New
Find
Notify
Tools

wading boots in the hiking role
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for experience with wading boots used in walking and hunting for brown bear.
For use with stocking waders.
Any preference (Simms, Orvis) if so a specific model? Requires good ankle support.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The last hunter we had with new Simms boots was happy.
I have simply used either New Balance "tennis" shoes or surplus military boot a size or two larger than I typically wear

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have the best ankles in the world. The tennis shoes sound great but afraid I might be hobbling around after a few days in that terrain popping antiinflams...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I do not have the best ankles in the world. The tennis shoes sound great but afraid I might be hobbling around after a few days in that terrain popping antiinflams...

Any hiking boots will work as well

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

Take your waders to a store and get fitted with a pair of hiking boots. That is what I have done; works well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used Simms wading boots with Chota hip boots on last years Dall Hunt. I was happy with them - in fact coupled with the neoprene boot of the wader made it very cushioned and comfortable.

Posts: 10 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: 31 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done hikers and wading boots. The new Simms G3 and Orvis Pro are stiff and very supportive. I just went through this exercise for this fall and went with the Simms G3 boot.

If you go hikers that are waterproof, and you will be wading often, punch holes low in the side at the instep or they'll pump water all day. Just put a block of wood inside and lightly hammer a nail three or four spots low on the instep. Just a small hole to drain, but not large enough to let sand/dirt in.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Simms Vibram Flyweights with the G3 pants waders last fall on the AK Peninsula for a bear hunt. Very pleased, with decent ankle support. Some guys use the G3 boots- 63 oz vs 40 oz. My thought was that a lighter boot would be quieter and quicker for a stalk.
Simms' customer service was also great when needed for the waders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never done the stocking foot waders for hiking. I may have to try them. I've been blessed with good feet and strong ankles and I've probably hiked more miles in Lacrosse hip boots than I have my well worn Danners. I grew up trapping every fall and lived in Lacrosse hip boots. When I got out of the Army I worked seasonally for the Forest Service and trapped all winter. Once again I spent all day in Lacrosse boots. I still hunt more in them than I do any other boot. I wouldn't sheep or goat hunt in them but I wear them for most everything else.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Simms G4 Pro or G3 Guide Wading Boots with Vibram Soles.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
I wore the Simms G3 Guide pants and Simms Vaportread boots on my SE Alaskan Brown bear hunt. Worked great for me! I didn't have to do a lot of hiking though. Spring hunt cruising beaches in skiffs, tagged out on day two. I'll say that the walking we did was comfortable in that setup. Good luck!

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
I have never done the stocking foot waders for hiking. I may have to try them. I've been blessed with good feet and strong ankles and I've probably hiked more miles in Lacrosse hip boots than I have my well worn Danners. I grew up trapping every fall and lived in Lacrosse hip boots. When I got out of the Army I worked seasonally for the Forest Service and trapped all winter. Once again I spent all day in Lacrosse boots. I still hunt more in them than I do any other boot. I wouldn't sheep or goat hunt in them but I wear them for most everything else.

Mart, like you I wore LaCross big chief hip boots for most everything. Including guide sheep hunters in the Brooks range.
Fortunately at the time LaCross moved to China I had discovered Simms pant waders and they are lighter and also double a rain pants. And I typically just wear some sort of sneaker with them

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip boots sheep hunting??
My father had a friend (nicest guy in the world) that was an ex marine. Back in the early 80's he ran marathons in his Vietnam era type army boots. He was about 6'4" and 200 lbs.
You guys are tough!!

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by mart:

Mart, like you I wore LaCross big chief hip boots for most everything. Including guide sheep hunters in the Brooks range.
Fortunately at the time LaCross moved to China I had discovered Simms pant waders and they are lighter and also double a rain pants. And I typically just wear some sort of sneaker with them