New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska master guide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think I have the terminology right, Can some one tell me what this means or what are the requirements to get this license?

Related, I hunted baited brown bears late May of 2015, with a good friend. It was a 10 day hunt where we sat on baits (largely inactive) for 10 nights from roughly 7pm till well after midnight. And several nights we put in all nighters. In ten days, my friend saw zero brown bears. I got a glimpse of one for less than five seconds.
Needless to say we were quite disappointed.
Now I look at the website of that outfitter and he says 100% on archery hunts.
Is there anything I should do?

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who says 100% should raise red flags from the beginning.
It is illegal for any guide to make any sort of garuntee towards animals or success.
There's no real recourse for not seeing animals, it happens. Best bet is see if he'll have you back at a discounted rate or some sort of return deal.
Was he upfront about possibilities at the beginning?

Forgot your first question
Master guide is someone who has 15
Consecutive years guiding (12 as a registered guide) and 26 letters of recommendation that big game commercial services boards sends forms out to clients for.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fourtyonesix,
Yes, he offered for us to come back at a reduced rate ($9000).
But he absolutely did not have active baits, like he said he would. Trail cameras don't lie. So there is no way I would waste my time and money on a return trip. He did not hold up his end of the deal. And I have no reason to believe he would hold up his end if we returned.
I completely understand its a hunt. But the two of us hunting a combined 20 days and getting one glimpse of a brown bear "ain't right in my view."

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he said he would have active baits and he didn't then I'd say his best bet would have been to not put on the hunt.
But as far as being able to get anything from this outfitter as a recourse it's highly unlikely and unless active baits was in your contract there's really no way to go about it.
Sorry for your frustration, I had active baits and my client and I sat them for 8 days, but the bears would only hit them when we weren't there!! That was frustrating! Seeing pictures on the cameras and tracks on the trails but not seeing a bear at the baits was killing us. Even had one kill a moose on the road but he only came back once. We did see one bear run down the trail one day though. I'm trying to get him back at a discounted rate, his first hunt was also discounted rate.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again.
No, I have no thoughts of trying to get something from the outfitter.
I was just a bit POed that he is advertising 100% on his website when he isn't even having 100% "sightings" of brown bears.

NRA Patron member

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I'll add a story here. While still working as an asst guide I worked for a newly registered guide and the previous spring hunt none of his clients got bears. We hunted Afognak the following spring and a client asked how we did the year before. Not wanting to bad mouth my employer I said "OK" . The hunter then said that the outfitter had claimed to have been 100% the year before and ask if that was true ? I hesitated a minute and said "yes, I guess you could say that ". Then he asked the size of the bears and I told him that we actually hadn't killed any bears.

The moral is to check your references. Most everyone has a happy client once in a while but also ask how many other clients were in camp and how they did if they have their names and numbers.

Oh, and that client from Afognak became one of my best friends and client.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man heard the exact same stories at camps I've guides for too Phil. Amazing what lengths some guides will go to to get that check sometimes.

I did have a client call looking for a brown bear hunt, I told him I do ok on bears. He said "so and so outfitters said he's 100% on 9' plus bears!"
I promptly asked him why he hadn't wrote him a check yet. He said he wanted to know if I'd tell him I do better. Some folks shop for what they wanna hear and not what sounds reasonable.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guiding business sure can be funny sometimes. While I am still a relatively young guide, I've seen some stuff in various camps that just leaves me scratching my head. When I first started out guiding as an assistant, my goal was always to work for reputable, honest, and hardworking outfits that I considered to be "good people." I am very lucky in that I have been blessed to learn from some of the best in the business, and have had the opportunity to hunt with some truly remarkable woodsmen and woodswomen, people I consider to be amongst the best in the business.

Anyway, to Phil, Jake, and the rest of the honest hardworking guides that peruse this forum, have a great fall, and I look forward to hearing the stories when we all get out of the woods in a few months.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I contacted the outfitter through his web site and asked how he squared his 100% archery success claim with my friend not even seeing a brownie and me only getting a glimpse of one.
He said he would change his web site to correct that in accuracy.
Again, I have no interest in getting money back or a reduced price hunt, but don't want others to be mis led by very inaccurate representation of success.
Thanks for comments guys.
I do have another BB bait hunt booked for June 1, 2018 and am thinking about 2017. Obviously with a different outfitter.

NRA Patron member