Notify
Tools

The best gloves for cold?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
As to the original ?
I find it's not hard to keep my old hands warm IF I keep my core warm. I also agree with Cal and others that advocate mitts. Having worked a lot in extreme cold I'm pretty big on hand warmers.
But most of keeping hands warm is keeping warm blood pumping into the hands. With me ,my hands get cold before my core get up to temp. Then I have to get them warmed up. Once I get them warmed up they are gtg for the day if I pay attention.

It depends a lot on how cold a conditions she will be in and if she is willing to layer up her core and eat foods that make good heat. If all someone eats is salads and drinks pop. They are gonna freeze.
My wife has a saying. If I'm warm , she is cold . If she is warm I'm Hot.
My wife wears insulated coveralls. Carhart, Refridgewear and the Cabela's Trans Alaska suit6.
Which sadly is no longer made.
When her's wears out I'll probably get her a Canada Goose Riggers Coverall.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I use Hestra Hunters Gauntlets when it's very cold in the Scottish Mountains or in the Alps. Sometimes with a pair of slik liners on under neath. Our biggest problem is that it is often only a few degrees below so its damp and wet.

https://hestragloves.com/sport...-gauntlet-czone/861/

Ha!

I was going to comment on my Hestra gloves. I bought some hipster looking Hestra gloves at a Fjallraven store in Boulder last year for work/travel. Not very heavy gloves, but man do they keep my hands warm. I have no doubt the ones above would do the trick based on these.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo:

Cheapest is if you can buy from locals in the villages, but I'm guessing you're not planning to go to northwest arctic any time soon.

I’m up here in Barrow and I have located a local woman who has an outstanding reputation. She does a lot of work with seal skin. PM me if you want her contact info.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
But most of keeping hands warm is keeping warm blood pumping into the hands. With me ,my hands get cold before my core get up to temp. Then I have to get them warmed up. Once I get them warmed up they are gtg for the day if I pay attention.

Agreed. My problem is that first hour of not getting the hands warm and then sitting in the dark. I have a good set of Surplus Mittens with Wool liners but I am not smart enough to wear them hunting it seems. Was out a -19 wind chill a couple of New Years days ago here in KS and my son said, "Why are we out here again?" "Tradition" says I. "It's New Years. This is what we do."
Maybe this year I'll actually wear the mittens.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not live in Alaska however have hunted up there in -20F.
I use a medium weight marino liner (REI or Amazon). Then use a wrag wool glove without finger tips over the liner. Use a gortex mitten shell over them.
Typically enough room for hand heats if you want to put them in there.
Remove the shell mitten and your hands will still atay warm for a while.
The fingerless wrag wool gloves (I say fingerless) but cover most of the finger just cut below your top knuckle are great. Probably cost $8.
The fingertips are covered by the marino liner.
Can you say layering?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote