Find
Notify
Tools

Self guided Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Has anyone here done a self-guided Black Bear hunt with Ninilchik Charters? A friend and I are considering a boat-based hunt with them.

Also, any other outfitters you guys could recommend for something similar would be great! My friend and I are looking for a sensibly priced "beginners" hunt in Alaska. I have been to AK once, but not to hunt. My friend has never been, but desperately wants to. We are both Texas "flat landers", and don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a Kuiu Island hunt a few years ago with two friends out of Calder Mountain Lodge. I was the only one of the 3 of us to fill a tag, we all had a blast, get the covered boat if you go.

https://www.caldermountainlodge.com/bear-hunting/

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

Princess of Wales Island has lots of black bears. You can rent a truck there and explore the island. Lots of DIY hunters do this one. Do an Internet search.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I hunted deer out of Thorne Bay Lodge a couple of times and we really enjoyed ourselves. We went too late to run into bears, but they are definitely there.

I’m looking for an excuse to go back again. It’s a great set-up and would be perfect for first timers.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
How difficult is it to draw a Black Bear tag for Prince of Wales Island?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
How difficult is it to draw a Black Bear tag for Prince of Wales Island?

I believe that the draw odds are 11% for fall and 19% in the spring for non residents.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want to do the spring late May/early June. Bears are on the beach looking for fresh grasses and love. The vehicle let you cover a lot of territory and look at a lot of beach.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote