Find
Notify
Tools

Stone Sheep in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted
Does anyone foresee Stone or Fannin sheep hunting here in the future? Theres been 4 different areas of Alaska where these sheep have been spotted from Juneau all the way to Kluane area/AK border. Seems like a few are migrating this way.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Dall with color is technically a Stone but are refered to as Fannin.
They're legal and with the dwindling Stone population, I guess it's possible.
I've hunted Stone in BC twice taking one. As the nuber of tags goes down they're getting harder to come by and the price is up around $30k now.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt they are in Kluane area. I've seen them there. As to Juneau, I hadn't heard that being the case before now. In fact, I haven't heard about any sheep hunting in the Juneau area...just goats.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
YukonD, some nice rams were spotted in the Taku river drainage area about a year or so ago, someone has pics of them.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I observed a few ewes with grey saddles in the Nutzotin Mts in the fall of 1998.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's been some actual Stone sheep spotted in Alaska, not just Fannin's. There were a couple of pictures posted on another forum that one of the forum members took last year. Was close to the Canadian border, but still in AK.

The regs are pretty clear on taking of Dall/Fannin sheep. Stone sheep are not included. I don't think we'll see a season for them anytime soon.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is the tourist viewing center set up in Faro for spotting. Thought the natives were allowed to hunt them........but there are so few I bet it will be a long time if ever before anyone elso can, especially in Alaska.
We have what the Fish and Game in Palmer called Brush Wolves - Coyotes like down in America, that are bigger than regular coyotes and have been killing sheep in the Talkeetnas. Not just wolves.