New
Find
Notify
Tools

Covid Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if the State of Alaska has any protocols, regarding rebooking or refunding money because of Covid? I sent a message to Fish and Game asking them that question and really didn't get a response.

Last spring I had a baited bear hunt scheduled, but 1 day before the trip, I got sick with the flu and high temperature. At that time, you could not fly with a temperature. I did get a letter from the doctor, and have documentation, but was trying to understand if there was a state-wide policy, or if it was up to the individual guides.

I did contact the guide, when it happened, and again recent. He's basically telling me he'll take me back, but it will be a 2 on 1 hunt, paying the going rate, minus the trophy fee, if I shoot a bear)

By the way, I did get my license fee back from the state of Alaska. The information and documentation I had was enough for them to justify returning those fees.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRL:
Does anyone know if the State of Alaska has any protocols, regarding rebooking or refunding money because of Covid? I sent a message to Fish and Game asking them that question and really didn't get a response.

Last spring I had a baited bear hunt scheduled, but 1 day before the trip, I got sick with the flu and high temperature. At that time, you could not fly with a temperature. I did get a letter from the doctor, and have documentation, but was trying to understand if there was a state-wide policy, or if it was up to the individual guides.

I did contact the guide, when it happened, and again recent. He's basically telling me he'll take me back, but it will be a 2 on 1 hunt, paying the going rate, minus the trophy fee, if I shoot a bear)

By the way, I did get my license fee back from the state of Alaska. The information and documentation I had was enough for them to justify returning those fees.

Thanks.

So, what do you think the State of Alaska should pay you for? Good luck. tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you understood. The state of Alaska did justice by me. They understood the issue, and refunded my license fee. I was trying to determine if there was a state policy applying to businesses (guide industry to be specific).

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
What does the hunt contract you signed with the guide say ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Signed with a booking agent. The booking agent agreement is to hold them harmless for everything and anything.

I talked to the booking agent and his reply was it was up to the guide, if he wanted to help with the situation. (The booking agency didn't really seem to have any interest in helping.) He said, normally, they make accommodations, but that varies by guide.

When I talked to the guide in the fall, he said that he would rebook for an incremental fee, to cover his cost, which seemed reasonable to me. (no details, yep my fault), now it's basically the whole cost of a new hunt.

Again, all I was trying to figure out was if there was a standard policy regarding Covid, like the airlines have (no refund, but rebooking). It doesn't seem like there is.

I'm not inclined to rebook for the full fee, especially if it's a 2 on 1 hunt.

Lost out, lesson learned.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRL:
Signed with a booking agent. The booking agent agreement is to hold them harmless for everything and anything.

I talked to the booking agent and his reply was it was up to the guide, if he wanted to help with the situation. (The booking agency didn't really seem to have any interest in helping.) He said, normally, they make accommodations, but that varies by guide.

When I talked to the guide in the fall, he said that he would rebook for an incremental fee, to cover his cost, which seemed reasonable to me. (no details, yep my fault), now it's basically the whole cost of a new hunt.

Again, all I was trying to figure out was if there was a standard policy regarding Covid, like the airlines have (no refund, but rebooking). It doesn't seem like there is.

I'm not inclined to rebook for the full fee, especially if it's a 2 on 1 hunt.

Lost out, lesson learned.

Thanks.

That is a shitty deal & I would scratch that booking agent/guide off my list. Glad you recovered from the fauchi flu (had to be because there is no such thing as a cold or flu anymore)
Good luck!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. I agree. Moving on.
Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Travel insurance is freaking cheap!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
When I looked at travel insurance for a trip during Covid, it was almost 20% of the cost of the hunt. It made no sense to me. It was over 5k for a brown bear hunt.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 234 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
For fresh information, I just got a quote for a 30k trip for this spring for $1918.00 through Allianz

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 234 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote