THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Member of Utqiagvik whaling crew dies in hunting accident

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Member of Utqiagvik whaling crew dies in hunting accident
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...in-hunting-accident/

Member of Utqiagvik whaling crew dies in hunting accident

Author: Anchorage Daily News clock Updated: 11 hours ago calendar Published 1 day ago

A member of an Utqiagvik whaling crew died in an accident off Alaska’s North Slope on Thursday, according to the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission.

“The Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission (AEWC) grieves the loss of William Kittick, following a fatal whaling accident,” said an emailed statement from commission spokesperson Jenny Evans.

Kittick had been taking part in the spring subsistence bowhead whale hunt out of Utqiagvik, the whaling commission said. The accident occurred at a camp on the sea ice.

Utqiagvik crews have been busy this month with the beginning of the spring season, hunting from skin boats at the edge of the sea ice. A crew landed the first whale of the year on May 10, the same morning that the city saw the last sunset for more than two months.

Residents said multiple crews landed whales soon after, with the animals shared among the community.

Evans said the commission could not provide additional information about the accident.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Workmans Comp?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
My daughter, Renee, and I moved from Utqiagvik(Barrow) on May 20th. Tragedies like this effect the entire community. Barrow is a rough place and people often die before their time, but whale hunting accidents are felt deeply in the community.

These guys cut trails across the sea ice and launch seal skin boats off the lead to intercept the migrating bowheads. When they are successful, the bounty is shared with the entire community(they even share with white guys like me). So in effect, they are hunting to feed the community and when one dies while whaling, they die is service of their community.

This season got off to a great start and many whales were landed as the school year came to a close. It’s hard to imagine the damper that this put on things.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB- The film I have seen from there features aluminum skiffs and Yamaha outboards. Is this incorrect?

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane,

I'm expecting what your saw took place in Canada.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
JB- The film I have seen from there features aluminum skiffs and Yamaha outboards. Is this incorrect?

You may have seen footage of the fall hunts. There is no sea ice in the fall so they have to take cabin boats out as the migrating whales are too far out to reach by ummiaq(seal skin boats), and the seal skin has to be cured during the cold winter weather. The spring hunt is more traditional.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the cause of his fatal accident ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote