THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Sheep hunter rescued after getting stuck on steep terrain in Knik River Valley

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep hunter rescued after getting stuck on steep terrain in Knik River Valley
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...n-knik-river-valley/

Sheep hunter rescued after getting stuck on steep terrain in Knik River Valley

By Anchorage Daily News
Updated: 11 hours ago
Published: 15 hours ago

An Alaska Army National Guard helicopter crew rescued a hunter Wednesday after he was stranded on unstable, steep terrain at a high elevation in the Knik River Valley near Cottonwood Creek, the Guard said in a statement.

A man hunting sheep became stranded on a 3-foot-by-3-foot ledge on a 40- to 50-degree slope, and he was unable to move up or down the terrain, the Guard said. He was stuck in snow, Alaska State Troopers said in an online report.

The hunter activated an SOS using an inReach satellite communication device, according to the Guard. Troopers said they were notified of the alert at 1:25 p.m.

Troopers then requested assistance from the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

A UH-60L Black Hawk medevac helicopter left JBER with a rescue crew at around 3:30 p.m., and was directed to the man’s location by rescue controllers with the Alaska Air National Guard, according to the Guard.

The hunter was at an elevation of 5,500 feet when he was hoisted up by the medevac aircrew, the Guard said.

In the statement, Staff Sgt. and flight paramedic Damion Minchaca said the helicopter made two passes over the location before spotting the hunter. The crew at first did not see him because of his camouflaged hunting gear.

“He used quick thinking, turning his camouflage jacket inside out to signal us down with the inside fleece’s bright orange color showing,” said Minchaca, with Detachment 2, G Company, 2nd Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment.

The ledge was so small that there wasn’t enough room for both him and the hunter to stand, Minchaca said.

The hunter was outfitted with an aviation rescue vest and hoisted into the helicopter, and they flew to the Palmer airport, according to the Guard.

The man declined medical treatment or evaluation, troopers said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet five dollars and a bag of cookies, they did not demand he leave 100% of his hunting equipment on the mountain. And likely AST will not confiscate his gear.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
I'll bet five dollars and a bag of cookies, they did not demand he leave 100% of his hunting equipment (including "firearm") on the mountain. And likely AST will not confiscate his gear.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet five dollars and a bag of cookies, they did not demand he leave 100% of his hunting equipment on the mountain. And likely AST will not confiscate his gear.

That would seem stupid to me.i see no reason for punative action because the hunter made a mistake.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

That would seem stupid to me.i see no reason for punative action because the hunter made a mistake.

I don't write the game regulations. "NOT" saying he did......but what if he intentionally but himself there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gives those PJ's something to do and they are damn good at it.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HAY-MAN:
Gives those PJ's something to do and they are damn good at it .

Absolutely!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7570 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love the JBER folks! My daughter has many friends at JBER, not too far down and across the freeway from her home in Eagle River.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Us Sheep Hunters have a tendency to break Mountaineering rules like descending "blind" into terrain we've never ascended. One can get "Cliffed Out". I'd bet that's what happened. Glad to hear he lived to tell the tale and thanks to the JBER folks as well. It just as well could have been me or any other Sheep or Goat Hunters around here. Or, we could be talking about a dead Sheep Hunter...

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote