Find
Notify
Tools

Loaded or empty chamber.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When I am hunting alone there are times I chamber a round also. But when you start mixing strangers, with unknown or little experience, in rugged terrain and pushing them physically and emotionally all day just looking for game, having the additional concern of a chambered round is foolish.

In forty years of guiding I have never had a client miss an opportunity because he had to chamber a round.
But in camps and in the field I have seen multiple unintended discharges.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Must be nice to have someone around to tell you such things.

I'd put your snark in check P Dog.

Todd, how come you gave Phil a pass for the first "SNARKY" comment in this thread on page 1, but jump on PDS on page 2 ? Let's keep it real please.

With Phil's depth of experience and intellect such an insult is beneath him. He should have intelligently discussed the topic at hand or took a pass and bowed out of the discussion. On other forums that are moderated a comment like that could result in a suspension/time out or even a ban.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I can't think of a better way to add tension to a hunt than argueing with your guide, who you trusted enough to pay your hard earned money to have a successful hunt and then arguing over a chambered or unchambered round..This is where common since comes in handy...but probably a good idea to settle that before you book along with any other little imagined problems you might have...As a hunter you SHOULD know when to chamber a round and when not to an when to ask, if its confusing!!

Agree completely Ray. Seems like sound advice.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst guide I ever had was a plumber with no knowledge of the local area who was dropped off at our Williams, AZ hotel to "guide" a friend and me on a elk hunt booked through Blair.

But other than that single experience I have had the pleasure of hunting with, and learning from a lot of exceptional guides all around the globe. And unless the situation at the time dictated it, chambers were always empty.

OK, if we are talking bad hunting experiences I certainly can contribute here.

My friend and I booked a Kodiak Deer hunt with Leon Francisco Spiridon Bear Camp. I can't imagine Phil does not know him. Anyway, after a previous Kodiak deer hunt that did not work out so well. My Friend and I did more research and came to the conclusion that Leon was a Marquis name outfitter with 35-40 years of experience and had put as many or more Kodiak Black Tails in the B&C book at that time than any other Outfitter, per our research. So, I contacted him and told him I will book 2 hunters for him if he agrees to guide me personally, which he did.

We arrive in camp only to find out that Leon had a massive stroke and was unable to Guide me and would be closing down operations after our hunt was completed. Now, even though I spoke to him shortly before coming up and several times in the year after the hunt was booked, but prior to our arrival he never mentioned any health issues or that he was going out of business. He gave me a Moose guide from up North, who told me he was booked on short notice and had never been to Kodiak Island, never guided for Deer before and oh yeah did I mention he only had one eye ? Needless to say I/we did not get a deer. So much for integrity, over taking unsuspecting peoples money.

Then there was the time in Canada where my Guide decided that while we were glassing from a logging road that this was the most opportune time to change the oil on his pick up truck and let the oil drain right into the ground. No, I didn't get a Moose on that trip with him, shocking.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Must be nice to have someone around to tell you such things.

I'd put your snark in check P Dog.

Todd, how come you gave Phil a pass for the first "SNARKY" comment in this thread on page 1, but jump on PDS on page 2 ? Let's keep it real please.

With Phil's depth of experience and intellect such an insult is beneath him. He should have intelligently discussed the topic at hand or took a pass and bowed out of the discussion. On other forums that are moderated a comment like that could result in a suspension/time out or even a ban.

quote:

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot

I can see where you might get the impression I was unfairly targeting PDS and giving Phil a pass when reading this thread outside of the context in which it was started.

This thread was started as an offshoot to this one:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...611067452#1611067452

That and a history of PDS's obsession with bearanoia in other threads (You'll have to search for those yourself. There are MANY) led me to my comment.

In short, this thread was an offshoot but continuation of what Alaskan guides recommend concerning carrying hot while in brown bear country. You can check the time stamps on the two threads and when the comments were made to corroborate if desired. I don't know PDS. It appears he guides for black bear in his home state and he is a firearms instructor. I don't discount his comments. His obsession with bearanoia does wear thin at times however. As to your question on why I commented in the manner I did; In context with the original thread, Phil is an Alaskan brown bear guide, PDS is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great bits of wisdom from a Texan who admits getting his expertise on Alaska from reality TV shows

rotflmo He sure talks a helluva game doesn't he!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my son guides for brown bear in alaska. I hunt with him up there and he is strict with me, his own dad, on not putting one in until the time comes. It's part of his training as a guide and I completely understand and obey with no qualms.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
A lot of you think the folks on this forum are either guides or clients who only hunt with guides. Some of us have been hunting for decades, 50 plus days per year, either with family, friends or alone. Too many of you are "know it alls" with thinly veiled disgust for the rest of us.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Standard operating procedure for retiring outfitters booking agents, is to fill the season up their last year and run as many people through the place as they can.

Happened to me in Namibia in 2005. Outfitter told me that the agent wanted to book twice as many people as the outfitter thought the game could manage. The outfitter did not know until the ay I got to Namibia that the agent was retiring.

I have sworn off outfitters who refer to game as "bits and pieces", like they are checking the boxes on an IRS form.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
What most folks do not understand is that booking agents are independent middle men who work strictly for themselves.
Like any profession, there are good honest ones but the bad ones play one side against the other when things go south.

If you use one, always make sure you actually talk to either the outfitter or the future client.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Absolutely,

I came home from that hunt in 2005, and the asshole (Tony DuhCosta, told me any problems I had with the outfitter were my own that he was retired and didn't care.

Different story than he told me 5 months before when I booked the hunt.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Crooked booking agents, sleazy guides and incompetent a hole hunters would make for an epic thread.

A couple of years ago I had a booking agent call and tell me he had booked my entire fall bear season for that year. I told him that We were already full and he got mad but since there was no email or contracts sent I asked for the hunters contacts. Which he was hesitant to give but finally relented.
It seemed he had used my name, booked the hunt two years previously and charged four of them a 50% deposit , and had "forgotten" to wire me the money !
When I finally was able to talk with them, and he finally owned up to the fact that he had never sent the money, we got it sorted out.

But compared with that little aside note,
I would rather deal with a dozen crooked agents than have a nervous, scared, out of shape hunter following behind me, or any of my guides, all day with a round chambered.

Fortunately I deal primarily with mature, experienced, competent hunters.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
A lot of you think the folks on this forum are either guides or clients who only hunt with guides. Some of us have been hunting for decades, 50 plus days per year, either with family, friends or alone. Too many of you are "know it alls" with thinly veiled disgust for the rest of us.

Chuck, I'm not a hunting guide nor do I feel any of the disgust you mention. I am bothered tho, when folks look for information about unusual places like Alaska or Africa and then either let their preconceived notions rule the day or experienced and educated advise is drowned out by ignorant blatherers.

I've been here a couple decades and have successfully completed some high quality hunts for big bears, really big moose, sheep caribou and other. I can put up a really comfortable camp and know about some of the proper equipment to use around here.
My knowledge pales in comparison to Shoemaker and several other AR members. I generally have the good sense to not argue and dismiss the words of folks more experienced than myself on the topics being discussed.

In the same vein, I don't have a whole lot of interest or patience for those expressing strongly held opinions on topics they have days, weeks or months experience in. "I lived in Alaska for a couple years!" means shit. Fine, you did it, neato, I bet you even put an Alaska license plate on your car. Thanks for showing up. I don't have a problem with any of them, in fact I really like them all til they wanna pull up a stool and correct me or someone more experienced.

I don't think of AR and its Alaska forum as anything more than a venue to exchange and gather information. I am happy to be considered here ugly, a poor shot, in bad shape, unshaven, nearsighted, and of poor fashion. Internet accolades I do not seek. However, as a resident and fishing guide in Alaska I do value the dissemination of accurate, truthful, helpful information about this place. It makes all our lives up here better and easier if the wonderful folks coming to visit arrive mentally and physically prepared for a trip not quite like what they have at home.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Chuck, I'm not a hunting guide nor do I feel any of the disgust you mention. I am bothered tho, when folks look for information about unusual places like Alaska or Africa and then either let their preconceived notions rule the day or experienced and educated advise is drowned out by ignorant blatherers.

I've been here a couple decades and have successfully completed some high quality hunts for big bears, really big moose, sheep caribou and other. I can put up a really comfortable camp and know about some of the proper equipment to use around here.
My knowledge pales in comparison to Shoemaker and several other AR members. I generally have the good sense to not argue and dismiss the words of folks more experienced than myself on the topics being discussed.

In the same vein, I don't have a whole lot of interest or patience for those expressing strongly held opinions on topics they have days, weeks or months experience in. "I lived in Alaska for a couple years!" means shit. Fine, you did it, neato, I bet you even put an Alaska license plate on your car. Thanks for showing up. I don't have a problem with any of them, in fact I really like them all til they wanna pull up a stool and correct me or someone more experienced.

I don't think of AR and its Alaska forum as anything more than a venue to exchange and gather information. I am happy to be considered here ugly, a poor shot, in bad shape, unshaven, nearsighted, and of poor fashion. Internet accolades I do not seek. However, as a resident and fishing guide in Alaska I do value the dissemination of accurate, truthful, helpful information about this place. It makes all our lives up here better and easier if the wonderful folks coming to visit arrive mentally and physically prepared for a trip not quite like what they have at home.

Howlllly shit, at least yer not a Kenai River Guide we'd have to get another sub forum just to contain yer knowledge. rotflmo

Have a good one!!! tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic!

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
quote:
The worst guide I ever had was a plumber with no knowledge of the local area who was dropped off at our Williams, AZ hotel to "guide" a friend and me on a elk hunt booked through Blair.

But other than that single experience I have had the pleasure of hunting with, and learning from a lot of exceptional guides all around the globe. And unless the situation at the time dictated it, chambers were always empty.

OK, if we are talking bad hunting experiences I certainly can contribute here.

My friend and I booked a Kodiak Deer hunt with Leon Francisco Spiridon Bear Camp. I can't imagine Phil does not know him. Anyway, after a previous Kodiak deer hunt that did not work out so well. My Friend and I did more research and came to the conclusion that Leon was a Marquis name outfitter with 35-40 years of experience and had put as many or more Kodiak Black Tails in the B&C book at that time than any other Outfitter, per our research. So, I contacted him and told him I will book 2 hunters for him if he agrees to guide me personally, which he did.

We arrive in camp only to find out that Leon had a massive stroke and was unable to Guide me and would be closing down operations after our hunt was completed. Now, even though I spoke to him shortly before coming up and several times in the year after the hunt was booked, but prior to our arrival he never mentioned any health issues or that he was going out of business. He gave me a Moose guide from up North, who told me he was booked on short notice and had never been to Kodiak Island, never guided for Deer before and oh yeah did I mention he only had one eye ? Needless to say I/we did not get a deer. So much for integrity, over taking unsuspecting peoples money.

Then there was the time in Canada where my Guide decided that while we were glassing from a logging road that this was the most opportune time to change the oil on his pick up truck and let the oil drain right into the ground. No, I didn't get a Moose on that trip with him, shocking.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you have done it!

quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I'm curious how you fellas feel about double rifles.

A double is either loaded with two in the chamber, safety on, or it is completely unloaded. This is the Alaskan hunting forum, so I suppose this applies mostly to African hunting, but I have read once in a great while a person taking a double to Alaska. Anyway, be it Alaska or Africa, I believe it applies to this discussion of rifle carry condition while hunting.

My observation of PHs I've hunted with in Africa, and ones I've observed on TV shows, have loaded their doubles when they got off the truck before beginning the general hunt. I am now hunting with someone who has a loaded chamber, safety on. When I hunt, I do the same, and demand to be allowed to do so. Is there a 'double standard'(pun intended) with doubles here? They do not know my gun handling safety and are right to be concerned if this is my first hunt with them. However, I do not know their handling safety either, so I can be just as concerned. I have watched PHs carry their loaded doubles with the rifle over their shoulders in the 'African carry' style, barrels pointed right at the tracker(s) in front of them. If the PH expects me to allow his chamber to be loaded, I expect the same consideration. He has his safety concerns and I have my own.

As I stated in my previous post, I am not upset if a guide/PH demands I hunt with an empty chamber. It is his right, and I respect his rules. I too have my rules and concerns when hunting dangerous game. Either we agree or we don't. No hard feelings on my part. I just book with a different company that shares my rules. Simple solution for everyone.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen NDs up close with a high powered rifle. Scary indeed. Not sure I see any difference with Alaska or Africa but in bolts I would most likely have an empty chamber until situation dictates otherwise. Haven’t hunted yet with my doubles so still in learning mode. But they do as alluded before present a different situation as to loaded or unloaded condition. After seeing clients ND (and a guy shoot him self)I am pretty cautious about muzzle discipline and safety. Can’t be too safe for any given situation which varies especially with dangerous game which is a more fluid environment. I’d listen to my guides generally unless they were some of the lemons previously mentioned. Then I’d probably bail or pray for the best

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

Howlllly shit, at least yer not a Kenai River Guide we'd have to get another sub forum just to contain yer knowledge. rotflmo

Have a good one!!! tu2

Again and as I mentioned above, I have much less experience than several others that post in this forum like Shoemaker and as I co wider this forum a good way to gain information, it seems self defeating to me to argue with them.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[

Have a good one!!! tu2

Again and as I mentioned above, I have much less experience than several others that post in this forum like Shoemaker and as I co wider this forum a good way to gain information, it seems self defeating to me to argue with them.[/QUOTE]

All in jest Wink Poking fun at a bunch of KRG's I know tu2
I agree with you 100%

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote