Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adak caribou
 Login/Join

posted
I'm considering a caribou hunt on Adak island. This will be in conjunction with Halibut fishing and maybe a sea duck hunting day. Does anyone have information on Adak? Is the hiking on solid ground or muskeg? Is the September weather mild or harsh? Any info would be appreciated.

SCI life member

Posts: 18 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Wren:
I'm considering a caribou hunt on Adak island. This will be in conjunction with Halibut fishing and maybe a sea duck hunting day. Does anyone have information on Adak? Is the hiking on solid ground or muskeg? Is the September weather mild or harsh? Any info would be appreciated.

Try a search of the forum this topic is popular tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Went out there on active duty, it is pretty dry. As muskeg requires permafrost or bedrock to happen (in most cases).

Adak gets a lot of rain and a lot of wind.

There are fox holes big enough to fall in and I would say that is one of the biggest dangers of the place beyond hyperthermia.

Never got to hunt it, but you can fish halibut from the beach and shoot sea ducks from the same.

Was there in the spring.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys.

SCI life member

Posts: 18 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I hope you will post an AAR and pics when you return.

That was a hunt I looked at doing and then there was a die off and heavy out of state hunting pressure, years ago.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my impression CZ. Although not politically correct, me thinks the herd was "Shockied".

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://gearjunkie.com/donnie-...f-adak-hunting-video

LINK HAS VIDEO

Watch: Donnie Vincent’s ‘Winds of Adak’ Is a Modern Hunting Masterpiece

August 11, 2020 | By Sean McCoy

Whether you hunt or not, Donnie Vincent’s ‘Winds of Adak’ will tease your sense of adventure and leave you yearning for wild places.

Alaska’s Adak Island is not your normal hunting location. About 1,200 miles west of mainland Alaska, this remote island sits on the edge of the Bering Sea. Powerful winds buffet the rocky slopes of this small island, where ducks, caribou, and ptarmigan teem.

It’s a dreamy place if you’re an adventurous hunter, and Donnie Vincent is just that.

Vincent traveled to Adak in 2019. Except for a now-abandoned naval base that once housed more than 6,000 people, it’s now a wilderness.

“Winds of Adak” chronicles Vincent’s exploration of the island, a hauntingly desolate abandoned military outpost, and three unique hunts — caribou, ptarmigan, and sea ducks. The unforgiving elements, the terrain, and the Bering Sea test both man and equipment.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9344 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi Smiler A very interesting part of the world.

If over population is a concern, killing mature bulls will have little (if any) effect on total numbers and is a mistake. The same number of females will have the same number of calves, but reducing the number of strong mature males will, over time, only weaken the gene pool by allowing inferior males to more easily access the females.

That is unsound conservation.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi thanks for the link. I enjoyed Winds of Adak.
Has that production company made any other similar videos ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
That was my impression CZ. Although not politically correct, me thinks the herd was "Shockied".

I have never met him, he was one of the benefactors for an American Veteran hunt I went on, in absentia.

He has a lot of fans, and he's known to be a great guy.

I don't know anyone who has hunted with his operations. He isn't cheap.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote