 3 lbs. I am a very warm sleeper so I do think it will fulfill my needs. I will use a bag liner so add 5 degrees and as mentioned just add a few layers if it gets too cold.
I like the fact that this system captures the sleeping pad so you do not roll off of it.

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Versalite 10F bag.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the Western Mountaineering Sequoia which is a roomier 5F bag and is the way i would go if Western Mountaineering.
They really make good stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Wiggy's, I have it and love it.

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Have you looked at Wiggy's, I have it and love it.

My brother used a Wiggy's on a month long ski trip to the north pole.

He said it was a great bag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have looked at the Western Mountaineering Sequoia which is a roomier 5F bag and is the way i would go if Western Mountaineering.

quote:

The W.M. Sequoia is 3 lbs. 4 oz for a 5F bag, the W.M. Versatile is only 2 lbs. for a 10F bag. That is a large weight penalty to carry for a bag that is only rated at 5F warmer.

I can carry my Black Diamond Bivy weighs less than 1 lb, adds 7-10F to rating and helps to keep my bag dry and still have less wieght to carry than the Sequoia, which does look like a very nice bag if you are staying in a base camp and do not have to carry it. Why not have a bag that can do both ?

Sleep warm.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to move around a little. I have broad shoulders (23" across). The Sequoia is just roomier.
I have a a 30 year old Marmot that is quite a bit lighter and has a goretex shell. Problem is for me is that the shoulder girth is 62". That feels too confining for me personally. Most of the Western Mountaineering bags are about 62". The Sequoia is 66'. In this instance it would be more of a camp bag.
I know where you are coming from on the weight perspective.
quote:
quote:

quote:

The W.M. Sequoia is 3 lbs. 4 oz for a 5F bag, the W.M. Versatile is only 2 lbs. for a 10F bag. That is a large weight penalty to carry for a bag that is only rated at 5F warmer.

I can carry my Black Diamond Bivy weighs less than 1 lb, adds 7-10F to rating and helps to keep my bag dry and still have less wieght to carry than the Sequoia, which does look like a very nice bag if you are staying in a base camp and do not have to carry it. Why not have a bag that can do both ?

Sleep warm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beleive you may be right that the Sequoia bag has a much roomier cut and that could be part or all of the reason it is so much heavier than the Versalite.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz

I am shivering just thinking about it. I bundle up when it is 10 C. Probably why I keep going back to Africa for hunting.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Wiggy's

Jim

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
It seems 2 bags have been all I need, o% or close for sheep and early hunting and a -30 or so for spring bear or fall bear. Most of my sheep and moose was with tee-pee or tarps and when you are in the clouds a warm bag is golden. My penisula job was a camp on a point at 1500' and was a cold son-of-bitch, but great hunting. I'd rather have a warm bag unzipped a bit as apposed to zipped into a sock hoping your breath will warm you up.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
It seems 2 bags have been all I need, o% or close for sheep and early hunting and a -30 or so for spring bear or fall bear. Most of my sheep and moose was with tee-pee or tarps and when you are in the clouds a warm bag is golden. My penisula job was a camp on a point at 1500' and was a cold son-of-bitch, but great hunting.
quote:
I'd rather have a warm bag unzipped a bit as apposed to zipped into a sock hoping your breath will warm you up .

tu2 rotflmo Been there moer than once tu2