Sidearm For Brown Bear Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
There are an awful lot of misconceptions about Alaska, it's game and conditions perpetuated by those who have never experienced it !

Ignored post by p dog shooter tu2 Best feature on this site dancing

I have always found the the best arguments start with personnel attacks and ignoring the facts. /s/

But each to their own.

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
quote:
There are an awful lot of misconceptions about Alaska, it's game and conditions perpetuated by those who have never experienced it !

I have always found the the best arguments start with personnel attacks and ignoring the facts. /s/

But each to their own.

In light of Phil's post how many times have you been to or hunted Alaska?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7589 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Well if I had to make a choice of sidearm I'd probably use my Ruger Singlesix Bisley in .22 RF. Just in case I ran into an aggressive grouse or ptarmigan of course!

jumping

I thought about that and decided against since I didn't want to discharge a firearm and alert potential/ future bull moose targets.

I have on the way three rimfire silencers so I may decide to pack a handgun while moose hunting.

Posts: 9068 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Well if I had to make a choice of sidearm I'd probably use my Ruger Singlesix Bisley in .22 RF. Just in case I ran into an aggressive grouse or ptarmigan of course!

jumping

I thought about that and decided against since I didn't want to discharge a firearm and alert potential/ future bull moose targets.

Very true.

It was mostly meant as a bit of humor.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All depends on what stage of the hunt you are on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Enough about me.

In light of the original post.

It was about what one to carry not if one does or not.

That really is a sperate discussion. May be it should be titled.

All the excuses why I don't carry a handgun.

So please tell us what handguns you own and carry and and what holsters to you prefer.

Poll

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8521043/m/5821072662

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

All depends on what stage of the hunt you are on.

Not true at all, ( have you ever hunted?)

Once a moose or moose's are down and dead the hunt is over. I gather you have no experience with massive meat handling, but dead moose is exactly that and any avenue, any side bar other than massive meat handling after you kill a bull moose is bad form on the edge of negligence.

This ain't whitetail kiddo and we don't pop by the meat shop this afternoon to drop off the buck.

This is six heavy loads of "mutherfucker" that takes all a young lads energy to hump to the boat, then the shop, then the butcher table, then the freezer.

When you done packing and wrapping moose you happy you didn't catch no fish, you happy you didn't shoot no grouse or ptarmigan.

Regardless your county sheriff experience, Alaska moose hunting ain't the time nor place for silly handgun tomfoolery.

Speaking from experience.

Posts: 9068 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How many were hunts? Where and for what?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7589 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So lets deflect away from the subject at hand.

What handgun to carry on a bear hunt if one wants to.

As posted earlier I carry handguns. I carry handguns when I want to.

Only time I don't carry a handgun hunting is when I am prohibited by law. Hunting in counties that do not allow it.

With then right handgun and right holster I do not find it a PITA.

If your arguments are only based on the below.

The if when and why.

You don't have enough experience to comment.

(if 40 plus years of carrying most every day working, hunting, trapping, certified instructor, and much more isn't enough nothing I say will ever be.)

It is not necessary.

I don't like it/ I don't want to.

I am to cheap to do it.

I am afraid of what others think.

I am not a good enough shot with one.

Some one told me they are ineffective.

Shooting a bear self defense is a PITA. So is getting mauled.

I don't want to spend the time/money learning how to use one properly.

Just say it. I am very willing to hear all your reasons.

Not one them addresses the issue what should I carry if I want to.

If you feel bad about using one your self.

It sounds like a personal problem based on many things but not facts.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here is my preferred brown bear sidearm. Not that I really feel I need one when bear hunting since I've already got a 375 H&H or 416 Rigby in hand, but just in case, you know!! Besides, I really like playing cowboy and kind of feel naked without some type of hog leg on my person.

I like this one because after I've emptied my four, 350 gr TTSX, 416 rounds at 2750 fps into the bear, and my guide has done the same, the bear has killed my guide or at least mauled him to the point he can't reload and shoot the bruin off of me, and I was just standing around watching the melee, unable to reload and put a couple of additional 416 rounds into the beastie while he was mauling my guide, I can now shoot, stab, and punch the critter before he does me in as well.

This is the one for me but as always, YMMV!

Cool

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Here is my preferred brown bear sidearm. Not that I really feel I need one when bear hunting since I've already got a 375 H&H or 416 Rigby in hand, but just in case, you know!! Besides, I really like playing cowboy and kind of feel naked without some type of hog leg on my person.

I like this one because after I've emptied my four, 350 gr TTSX, 416 rounds at 2750 fps into the bear, and my guide has done the same, the bear has killed my guide or at least mauled him to the point he can't reload and shoot the bruin off of me, and I was just standing around watching the melee, unable to reload and put a couple of additional 416 rounds into the beastie while he was mauling my guide, I can now shoot, stab, and punch the critter before he does me in as well.

Cool

Todd, if you had half the bear experience as PDAWG you would realize you need a 1/2" longer blade on that thing !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is some more information on your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FIi8Wge9pI

Such a selection shows me that Todd has a advance knowledge of weapons.

The skill to use such a under power firearm let alone find ammo for one. Tells me Todd is much more advance then the average shooter.

Then to transition to a small knife and then to brass knuckles.

Tells me Todd processes far superior hand to hand skills.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Cool

Todd, if you had half the bear experience as PDAWG you would realize you need a 1/2" longer blade on that thing !

1/2" too short a weapon? Story of my life Phil! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carry as many guns if you want. In America anyways....

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2844 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not about hunting bears, but about hiking in bear country:
https://www.ktoo.org/2021/06/1...y-bears-near-palmer/

That said, the way I see it is that it does not matter if the OP is scared of bears or not. He asked a question about what sidearm to bring for his guided hunt, so it makes no sense to tell him not to bring any. Now, if the question was "if he should bring a sidearm or not," then I would tell him to ask his guide. AND if I was the guide I would leave that up to the client, just in case he gets bitten on the foot by a rabid rabbit and then sue me for telling him not to bring a sidearm to rabbit country.

And in relation to holsters, there are all kinds of them, some very expensive and others not as much. Some can be carried over a coat or any other clothing, rain gear, and the rest. Some look like the average holster, while others are more comfortable, look like a pouch, and designed to be carried over the chest. These ones can be rain resistant, and have a flap to keep the gun or pistol dry.

By the way, I have one of these pouch chest holster, but can't use it for my 10mm G-29 because the magazine release on the Glock protrudes to the side. It means that one can unknowingly eject the magazine inside the pouch, or just drop it on the ground when unholstering (or should I say, "umpouching"? ) the gun. Smiler
--------------
Thursday 06/21. This is an edit to the news about the hiker being injured by bears: According the new news the lady made it out still alive. She is injured, but there is no news about the extent of the injuries.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
40+ years of guiding and many multiple bear seasons so far,,I've never had a hunter carry a sidearm on a bear hunt. A few would have a pistol in the tent under their cot and occasionally I would have a mod 25 in my duffle but never in the field. What could you do with a sidearm that a couple of belted magnums(usually) can't do?

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
40+ years of guiding and many multiple bear seasons so far,,I've never had a hunter carry a sidearm on a bear hunt. A few would have a pistol in the tent under their cot and occasionally I would have a mod 25 in my duffle but never in the field. What could you do with a sidearm that a couple of belted magnums(usually) can't do?

Jim, like most bearanoia inspired topics, real life Alaskan hunting, and especially guiding, experiences mean little to nothing.
Of more importance is What would Chute do ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again what does the last comments have to do with the OP question.

It is not necessary .

Is not a answer to the question.

It is avoiding the question.

It is hard to believe that posters with supposedly lots of exspearince with firearms.

Just can't bring themselves to say. I like this model and caliber for these reasons.

I dislike these for these reasons.

It shouldn't be that hard.

A person who picks the wrong handgun and wrong holster type will soon be be leaving it in the tent.

As guides would you take a person hunting who wants to hunt with just a handgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But each to their own.

i have to confess as a neighbour i hunted grouse and ptarmigan with a gp100. but i cant do that in yukon only in alsaka ... i enjoyed having a 12 ga for doing it also and prefer while hunting on our side the 375 ruger ...

i enjoy as well visiting alaska but alas the borders now have been closed for a while ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It's your hide, carry whatever you wish.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried a handgun when I took my B&C. Brown Bear.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
How many of the guides here carry a handgun backup? I don't like carrying anything I don't have to, but I don't go out in bear country without a rifle or a handgun. I'm not a fan of bear spray because I don't practice with it, don't think I'd want it to be my first line of defense. I've also had several close encounters with grizzlies unarmed, not a fan lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4723 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point being is that the handgun is neither optimal for bear, nor necessary for bear hunting.

If you want to carry one, carry what you “feel” you need.

I brought a .44 mag scandium S&W for bear back up. Carried it around some, shot it enough to be proficient, then talked with my guide and outfitter and left the thing at home.

If I was fishing or hiking in AK, I’d bring it, but hunting? Even a .223 rifle is more powerful than a pistol.

Pretty simple.

I go to Africa with lions, leopards, hyena, snakes, etc. and do just fine with a rifle alone.

Situational awareness. Keep the rifle handy.

Americans do tend to be obsessed with the short gun. I’ve got a lot of them. I shoot them competitively, and by the results I’m better than average… they have their place.

But all a pistol is on a hunt is a additional piece of iron that you need to be responsible for that doesn’t materially improve your outcome over the long gun you already have.

Posts: 10540 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I hunted with Jake Jefferson in June. We both killed a brown/grizzly bear and a black bear. I had no need for a handgun. It would have just been in the way. If I was not able to do it with a .375 H&H and 300 gr. TSX bullets, a handgun would not have helped. We flew into the area in a Super Cub so there was no room for unnecessary stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point being is that the handgun is neither optimal for bear, nor necessary for bear hunting.

If you want to carry one, carry what you “feel” you need.

I brought a .44 mag scandium S&W for bear back up. Carried it around some, shot it enough to be proficient, then talked with my guide and outfitter and left the thing at home.

If I was fishing or hiking in AK, I’d bring it, but hunting? Even a .223 rifle is more powerful than a pistol.

Pretty simple.

I go to Africa with lions, leopards, hyena, snakes, etc. and do just fine with a rifle alone.

Situational awareness. Keep the rifle handy.

Americans do tend to be obsessed with the short gun. I’ve got a lot of them. I shoot them competitively, and by the results I’m better than average… they have their place.

But all a pistol is on a hunt is a additional piece of iron that you need to be responsible for that doesn’t materially improve your outcome over the long gun you already have.

This sums up my thoughts to a T, far far better than I could have stated it! Lots of common sense here.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
A friend and I hunted with Jake Jefferson in June. We both killed a brown/grizzly bear and a black bear. I had no need for a handgun. It would have just been in the way. If I was not able to do it with a .375 H&H and 300 gr. TSX bullets, a handgun would not have helped. We flew into the area in a Super Cub so there was no room for unnecessary stuff.

As long as you bring your rifle and have it within easy arms reach everywhere you go you're fine. If it's leaning against the rubber raft 4 feet from you with the scope covers on cause it's raining while you're glassing the opposite shore of the lake, might as well be at home if a bear comes up to you. They are incredibly quiet appearing like ghosts right next to you.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4723 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting and entertaining thread. On the one hand we have some very experienced Alaska guides and longtime Alaska residents. On the other hand we have people who have never been to Alaska at all. Between those we have people who have been to Alaska at least once, some a handful of times. Opinions abound. Here is mine.

A handgun is a tool, nothing more and nothing less. I am very confident with that tool and quite comfortable carrying it outdoors. I have no trouble wearing a pistol outside of thick, heavy clothing and removing it and replacing it after a clothing change. I find it no trouble at all to adjust a chest holster or a holster on a shoulder supported belt to accommodate those clothing changes. I do carry pistols on waist belts but I generally reserve that style of carry for times when I want to carry concealed. In the field, I carry both a short knife and a pistol. But consider this question, which is more useful to have on the belt, a pistol or a big knife? To me it makes more sense to have the big knife in a pack and a pistol on the belt.

I have spent a considerable amount of time in a few of the world's most unfriendly environments. I have worked in and camped out in Asian jungles, east African savanna, North African deserts, and the deserts and mountains of the Middle East. In none of those instances was I hunting but neither was I a tourist. I carried a rifle but I also carried a pistol.

I've been on numerous outings of various lengths in North American. Among those are only six trips to Alaska. I've never been an Alaskan guide and I've never been an Alaska resident but I can still tell you from experience that Alaska is made up of many different environments. The Kodiak coast is not the same as the interior country. The steep mountainous areas are not the same as the vast, seemingly endless, flatlands. Sometimes you're walking in the open and sometimes you're parting the brush with your hands as you step through it. On two of those trips I spent weeks skiing and snowshoeing scores of miles cross-country. At those times, my rifle was out of the way slung over my back so I could work the poles but my pistol was always handy in the holster. There were many other occasions my rifle was on my back. When working my way hand-over-hand up a steep incline, when carrying wood, when setting up camp, and while in a sleeping bag my rifle was either over my back or not readily available but my pistol was always right at hand. It is ludicrous to believe that if you spend any meaningful time afield that your un-slung rifle will either always be in your hands or just within reach.

We have a particular, very well respected, and rightfully so, Alaska guide who is posting in this thread. His experience and considerations include not only his own well being but also those of his clients and, perhaps, his employees. In a now famous encounter he dispatched a grizzly/brown bear at close quarters using a Smith & Wesson 9mm automatic. I will not attempt to retell specifics of his story nor will I try to second guess him. Neither of those are my place. But I will say this, from his own published accounts, that little 9mm pistol saved his client's bacon. Draw from that what you will.

So, I carry a pistol, not because of "bearanoia" but because of it's utility and handiness. And it doesn't matter where I am or in what environment. If I am in the outdoors, laws and logistics allowing, I will always be carrying a pistol.

I own several pistols in various calibers. A few years ago I purchased a Kimber long-slide 1911 in 10mm. Man that was a beast. My original plan was to use it for dual purposes - general field carry and hunting. I chronographed several factory loads through it and a few shot well over 700 ft-lbs muzzle energy. I settled on one load and shot the heck out of it. I became familiar and proficient with that load and pistol. But I grew increasingly annoyed by the recoil and relatively slow recovery time. Even with considerable effort, I couldn't point and shoot it as quickly or efficiently as a 9mm or 45. Sure, I could have shot lower velocity loads but that would have been counter to my purposes. And I could have installed a muzzle brake, but I hate those things. So, I sold the 10mm.

I recently discovered (for me) the .38 Super and I really like it. A Colt .38 Super is now what I carry when afield. If I were to make another trip to Alaska that's what I would take. It would not be my choice because it is a rifle replacement, the world's most powerful big-bore handgun, or the best "bear medicine". It is none of those. No, I would take it because I am very familiar with it, very proficient with it, it's handy and easy to carry, and because I know I can use it to deliver hard-cast bullets in accurate, rapid succession. It makes a very good tool and I would rather be with it than without it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
This is a very interesting and entertaining thread. On the one hand we have some very experienced Alaska guides and longtime Alaska residents. On the other hand we have people who have never been to Alaska at all. Between those we have people who have been to Alaska at least once, some a handful of times. Opinions abound. Here is mine.

A handgun is a tool, nothing more and nothing less. I am very confident with that tool and quite comfortable carrying it outdoors. I have no trouble wearing a pistol outside of thick, heavy clothing and removing it and replacing it after a clothing change. I find it no trouble at all to adjust a chest holster or a holster on a shoulder supported belt to accommodate those clothing changes. I do carry pistols on waist belts but I generally reserve that style of carry for times when I want to carry concealed. In the field, I carry both a short knife and a pistol. But consider this question, which is more useful to have on the belt, a pistol or a big knife? To me it makes more sense to have the big knife in a pack and a pistol on the belt.

I have spent a considerable amount of time in a few of the world's most unfriendly environments. I have worked in and camped out in Asian jungles, east African savanna, North African deserts, and the deserts and mountains of the Middle East. In none of those instances was I hunting but neither was I a tourist. I carried a rifle but I also carried a pistol.

I've been on numerous outings of various lengths in North American. Among those are only six trips to Alaska. I've never been an Alaskan guide and I've never been an Alaska resident but I can still tell you from experience that Alaska is made up of many different environments. The Kodiak coast is not the same as the interior country. The steep mountainous areas are not the same as the vast, seemingly endless, flatlands. Sometimes you're walking in the open and sometimes you're parting the brush with your hands as you step through it. On two of those trips I spent weeks skiing and snowshoeing scores of miles cross-country. At those times, my rifle was out of the way slung over my back so I could work the poles but my pistol was always handy in the holster. There were many other occasions my rifle was on my back. When working my way hand-over-hand up a steep incline, when carrying wood, when setting up camp, and while in a sleeping bag my rifle was either over my back or not readily available but my pistol was always right at hand. It is ludicrous to believe that if you spend any meaningful time afield that your un-slung rifle will either always be in your hands or just within reach.

We have a particular, very well respected, and rightfully so, Alaska guide who is posting in this thread. His experience and considerations include not only his own well being but also those of his clients and, perhaps, his employees. In a now famous encounter he dispatched a grizzly/brown bear at close quarters using a Smith & Wesson 9mm automatic. I will not attempt to retell specifics of his story nor will I try to second guess him. Neither of those are my place. But I will say this, from his own published accounts, that little 9mm pistol saved his client's bacon. Draw from that what you will.

So, I carry a pistol, not because of "bearanoia" but because of it's utility and handiness. And it doesn't matter where I am or in what environment. If I am in the outdoors, laws and logistics allowing, I will always be carrying a pistol.

I own several pistols in various calibers. A few years ago I purchased a Kimber long-slide 1911 in 10mm. Man that was a beast. My original plan was to use it for dual purposes - general field carry and hunting. I chronographed several factory loads through it and a few shot well over 700 ft-lbs muzzle energy. I settled on one load and shot the heck out of it. I became familiar and proficient with that load and pistol. But I grew increasingly annoyed by the recoil and relatively slow recovery time. Even with considerable effort, I couldn't point and shoot it as quickly or efficiently as a 9mm or 45. Sure, I could have shot lower velocity loads but that would have been counter to my purposes. And I could have installed a muzzle brake, but I hate those things. So, I sold the 10mm.

I recently discovered (for me) the .38 Super and I really like it. A Colt .38 Super is now what I carry when afield. If I were to make another trip to Alaska that's what I would take. It would not be my choice because it is a rifle replacement, the world's most powerful big-bore handgun, or the best "bear medicine". It is none of those. No, I would take it because I am very familiar with it, very proficient with it, it's handy and easy to carry, and because I know I can use it to deliver hard-cast bullets in accurate, rapid succession. It makes a very good tool and I would rather be with it than without it.

The above is the first post I have read on this subject that makes perfect sense to anyone who can read and understand that simply because others think they know everything. is no reason to simply abide by their opinion on this subject.
........................................ old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Since you prefer to stick to facts,

Were those "been too"? Or hunting trips?

And I honestly would like to know what and where you hunted and if it was with a guide as that has a tremendous bearing on anyone's opinions.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And I honestly would like to know what and where you hunted and if it was with a guide as that has a tremendous bearing on anyone's opinions.

Phil,

I am sure you know but you can't argue with an idiot, he just won't listen to anyone's point.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Phil,

I am sure you know but you can't argue with an idiot, he just won't listen to anyone's point.

Thanks Jim, I am learning that ! He has plenty of time to needle others and pontificate at length, but is too busy to elaborate on his expertise!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot