New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 for brown bear hunting ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend that has a bad shoulder (motocycle wreck)The largest rifle he can shoot is a 30-06 with a muzzle break.He wants to hunt brown bear I was thinking 200gr /220gr with a hand load I have loaded for him for over 30 years he's a very experienced hunter.The rifle is a old mark x mauser with a 24'' barrel should be able toget 2500 fps. with a 220gr and close to 2700 with a 200gr.thoughts on this are welcome.

Posts: 41 | Location: oregon | Registered: 11 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nephew killed a grizzly bear last August at 250-300 yards movin out up a hillside with my 308 Scar; 165 A-FRames & 168 TTSX's were in the magazine.

My kids have killed so many blk bear with our 6.8 SPC, I've lost count.

Local Indians have shot more grizzly bear than everybody else put together with their Grandpaps 30-30s.

Where ya hit them that counts I believe.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a good bullet like a nosler 200 or 220 grain partition and the right zip code on the bullet....will work just fine. There have been a lot of big brownies go down with 30-06.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It was the most popular round for Alaskan guides for over half a century and enough to take the world's record brown bear in 1952. With the powder and bullets we have today it is even better.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Would a 9.3X62 or a 35 Whelan with 250 gr TSX loaded to say 2,200 be a better killer?

No experience with bears. Just asking.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Dead is dead

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally seen cape buff and a lion taken with a 30-06. I have seen old video of an elephant taken with a 30-06. With the right bullets, I think one would be fine.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I've been scrounging around and picking up some boxes of 200 gr. Nosler Partitions. I plan on using Reloader 22. The 200 grain should give plenty of penetration while still maintaining plenty of velocity. If the reloading doesn't work, I'm pretty sure my go to factory load of Federal Premium 180 Trophy Copper would work.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
redlander I have shoot the 200gr speer and nosler partition they make the ol 06 a killin machine I have shoot elk and moose with this load and it takes a 06 to a new level.If all you ever shot was a 180gr core loc and you load up some 200 gr spritzers you see a huge difference in power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Phil says its good, I'd say your question has been answered.

I've never hunted bear, but I'd spend the money on quality bullets.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If phil says it will do! it well do!

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30-06 hunter:
redlander I have shoot the 200gr speer and nosler partition they make the ol 06 a killin machine I have shoot elk and moose with this load and it takes a 06 to a new level.If all you ever shot was a 180gr core loc and you load up some 200 gr spritzers you see a huge difference in power.

I just picked up a pound of Reloader 22 to try with the Noslers.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My wife has killed a boatload of brown bears with a 300 Savage,,I've killed a few with my 30 Gibbs and 300 Win. I wouldn't bat an eye going after the new world record brown bear with a 30-06 with 200 NP or Swifts!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had an Outfitter refuse to take me BB hunting with my .30-06.

I agree shot placement is king. I think the 06 with Premium 200 Gr. bullets is adequate for the job, 220's work also.

Interesting topic.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I remember reading a book years ago by a famous outdoorsman, I think it was Brad Angier?? Who said that he would be comfortable anywhere and for anything in North America, with a 30/06 loaded with 220 gr. bullets. Hard to argue with that.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift A Frames and proper bullet placement, plus a guide/backup shooter. I have taken two brownies with my .338 Win Mag & 250 Swift A Frames. One was shot at 45 yds and ran some 40 yds into the bush to die. They can run 40 ft/second I am told. From what I have seen I believe it. NO CHANCE FOR 2ND SHOT. Glad he wasn't running at me. 2nd was taken at 15 yds as it came out of the heavy tree line. It ran some 40 yds back into the brush to die. Glad it wasn't charging us. Even with proper shot placement there is a pucker factor at close ranges. Took out front shoulder of big black bear with 225 gr bullet at 135 yds. Knocked it down & spun it around. It was right back up & running on 3 legs; neck shot (lucky) brought it down. Even with the right bullet and a good shot it doesn't always work out as we plan.

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always figured that any animal that is shoulder/lung/heart no matter with what can travel up to a hundred yards.

I have seen this on many game animals even when the heart/lungs and a shoulder total turned to mush.

The only way to drop them in the spot is to destroy the brain/spine. But they can be easy to miss even under the best conditions.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chazgreen:
Swift A Frames and proper bullet placement, plus a guide/backup shooter. I have taken two brownies with my .338 Win Mag & 250 Swift A Frames. One was shot at 45 yds and ran some 40 yds into the bush to die. They can run 40 ft/second I am told. From what I have seen I believe it. NO CHANCE FOR 2ND SHOT. Glad he wasn't running at me. 2nd was taken at 15 yds as it came out of the heavy tree line. It ran some 40 yds back into the brush to die. Glad it wasn't charging us. Even with proper shot placement there is a pucker factor at close ranges. Took out front shoulder of big black bear with 225 gr bullet at 135 yds. Knocked it down & spun it around. It was right back up & running on 3 legs; neck shot (lucky) brought it down. Even with the right bullet and a good shot it doesn't always work out as we plan.

I shot my brown bear at 13 yards (measured by my guide), you're right they can move incredibly fast. I hit my bear perfectly (not hard to do from 13 yards) with a 300g A-Frame out of a 375. He took several minutes to die and we went in after him in the thick stuff. I believe a 30-06 with a good 200g bullet would've had the same effect. I've heard sometimes they drop like stones (DRT) other times even with good shot placement they can soak up a lot of lead. That's why it's so damn exciting.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 10generation:
If Phil says its good, I'd say your question has been answered.

+1 tu2

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30-06 hunter:

Nice!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote