Back up revolver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
6 full size grizzlies were camped on it

Wow that must have been something to see.

I thought seeing three at a time was interesting.

i was glad I was in the air. I’d assume it was two sows each with two three year old cubs.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what "back up" means? As in, a spare gun in case your primary hunting rifle goes Tango Utah, or as in being armed when you're doing camp chores, taking a dump, etc? If the former, I think the 44 vs 45 is picking nits, as I can't imagine a critter knowing the difference. If the latter, I generally pack a 2-1/2" Model 66 .357(or as of late, a 4" Model 69 5-shot .44), as I can't stand lugging around a hog leg. You have enough shit to carry around on an Alaskan hunt. I can't imagine being burdened with large frame revolver on top of that. Most of the time, I just have my rifle, and that's it.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H�ctor Carlos Roveda:
I think (or dream ...) to hunt in Alaska (I would not dare to hunt in NY City ...) and shot without problems the .44 mg with reloads of 300 grs in 6" barrel.The caliber .454 Casull is not allowed In my country. My question is to know which of the two calibers they recommend as back-up, knowing now that I can reload them both.Thanks in advance to all, Hector

The Super Redhawk is a 454/45 Colt. Where are you seeing a 45 Colt ONLY Super Redhawk?

If you are referring to the 45 Colt Redhawk, it's a hell for stout revolver. The 45 Colt Redhawk takes the 45 Colt beyond Ruger only 45 Colt loads. The cylinder is longer and thicker than the 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks. The 45 Colt Redhawk can be loaded to 50,000psi loads which are what Buffalo Bore loads their heavy 454 ammo to. Which is also 5 Shot 45 Colt loads. This is all you'll want to shoot in a short barreled Redhawk. So, if you buy a 45 Colt Redhawk you are dang close to being able to load it to 454 levels. Do some searching on 5 shot 45 Colt loads or 50,000psi 45 Colt Redhawk. Why nueter the round with such a short barrel? Get a 4" or 5.5" gun and a good belt and holster. Still easy to pack and draw and will allow you to shoot a 340-360gr .452 at 13-1400fps.

Garrett Cartridges even makes 45 Colt RHO Redhawk Only ammo.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/45rho+ptech.html

ONLY RECOMMENDED FOR: RUGER REDHAWK CHAMBERED FOR 45 COLT AND 5 HOLE CONVERSIONS BY LINEBAUGH OR BOWEN
<45,000-PSI; 25-Brinnell Bullets with Gas Checks

The heavy/long cylinder and 1-16 twist rate of the Ruger Redhawk chambered in 45 Colt makes it a vehicle of truly incredible killing potential. From a 7-1/2" barrel, a 400+ grain superhard/tough Garrett Hammerhead bullet at over 1200fps makes this combo a super magnum, double action and SIX shot. Even from a 4" Redhawk, the 405/45RHO load features virtually identical, caliber, bullet weight and velocity of the original Trapdoor Springfield carbine load. This combined with a superior bullet design and alloy for even more killing potential. A SIX-shot, double action, 4" revolver on you belt, with 45-70 carbine ballistics.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
My take is .45 colt or .44 mag in a redhawk. Both can be handloaded to about the same performance. My criticism is the redhawk itself. Always overly heavy with a poor, heavy trigger pull. I much prefer a pinned and recessed Smith & Wesson.

The only S&W that will handle 50,000psi 45 Colt loads is an X-Frame 460. The Redhawk will handle a lifetime of them. It's a different animal totally.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyd:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
My take is .45 colt or .44 mag in a redhawk. Both can be handloaded to about the same performance. My criticism is the redhawk itself. Always overly heavy with a poor, heavy trigger pull. I much prefer a pinned and recessed Smith & Wesson.

The only S&W that will handle 50,000psi 45 Colt loads is an X-Frame 460. The Redhawk will handle a lifetime of them. It's a different animal totally.

Totally agree. A 45 colt in a redhawk can be loaded to an equivalent of a 44 mag. Load it that way in a 25-5 and its a handgrenade. Load it that way in a single action colt 1873 and its a neutron bomb. I will give the redhawk its due, it is a strong platform. Myself, I own a pietta repro in 45 colt. Sold my S&W 25-5 s3veral years ago. But I do own 8 44 magnums.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I myself always pack a handgun when rifle hunting.
I am very happy with my 10 mm Glock. I am however thinking of getting a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt.
My 5.5" Bisley 45 Convertible is very nice to have with. But there are times a double action revolver is handyest. I need to get with the program and shorten the barrel on my SRH 480. It is controllable in 1 hand. And 6 , 380 gr bullets @ 1300 fps is a potent combo.
For the OP I think staying with what he is familiar with is the best option. Even if he wants to get another gun . a 44 mag is seldom a bad choice.
Tho I totally agree that there isn't a bear behind every bush and that few of them want to do anything with people , other than be left alone. I have experienced enough problem bears to cause me not to trust them.
When packin meat I always have my rifle in my hand when its visibility is reduced to 100 feet /30 meters. In open country I hang the sling on my pack frame horn. But, I also always have a handgun on me. Usually in an underarm verticle shoulder holster. I've taught myself to get the gun out of the holster with either hand. When just out in the brush or working. I usually wear it in a strong side full flap belt holster.
Over the years these have worked for me. So I'll continue .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Snyd; Welcome to Accurate Reloading forums.
I look forward to your input !!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Whatever caliber you choose, be sure to remove the front sight. That way, when you encounter a bear, it won't hurt quite a bad when the bear is shoving that pistol up your arse.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pick would be stainless super Blackhawk/bisley with barrel same length as the ejector housing and lots of practice with the biggest load I could learn to handle.

The money would be best spent on practice ammo instead of "bigger names".

Big pistols take lots of practice to shoot. Especially if you need to shoot them quickly in less than ideal circumstances.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
My pick would be stainless super Blackhawk/bisley with barrel same length as the ejector housing and lots of practice with the biggest load I could learn to handle.

The money would be best spent on practice ammo instead of "bigger names".

I shot my .44 Blackhawk yesterday. It is quite a handful.

Big pistols take lots of practice to shoot. Especially if you need to shoot them quickly in less than ideal circumstances.

The other issue no one has mentioned is sights. I was also shooting my Sig .45 1911; with white dots on the sights, it is much faster to line up than my Blackhawk. In fact, I find I don't have to focus on the front sight as much - just line up the three dots and shoot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I don't know.... "bullet proof" bears are killed by handguns every year here in AK. Have you ever seen how one reacts when hit with 350grs of lead?

quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Whatever caliber you choose, be sure to remove the front sight. That way, when you encounter a bear, it won't hurt quite a bad when the bear is shoving that pistol up your arse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Personally I have shot bears with 41 and 44 mag rounds. I have not had trouble killing bears with them.

Just because a bear wants to do you harm does not mean they are bullet proof.

Here are 28 handgun defensive use against bear none of the hand guns had the front site filed off.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...e-against-bears.html

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never saw the appeal of dots and dashes etc on sights. But each to their own.

If you draw and present a gun properly you'll find everything lines up pretty well.

I've shot IPSC and Cowboy action. If you're focused on where you want your bullet to be, a proper draw and presentation will put your sights where your eyes are looking.

Front sight, front sight, front sight.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never saw the appeal of dots and dashes etc on sights

I run a lot of nights sights nothing like them in low light.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Personally I have shot bears with 41 and 44 mag rounds. I have not had trouble killing bears with them.

Just because a bear wants to do you harm does not mean they are bullet proof.

Here are 28 handgun defensive use against bear none of the hand guns had the front site filed off.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...e-against-bears.html

You guys are so serious! No sense of humor. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
A bear that is seriously trying to kill you tends to make things seem serious.

And because bears can not hurt you from any distance, any sight or method of shooting that you are competent with at under 5 yards should work just fine.
At those distances it is pretty difficult to take your eyes off the threat anyway !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4192 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
A bear that is seriously trying to kill you tends to make things seem serious.

And because bears can not hurt you from any distance, any sight or method of shooting that you are competent with at under 5 yards should work just fine.
At those distances it is pretty difficult to take your eyes off the threat anyway !

I have found anything thing or body trying to kill or inflict great bodily harm to me.

Turns things seriously real quick.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
And if you are serious about your safety you should have planned ahead in advance.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you are serious about your safety you should have planned ahead in advance.

It is amazing how many people when the SHTF in lives say afterwards I could not believe it was happening to ME.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excuse me for answering so late. I agree completely with the post of MacD37 and its foundations, said what I did not know then. I hunt with a rifle (.375 H & H) but after an incident in South Africa with a defective rifle, I prefer to carry a short weapon. Shot usually with revolver .44 Mg and tips of 250/300 grs, full load, without problems. Regards, Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H�ctor Carlos Roveda:
Excuse me for answering so late. I agree completely with the post of MacD37 and its foundations, said what I did not know then. I hunt with a rifle (.375 H & H) but after an incident in South Africa with a defective rifle, I prefer to carry a short weapon. Shot usually with revolver .44 Mg and tips of 250/300 grs, full load, without problems. Regards, Hector

I suppose if I was hunting dangerous game with a rifle that I knew, or suspected, was faulty I too might carry a handgun.
But choosing a proven, reliable rifle would still be my first choice

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose if I was hunting dangerous game with a rifle that I knew, or suspected, was faulty I too might carry a handgun. But choosing a proven, reliable rifle would still be my first choice

A fellow LEO once said if you have a rifle or shotgun in hand don't be foolish and drop it in favor of you handgun.

I agree if I knew I was going after serious bad guys the long guns were the first choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil, I fully agree with you but there are times when the best and most tested rifle has a flaw, in my case raising the ammunition and locking it before accessing the chamber, even though it is a rifle that had accompanied me to many hunts, including a previously in Africa, without presenting any problem. I do not want to have to use a revolver as a back up of a rifle, but it is better to have it for extreme cases. Kind Regards, Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I really like my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull.

It has a 2.5" barrel, stainless steel, and you can shoot 45 Colt out of it as well. Six shooter, non-fluted cylinder.

Energy is about twice as much as a 44 mag. in the Casull. 45 Colt in this revolver is like shooting a 38 special.

Best of both worlds IMO.

You are a masochist lol. I shot one of those twice and gave three unfired shells back to the owner lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I really like my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull.

It has a 2.5" barrel, stainless steel, and you can shoot 45 Colt out of it as well. Six shooter, non-fluted cylinder.

Energy is about twice as much as a 44 mag. in the Casull. 45 Colt in this revolver is like shooting a 38 special.

Best of both worlds IMO.

You are a masochist lol. I shot one of those twice and gave three unfired shells back to the owner lol

Well, I do have my limits. I did the same thing you did, but with a 357 mag. Yeah...

When the Smith & Wesson 357 mag. came out made of titanium and scandium, weighing 10oz., a friend of mine bought one to carry for his pizza deliveries. Three of us went to the range to shoot it. My other friend shot it first. He winced and handed it back to the owner. Wanted no more. I thought that strange but took my turn next. Hurt like hell. Bruised the web of my hand. I wanted to go again against my better judgement and shot a second round. That was it! Handed it back to the owner also. We were both told to feel free to shoot the cylinder up. Ah, no.

To his credit and our amazement, the pizza delivery owner shot a BOX (of 20) of ammo through it!!! His hand web was redder than a boiled lobster, but he did it! Eeker

My wife and I both bought the S&W Ti/Sc 9oz. 38 special which is great to shoot.

I have never shot a handgun that hurt so much in my life as that particular model 357 mag. Perhaps that is why I like my 454 Casull. It is NOTHING compared that little titanium/scandium 357 devil.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I suppose if I was hunting dangerous game with a rifle that I knew, or suspected, was faulty I too might carry a handgun. But choosing a proven, reliable rifle would still be my first choice

A fellow LEO once said if you have a rifle or shotgun in hand don't be foolish and drop it in favor of you handgun.

I agree if I knew I was going after serious bad guys the long guns were the first choice.

I'd be willing to bet that just about everybody would agree with both statements above.

As the old saying goes, 'Don't bring a knife to a gun fight'. Or we can add to this, 'Don't use a handgun when a rifle is called for'.

However, the title of this thread is 'Backup Revolver'. That implies to me, well, backup, not primary, weapon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I do have my limits. I did the same thing you did, but with a 357 mag. Yeah

I have a 20oz 357 I shoot +p 38s in it.

I don't like shooting full house 357s in it.

I decide my upper limit of hand gun recoil is a 300 or so gr bullet at around 1600fps.

My 460S@W easily does that and with a WFN hard cast well shoot through more feet of flesh then needed.

When hunting with a rifle one of my favorite handguns to carry is a 27oz Ti. 41 mag.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If a handgun is planned as a last ditch backup for close range emergencies, rather than a first line hunting handgun, you can get by with a smaller, lighter weight weapon, so long as it gives adequate penetration. A .357 is a good compromise

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a handgun is planned as a last ditch backup for close range emergencies, rather than a first line hunting handgun, you can get by with a smaller, lighter weight weapon, so long as it gives adequate penetration. A .357 is a good compromise

Thanks for the advice Phil. With your credentials, one has to listen!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My late friend and African PH, Don Heath, was a serious pistol shooter and he carried a 6" S&W 357 revolver much of the time.
Just before he died he had written me looking for a smaller M-60 stainless .357 revolver.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one is looking for a smaller 357 the ruger SP101 match champion looks really nice.

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/overview.html

The S@W model 60 pro series is very nice also.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...-pro-series-model-60

Or the 640.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...pro-series-model-640

If one is willing to carry a little extra weight the K frame, L frame, Ruger's security six and the newer GP100

Many fine choices out there if one wants to carry a 357.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
a lightweight gun you have with you trumps a heavier, more powerful one left behind !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking Phil's suggestion of the lightweight 357 mag., I have three models that would likely fit this niche.

These three models are small and lightweight. One, a S&W model 360 has a 1 7/8" barrel. However, unlike the 10oz. one described above made of Titanium & Scandium, it is made of an aluminum frame and steel cylinder and weighs 14-16 oz. on my scale (depending on where I place it on the scale). IT, is actually shootable for me (but not my wife), and to me is only slightly uncomfortable to shoot, but I can shoot a few cylinders before I've had enough.

The other two are Ruger SP101s and both weigh 26 oz. They are both very shootable, even for my wife. They have 2 1/4" barrels, are very compact and small, in all stainless steel. I took and wore mine on my first safari in Africa, but now, most countries don't allow such small non-hunting type handguns. Alaska of course, is different! One is a plain SP101 and the other, my favorite, is a Wiley Clapp model with beautiful black rubber & wood insert grips, and even better, Novak, very low rear adjustable sights, and brass bead front sight.

I love my Ruger Redhawk 454 short barrel, but again, it weighs 2.75 lbs (44oz.) and is way heavier than these three 357s. If weight is a major deciding factor for someone, these three may be contenders.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Being an old timer that's shot a 1911 45 for over 4 decades, I carry my Springfield V16 LongSlide in 45 Super. Shoots a Buffalo Bore 255 hardcast at 1100 fps and kicks less than a regular 45 shooting 230g hardball due to the ports. Never had to use it on a bear, hope I won't, but it's nice to have on your hip.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
As another old 1911 shooter I think I would feel as safe carrying something like that as any handgun

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the way I see it: just because one feels 100% confident to have sufficient protection using the rifle one carries, it does not mean that another person feels the same way. The OP has explained what he desires, so it makes no sense to persuade him to not have a handgun for protection.

Some bow hunter may feel completely safe with his bow and arrows, but not all bow hunters feel the same way, and often carry handguns...just in case. I carry a .454 Casull loaded with hard-cast ammo during moose season, and with it have "terminated" several moose that were still alive while bedded. Two of these have been my own, and three from my hunting partners.

"mangearalaska" makes very comfortable chest holsters for pistols and handguns, but I carry my .454 in a Bandito holster.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This morning, I sat down to read a book I've owned for a while titled, "BALLISTICS IN PERSPECTIVE" by Mike LaGrange (copyright 1990).

Mr. LaGrange was born in Southern Rhodesia, spent many years as a warden in Problem Aniaml Control for the Zimbabwe National Parks. He shot over 6,000 Elephants during his career.

On pages 40 & 41, he states, "Any hunter contemplating hunting Lion is advised to carry a side arm of at least 357 Magnum caliber or a 44 Magnum caliber for additional back-up as there is usually time to use it during a mauling. Since the original printing of this booklet, three people whom I know personally have been mauled by Lion. Without exception all felt they had plenty of time to shoot the animal with a side arm had they chosen to carry one."

More food for thought...

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
As another old 1911 shooter I think I would feel as safe carrying something like that as any handgun

Thanks Phil,, As if your Gun Digest article wasn't enough now 1911 is keeping me awake and on Gunbroker!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
now 1911 is keeping me awake and on Gunbroker!

I really like my Stainless SR1911 in 45acp there newer 10mm model would fit the ticket too.

But my stainless XD5.25 works well also.

Most likely the toughest of the lot is my Ruger P90 stainless.

I load 255gr SWC at just under 900fps that gives real good penetration.

I think buffalo bore has about the same bullet at over 900fps.
I would feel ok carrying any of them.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Better picture of my Springfield V16 Smiler

Regards,

Chuck