Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted
I just got home from my Alaska Brown Bear hunt. I hunted with Master Guide Bob Couey in his camp outside of Iliamna. I flew out of Bozeman at 8 AM on Sept 4th, changed planes in Seattle then on to Anchorage, then took a taxi to Merrill Field where I met Bob and we flew to Iliamna, and then a Super Cub to his camp., which was two pup tents tucked in next to an alder patch.

The next morning I was legal to hunt, and while we were fixing breakfast, Bob spotted a bear walking across a flat about a mile west of camp. We quickly grabbed our guns and packs and started after him. We got to about a quarter mile from where we last saw him and he was nowhere in sight, so Bob suggested that we go back to camp where we had some elevation to look for him, and have some breakfast.

We no sooner got back to camp and we spotted him again, so back to the stalk. This time we got to about 200 yards from him. He wasn't the biggest bear in the unit, but with his dark brown legs and his long blond back hair, he was my Grizzly bear dream color.

I was hunting with my .375 RUM with my 281 grain Hammer Hunter handloads and I heard the loud WHAP that my first bullet made when it hit him, and he fell down. But then he got up and started running and Bob said to keep shooting until he didn't get up, so I did. His final resting place was about 10 yards from a 40' drop off into a waist deep river, and a hunt that I had been dreaming about for over 50 years was over.

The picture taking, skinning, and packing got us back to camp by 3 PM for a very late breakfast...with a celebratory Coors Light.

The next morning Bob finished skinning out my bear's skull and got his hide salted and the clouds started building up in the West. Bob brought up the weather forecast and it showed the next few days with up to 93% rain. Bob was able to text the Super Cub pilot and he was able to get us back to Iliamna that day, but too late for the plane back to Anchorage, so we spent the night at a friends "lodge" where we had homemade pizza and fresh wild blueberry pie, and a warm, dry bed.

The next day we flew back to Anchorage and to Bob's house, where we spent a couple of nights. Bob finished fleshing my bear hide and heavily salted it, and we let it cure overnight before taking to the F&G office to have it sealed. We then went to a couple of local sporting goods stores where we both bought a 3 weight fly rod and reel, I bought an Alaska 7 day fishing license, and the next day we drove 180 miles north to Alaska's Lake Louise where Bob had a cabin.

We then spent several days putting our new 3 wt fly rods to use on the creek next to his cabin where I had fun catching well over 100 Graylings. We also enjoying exploring and portaging Bob's canoe on 3 lakes and a section of the creek by his cabin, and me eating handfuls of sweet wild blueberries.

My Alaskan trip came to a close last Thursday and I left the beautiful tundra, lakes, streams, and glaciers for the smoky skies of Montana.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip and report, glad you had such a good time after waiting so long, your bear is stunning!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The color on that bear is exceptional. Congrats on getting such a beautiful colored bear. How do you like the Hammer bullets? I've considered using them.
Bruce

Posts: 371 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gillettehunter:
The color on that bear is exceptional. Congrats on getting such a beautiful colored bear. How do you like the Hammer bullets? I've considered using them.
Bruce

Their accuracy is good.

Like I posted, my guide said to keep shooting until the bear was finally down, so I did. I didn't cut into the body to see the wound channels. As far as I know, all my bullets were complete pass throughs. Two of the exit holes were about 2" diameter and I think they hit bones.

If I had been hunting alone I might have quit shooting after the first shot, but then I might have had to fish him out of the river, or worse.

I would use Hammer bullets again.

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds and looks like a great hunt. Congratulations.

quote:
I was hunting with my .375 RUM with my 281 grain Hammer Hunter handloads and I heard the loud WHAP that my first bullet made when it hit him, and he fell down. But then he got up and started running and Bob said to keep shooting until he didn't get up, so I did. His final resting place was about 10 yards from a 40' drop off into a waist deep river,

Sound advice I am a big believer in shooting until they are down and out.

Ammo is cheap losing a critter is very expensive.

Posts: 19327 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding pics and report! Love your bear! Mine is similar in color! tu2

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy bear. Sounds like a great trip all the way round. Bob

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear. Sounds like a great adventure.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your quest.
Looks like it was worth the wait.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trophy! Congrats!

Awesome adventure and sounds like it lived up to your 50 year dream.

I have a thing for one shot kills but ONLY if they're down before I can cycle my bolt. You made the right choice IMHO.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Well done all around.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7583 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
That is as pretty a bear as I have seen, congrats on a great hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Wow!! What a Beautiful Bear tu2
Nice job!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear, what did he square

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad you enjoyed you're hunt and time spent here in AK. I likewise had a great time, I wish all the hunters who came with me had you're experience and the ability to share their hunting adventures like you did. Great write up thanks for the kind words.
By the way we got a couple inches of snow at the lake this AM.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Congrats, I kind of felt bad for you killing a bear on day one of your hunt. Then you went on to pour salt in everyones wounds with the blue berry pie and flyrods and grayling nonsense.

Either way, sounds like a hell of adventure, glad you got it done.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the Toklat coloring.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Congrats.....love the color

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Nice Toklat! Congrats.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome man.....congrats! Gorgeous color too.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man that is one beautiful bear , congratulations..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful bear. Are you going to have a rug made, lifesize him, or what's the plan?

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overland:
What a beautiful bear. Are you going to have a rug made, lifesize him, or what's the plan?

With his color and thick hair, I owe him a lifesize. I took him to the taxidermist the day that I got home. They hope to have him done in 6-9 months.