THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Trapping Snowgo, Snowmobile, Sled, whatever you call it where you live?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trapping Snowgo, Snowmobile, Sled, whatever you call it where you live?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
As we transition our lives back to the Northern Rockies I can finally trap again.

Mostly as a kid I walked.

But with all the trapping videos I have been watching on youtube, I think a snowmobile is the way to go.

I'd really like to bring my kids. So a 2 person model is preferred.

Question:
What model do you Alaskans (Canadians, Scandinavians, fellow Northern Rockies, New Englanders, Mid-Westerners) like for trapping?

Choices:
Yamaha Professional, Transporter 2up or Touring?
Ski-Doo Skandic, Expedition or Trail
Arctic Cat Norseman X8000 really expensive? But they all are from Arctic Cat
Polaris Voyageur 550 155 recommended by a Polaris Dealer
Something else?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
It really depends on your target species, how much your kids will come with you, terrain, how much gear, how fast you want to go and how comfortable you want to be.

Top choice by your self with an occasional passenger SkiDoo Tundra

I went to an Argo 8X8 with tracks and cab.
Pros: Holds more gear and passengers, goes everywhere and keeps me out of the weather will run on dirt, mud, snow and amphibious.
Cons: Slow, no suspension, fuel consumption is 2-3X what a sled is.

Several lion hunters I know have migrated to Honda Pioneer 500 with Camoplast tracks and Alumalite Armor cab system.
Pros: Enclosed, fits through forrest service gates that keep the bigger side by sides out, way faster and more comfortable then an Argo, can run on dry ground with no issues.
Cons: Still uses more fuel then a sled.

I've got a Pioneer 520, tracks and cab on order.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will an argo with tracks run on 30-60 inches of snow?

When I was a kid I got really bad stuck in Montana on our old 80's model snowmobile for about half the night until my dad found me. Seemed like 3 am, but I was 15 and it was probably only an hour or two after dark.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.atvtrader.com/Argo...odel=8X8%7C764947858

https://shankslawnequipmentllc...=1&Manufacturer=ARGO

I don't think I can do that financially.

Tracks for an Argo cost 3/5ths what a Ski-Do Skandic cost.

I can buy 3 Ski-Do Skandics for what one Argo cost.

Looks like a good deal if we lived in Alaska or someplace with a lot more moisture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynx forrestfox a long track skoter/snowmobile for travel in forest with deep snow.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

When I was a kid I got really bad stuck in Montana on our old 80's model snowmobile for about half the night until my dad found me. Seemed like 3 am, but I was 15 and it was probably only an hour or two after dark.

Been there done what.
I walked home in my own tracks 10km no problem just my parents got worried. I felt then I took a step outside the track, just to struggle on in the dark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 2012 Skandic XU SWT 600ace 4 stroke. No issues dancing tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
Lynx forrestfox a long track skoter/snowmobile for travel in forest with deep snow.

I have never seen a Lynx snowmobile outside Scandinavia.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
It really depends on your target species, how much your kids will come with you, terrain, how much gear, how fast you want to go and how comfortable you want to be.

Top choice by your self with an occasional passenger SkiDoo Tundra

I agree with this answer. I had a Skidoo Tundra. They are popular in the rougher areas, such as the Brooks Range. They are light weight and their design makes it difficult to get them stuck, and easier to get out when you do get them stuck. The trade off is that they have a high center of gravity, and are tippy.

I own an Argo and it seems like it would be too slow for trapline work. Unless you had a real short trapline that was nearby.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've run my Argo 8x8 with tracks over some passes with deep powder and never managed to get it stuck. My 6x6 without tracks got stuck several times in places I floated right over with the 8x8.
Argo's are fairly light weight for their size. Couple that with tracks and the ground pressure is far lower then that of most sleds.

Again, they slow and bumpy as shit on dirt and rocks, but they will carry a few people and gear in an enclosed cabin to just about any place you can point it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:

I have never seen a Lynx snowmobile outside Scandinavia.

They are a part of Skidoo so they might not sell Lynx in US, forrexfox has similaritys to Tundra.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a skandic 550f wide track the 2 strokes version made in finland.

i do not think they are available on NA market anymore but they are way better lghter and cheaper than 4 strokes verson.

i will look as well for the yamaha 2 strokes 540vt if still imported as well and have the carburator opened,.

good luck and have fun.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this question on dootalk.com