THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Man Survives Bear Attack Near Denali Highway (WARNING: Graphic)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Survives Bear Attack Near Denali Highway (WARNING: Graphic)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f3_1462381273

Troopers said bear hunter Glenn Bohn, 77, of Wasilla was attacked by a grizzly near Mile 68 of the Denali Highway just after 1.30pm on Friday.

The 135-mile road runs east to west and connects the Richardson and Parks highways east of Denali national park.

Bohn’s hunting partner killed the bear. Bohn was driven by snowmobile to the Denali highway where a medical helicopter flew him to an Anchorage hospital where he was recovering.

After Surgery Photo

http://i1288.photobucket.com/a...tack_zpsrrv2xlqw.jpg

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone can give some tech support and post the actual after surgery photo that I posted the link to.

Thanks.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was hunting with his other son and shot the bear at close range, and the bear charged him before
he could rack another round. His son was at such close rang,e he could not draw his rifle in time and
the bear swiped 2 or 3 times at him. His son drew his .44 magnum and emptied it in the bear. This
happened in less than 10-15 seconds.

He never lost consciousness.... and has a broken left arm, a broken right arm, a broken rib, and
he lost his left eye. His total facial reconstruction was amazing, and my mom has a picture of him
back at home healing up.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! That is horrible. I hope he recovers.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't even give those bears a second to play on your body....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEFORE

AFTER

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva surgeon. Guy's lucky it wasn't a bigger bear and that he had backup and they had a snow machine and air transport.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing at what those surgeons did to put him back together.

There are some lessons to be learned about this incident. Complacency, overconfidence, and over aggressiveness, this is the result.

It is a sad story all the way around, but thankful that the hunter survived, and that the doctors were able to work a miracle.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like maybe getting a free holster outa the deal at least?

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He shot the bear off of his dad with a .454 Casull, two arms lengths away.

Those are great holsters, I have a few myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life and a bear can come at you quick.

Heck of a tale. Amazing work by the doctors. Seems kinda unusual, the son would have taken the time to take pictures.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
Helluva surgeon. Guy's lucky it wasn't a bigger bear and that he had backup and they had a snow machine and air transport.

I posted this thread because I think there is a lot to be learned here. As DOPPELGANGSTER points out each link in the Chain of Survival. If one of those links was not there, the victim does not survive.

I hope this story makes the guys on here who own their camp think about their Trauma bag that they keep in camp. It needs to be complete, checked for expiration and against a list of items that should be in there and have supplies equalt to or beyond what the bags owner is trained to use because there may well be others around who have a higher level of training, certification, experience who are there and need those supplies to make a difference. Something to think about.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D.G Thanks for the tech support for posting that After photo.

Now can someone tell me what brand/model the Holster is the the man on the far right has for his Pistol? I like that set up and would like one for my own pistol. Anyone seen anyplace that sells them? Thanks.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow I seen a lot of vehicle crash victims with very severe injuries.

Never see a face like that.

A bear can do a lot of damage in a short time as seen in this case and many others.

I am a firm believer in not giving a bear a chance to get ahold of you.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS, tell me his face did not look like a failed suicide with shotgun attempt

Lets also not overlook that the son according to the news emptied a .44 Mag into it and did not kill it, but mortally wounded it. Someone else said it was a .454 Casull. Either way, a pistol is a poor stopper, just another example that shoows that. The first 5 are for the bear, the last one is for yourself.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone recognize the store that this photo was taken in ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a 454. I heard the story from the guy who helped him
On the chopper. There are details that have been left out. I won't add them as I'm guessing there's a reason they weren't included.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PDS, tell me his face did not look like a failed suicide with shotgun attempt

True I knew a fellow that failed with a shotgun his face was a mess for sure he had to eat all his food with a straw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Diamond D leather chest holster. They are in Wasilla, Alaska, I am sure you can find a webpage for them. I have two of those holsters and they are fantastic.

It was a .454 Casul. The third shot from point blank range three inches above the eye killed the bear. It was a very large bear.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around concerning this incident. It is not my story to tell, but I was the first person to see the man when he got back to the lodge. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand them keeping some of the information private....not sure I'd want to spread it around either right away. God picks people for different things in life, I believe he picked this guy for that moment. Why? We'll never know. Maybe cause the rest of us couldn't handle it. Amazing story when you know all of it.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
There are details that have been left out. I won't add them as I'm guessing there's a reason they weren't included.

This contributes nothing to this discussion. Why even bring it up. It sounds like second grade. I know things that you don't and I won't tell.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adventure907:
It is a Diamond D leather chest holster. They are in Wasilla, Alaska, I am sure you can find a webpage for them. I have two of those holsters and they are fantastic.

Thanks for the I.D.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to drag you back to grade
School
Cold zero. Was trying to
Point out that details from what everyone knows have been with held. By knowing what the details are I can understand why. Class dismissed

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
Knowing what fully happen is a way to learn form other peoples mistakes.

I would like to know the whole story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hear the story from
Them. Maybe we will someday, or at least a story they are willing to tell.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Here is some info on the holster system for those that were inquiring. Links are available at the bottom of this article to the website and for email contact:

A Handy Holster System (Guide's Choice Chest Holster)

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
God picks people for different things in life, I believe he picked this guy for that moment. Why? We'll never know. Maybe cause the rest of us couldn't handle it.

i think you hit the nail on the head, how many people would have the will to survive that attack? let alone survive and pose for a picture less than a month later! not sure "why" but i'm sure part of the answer was "he'll be ok"

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long ago did this happen ?

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
How long ago did this happen ?

I believe April 18th.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
April 15th...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to give the guy and his son credit for surviving an attack that many do not. I do have to wonder, what rifle did the dad use to shoot the bear initially? I have seen many people say a 30'06 is enough for bear, while many are saying 375, 416 or some big bore are better suited for big bear.

Posts: 41 | Location: Parker, CO | Registered: 25 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snow field so it does not appear to be thick cover.

Just a guess and speculation maybe sticking your rifle into a bears den is not a good idea.

That would account for the very close range and fact that the son standing near by could not help until the bear did damage.

No facts so far to support this again just speculation guess on my part.

Is it legal to shoot a bear in a den in AK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Snow field so it does not appear to be thick cover.

Just a guess and speculation maybe sticking your rifle into a bears den is not a good idea.

That would account for the very close range and fact that the son standing near by could not help until the bear did damage.

No facts so far to support this again just speculation guess on my part.

Is it legal to shoot a bear in a den in AK.

This

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I guess this graphically illustrates why bear are considered "dangerous game".

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
God picks people for different things in life, I believe he picked this guy for that moment.

Seriously?

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At age 77, he showed poor judgement and a lot of balls to stick his face where it did not belong.

Why would the son even let his Father take that chance...

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
At age 77, he showed poor judgement and a lot of balls to stick his face where it did not belong.

Nobody here knows exactly what happened.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adventure907:
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:

Nobody here knows exactly what happened.

OK. Apparently some here say they do know what happened, but will not discuss it.

Since this is a discussion forum, I am discussing it. I did start the topic, so I think it is OK for me to discuss what I brought up.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem CZ, it is definitely ok to discuss, no problems there.