Find
Notify
Tools

Sidearm For Brown Bear Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, saving a last shot is not a bad idea. For whatever the purpose. Philip Massaro convinced me to write my full 9 mil Phil bear story for the next Gun Digest issue and I had but a single round left when that little dustup was over.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4186 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Ray, saving a last shot is not a bad idea. For whatever the purpose. Philip Massaro convinced me to write my full 9 mil Phil bear story for the next Gun Digest issue and I had but a single round left when that little dustup was over.

I agree Phil but I think Ray was just being funny.

Saving the last round for yourself is just another of the old wife's tales that have been shown to be just that.

Like file your front sight off.

Like your more likely to get hit by lighting.

Like you have to be a expert handgun user to defend ones self.

Like you need to make a CNS shot to stop a bear (if you do they work well.

Like you need the biggest hand gun possible.

Posts: 19306 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More people die from bee and wasp stings than from bears. Carry a fly swatter. But if you have to carry a pistol, the old story of a .25ACP is all you need. Never hunt alone and if a bear attacks, shoot your buddy in the knee and you wont be able to outrun the bear but you can outrun your buddy.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
More people die from bee and wasp stings than from bears. Carry a fly swatter. But if you have to carry a pistol, the old story of a .25ACP is all you need. Never hunt alone and if a bear attacks, shoot your buddy in the knee and you wont be able to outrun the bear but you can outrun your buddy.

Of course with many things it can very well be area dependent.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only time I carry a handgun is when I am not carrying a long gun. If a person can not fix a problem with a rifle, they are certainly not likely to do so with a pistol

Sage advice!!

Cheers
J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7569 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RSIMMONS:
So here is the scenario I had in mind; I get up in the morning and head to the outhouse. I have toilet paper in one hand and feel like I might need a pistol in the other. So, in this case, is a 460 S&W appropriate?

Our family Homestead in Alaska is within a National Wildlife Refuge, surrounded by federally designated wilderness and situated in the densest population of Brown bears in the state, and probably the entire world !
For over forty years My entire family and hundreds of guests wander to the outhouse with nothing in our hands stronger than a cup of coffee !
And over the years we have run into a few bears ! Fortunately they don't seem to care for coffee.

Made me laugh as much as you laughed at Joyce's giggling while draining one of Rob's mags shooting full auto at the double rifle shoot of pre-COVID yesteryear.

https://youtu.be/dFOlBR5oNPQ

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that the guys from the lower 48 I seem to discuss this topic with great frequency and the heavy consensus is a fellow is crazy to not carry a sidearm when in bear country. Meanwhile, the guys who actually live among the bears say ‘don’t bother’ unless you have no better option.

I think I’ll take my advice from the guys from SW Alaska who live among the bears and know whereof they speak.

This does remind me of a couple Alaska experiences back in the early & mid 1980’s where nobody bothered to carry a rifle in bear country. In 1980, I was hunting in the Alaska Range with Lynn Castle’s outfit and there were four or five of us in a remote camp and we were all sick with the flu. There was a shed full of moose and caribou meat with bear tracks all around in the snow. The outhouse was on the other side of the shed and with everyone sick, there were many trips out there. Nobody took a gun or saw a bear when going to or from the John. The other was in 1985 on a bear hunt at Kodiak’s Deadman Bay. Lynn and I both had our wives in camp and several times we took the ladies for a walk along the beach. Neither of us took a rifle, Lynn said not to worry, we weren’t gonna bump into a bear where we’d be walking and he ended up right.

In Lynn’s case, airplanes turned out to be far more dangerous than any bear.

Posts: 3831 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I find it interesting that the guys from the lower 48 I seem to discuss this topic with great frequency and the heavy consensus is a fellow is crazy to not carry a sidearm when in bear country. Meanwhile, the guys who actually live among the bears say ‘don’t bother’ unless you have no better option.

I think I’ll take my advice from the guys from SW Alaska who live among the bears and know whereof they speak.

Or so it seems that some Alaskans prefer to carry everyday in the summer.

Quote from Phil.

Talking about rugged holsters

20 January 2021 02:23 They are my favorite holsters and I wear them daily all summer Phil Shoemaker Alaska Master guide

Either he just likes carrying a empty holster or he carries a handgun daily.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Pdog, at this point you just look like an idiot.

Not that it's ever stopped you before.

Posts: 9017 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I recommend a 375 H&H with 23-25" barrel as a side arm Smiler

What they said - you and your guide both have big bore rifles.

I do take a "camp" handgun with me, though I always stayed in dry cabins, I used when heading to the outhouse. Either a 10mm or 44 Mag (what I own).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is wrong with a stainless Marlin guide gun 45/70 and a big charge behind a 400 gr hardcast.
Not a lot heavier than a S&W 500.
I think a lot better chance of hitting something.
I put one together some years ago call it my tent gun.
Put a picnt rail on the tubular mag with a 800 lumen light and a ghost ring on the rear receiver.
Had the action worked over and it is slick as a whistle.
Very handy, short, fast little rifle.
It does smack you pretty good with Buffalo bore like loads.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
what is wrong with a stainless Marlin guide gun 45/70 and a big charge behind a 400 gr hardcast.
Put a picnt rail on the tubular mag with a 800 lumen light and a ghost ring on the rear receiver.

EZ

If I were to bring two rifles on a hunting trip I think they'd be similar, i.e. scoped bolt action or maybe two of similar caliber or,.......

A light rifle and a heavy rifle certainly make sense on a caribou/ brown bear hunt.

If your bringing a full on dedicated camp or tent rifle I think the guides will look at you funny.

How about a shotgun for small game and wing shooting instead? You could load it with slugs at bedtime.

Posts: 9017 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2nd rifle has the same problems as a first rifle.

The whole idea behind a handgun is to have it with you when you don't have the rifle for what ever reasons.

There is always a lot of stuff that needs to be done around a camp that two hands are better then one.

Setting the rifle down and walking away from it to do a camp chore is a easy thing to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for the tent or camping in bear country.
A beater 375 on foot for the bear.
I doubt my rifle would go bad. I do bring two scopes on tally removable rings. Both sighted in for the rifle. If anything goes bad it is likely the scope.
es/Photo
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

EZ

If I were to bring two rifles on a hunting trip I think they'd be similar, i.e. scoped bolt action or maybe two of similar caliber or,.......

A light rifle and a heavy rifle certainly make sense on a caribou/ brown bear hunt.

If your bringing a full on dedicated camp or tent rifle I think the guides will look at you funny.

How about a shotgun for small game and wing shooting instead? You could load it with slugs at bedtime.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Or so it seems that some Alaskans prefer to carry everyday in the summer.

I carry every day period.!
Ruger LC9S tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have moose/brown bear hunt coming in September. I feel like I need a sidearm. I'm looking at a revolver in 460 S&W. Is this practical or is 44 Mag a better idea?

If it makes you feel good, buy a pistol. Listen to Phil, Jake, Frostbit and the other Alaskans. You won't need one.

I had a short barreled 44 Ruger that I got tired of carrying. These days, if I wanted to carry a pistol while fishing, or hiking, I'd go with a Glock 10mm, like others have said. Since I don't have one, I took to carrying my HK USPc in .40 with the heavy hard cast Buffalo Bores my last few years in AK.

I should have been on an Alaska bear hunt this past Fall, but other things prevented that. It didn't even occur to me to plan on bringing a pistol.

Either way, enjoy your hunt.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I had two tours in Alaska, and never carried a sidearm when I was after moose, caribou or either of the bears.

However, when I was fishing out in a remote area I always had a handgun at my side, a S&W Model 29 .44 magnum.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1539 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I NEVER carry a rifle on all my dangerous game hunts since I don't own any. I only use appropriate handguns for all my dangerous game- brown bearX2, elephantX3, lionX2, rhino, leopard, Cape BuffX3(all 1 shooters), croc.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
When I'm in Alaska visiting family and we're out hiking, fishing and recreating I carry a 10mm Kimber. I recall being down on the Russian River fly fishing late one evening in July, and being on the upper section of the Russian all by myself, as most people had left for the day. As I walked up the trail further in the direction of the falls, the hair on the back of my neck was standing up and it was eerily quiet. There was something watching me-I felt it as sure as I was breathing. I wasn't carrying and that was the last time that ever happened. Nearly three years ago a gentleman was killed not far from my daughter's house in Eagle River by a Bear-allegedly a grizzly-while out on a hike. They have bears in the neighborhood quite often. With all due respect to everyone here, and the experiences that you have had, you are all welcome to do whatever floats your boat. My boat floats with a handgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
I NEVER carry a rifle on all my dangerous game hunts since I don't own any. I only use appropriate handguns for all my dangerous game- brown bearX2, elephantX3, lionX2, rhino, leopard, Cape BuffX3(all 1 shooters), croc.

There can be a difference between carrying a "hand gun' as ones primary hunting arm and one for self-protection.

A lot of times primary hunting guns tend to be larger and can be in more powerful calibers.

A lot of them can be and are more in the term of hand rifles than handguns.

My 10" BFR in 460S@W is 2.5 to 3 times as heavy as my TI41mag. A lot of the bolt action "handguns in rifle calibers are even heavier.

Is there a lot of over lap every much so.

As with many things it is never black and white.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
When I'm in Alaska visiting family and we're out hiking, fishing and recreating I carry a 10mm Kimber. I recall being down on the Russian River fly fishing late one evening in July, and being on the upper section of the Russian all by myself, as most people had left for the day. As I walked up the trail further in the direction of the falls, the hair on the back of my neck was standing up and it was eerily quiet. There was something watching me-I felt it as sure as I was breathing. I wasn't carrying and that was the last time that ever happened. Nearly three years ago a gentleman was killed not far from my daughter's house in Eagle River by a Bear-allegedly a grizzly-while out on a hike. They have bears in the neighborhood quite often. With all due respect to everyone here, and the experiences that you have had, you are all welcome to do whatever floats your boat. My boat floats with a handgun.

A minor disagreement, your daughter doesn't have bears in the neighborhood, " quite often," your daughter had bears in the neighborhood.
As in full time, all day everyday.
Most of us do. I certainly have bears around my place full time. It's like having robins in the trees or ducks in the pond. They're just there.

My full time regular job finds me out and about all day. I don't carry a handgun, feel comfortable about it and seemed to have survived for a couple decades unscratched.

To the Alaskans reading this, it isn't miraculous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott: You're absolutely right. I don't spend the winters there, just most of each summer. Last summer was the exception. Big Grin tu2 By the way, Mark Young just lives a couple of miles up the road from me now. Another Dillingham product. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
glock 20 w/ Hiene custom sights and inforce light.

at least that is what I justify my set up glock 20 for Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-woman-outhouse-bear

Posted today on Fox News. Thought that you all might be interested in it, in light of the discussion going on in this thread about carrying in Alaska. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-woman-outhouse-bear

Posted today on Fox News. Thought that you all might be interested in it, in light of the discussion going on in this thread about carrying in Alaska. Big Grin

Shooting a bear that is in,.... meaning really in your outhouse is not an option for reasons we all can guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t known anything about the right gun bear for protection or bears or much about Alaska hunting other than my first and last Alaska hunt was eventful (but no bears).

The charter pilot who flew me in to camp had an interesting bear story. He was flying fishing charter clients to a very pretty camp. It had a nice pebble runway and had streams on both sides.

He liked to jog and used to run on the airstrip. The kitchen in the camp used to clean fish and throw them in the stream. It used to attract bears.

The pilot had no idea and went on his morning run. Everyone else was out fishing ect. At the far end of the runway a bear decide to make him into his play toy as he turned to run back on the runway.

He told me the bear had a jolly good time tearing him apart till he got bored after a bite or two. But he still continued playing with him. The bear basically tore everything from back to over his shoulder out. Kind of like filleted him out.

He played dead till the bear got bored and went away and them crawled his way back to camp and the kitchen staff.

I though he was joking till he showed me his scars. From his back to over his shoulder.

He joked if I went bear hunting the charter would be free.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I don’t known anything about the right gun bear for protection or bears or much about Alaska hunting other than my first and last Alaska hunt was eventful (but no bears).

The charter pilot who flew me in to camp had an interesting bear story. He was flying fishing charter clients to a very pretty camp. It had a nice pebble runway and had streams on both sides.

He liked to jog and used to run on the airstrip. The kitchen in the camp used to clean fish and throw them in the stream. It used to attract bears.

The pilot had no idea and went on his morning run. Everyone else was out fishing ect. At the far end of the runway a bear decide to make him into his play toy as he turned to run back on the runway.

He told me the bear had a jolly good time tearing him apart till he got bored after a bite or two. But he still continued playing with him. The bear basically tore everything from back to over his shoulder out. Kind of like filleted him out.

He played dead till the bear got bored and went away and them crawled his way back to camp and the kitchen staff.

I though he was joking till he showed me his scars. From his back to over his shoulder.

He joked if I went bear hunting the charter would be free.

Mike

I think that happened here, or at least an exact similar case happened here.

The Fish and Game figured the bear was napping at the end of the runway and the un suspecting pilot actually ran right at or, " charged" the bear.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

For over forty years My entire family and hundreds of guests wander to the outhouse with nothing in our hands stronger than a cup of coffee !
And over the years we have run into a few bears ! Fortunately they don't seem to care for coffee.

Alaska woman visits outhouse, bear takes a bite out of her backside

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit: I was trying to go easy on Phil and register a little diplomacy in my original post of this by not directly calling him out! rotflmo Never say never. . . . . . clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have moose/brown bear hunt coming in September. I feel like I need a sidearm. I'm looking at a revolver in 460 S&W. Is this practical or is 44 Mag a better idea?

All "opinions" are like assholes, everybody has one!
If you wish to take a hand gun on your hunt to Alaska
take something you can shoot well, don't go buy something you are not familiar with / can't shoot.
Good luck on your adventure, you will have a blast!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frostbit: I was trying to go easy on Phil and register a little diplomacy in my original post of this by not directly calling him out! rotflmo Never say never. . . . . . clap

I missed your post. Phil can handle a little potty humor. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I missed your post. Phil can handle a little potty humor.

Let's hope! Big Grin tu2 rotflmo

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My entire family "enjoyed" that recent little outhouse/bear story. Especially since there was no lasting damage to either party.
And think of the disbelievers she will have to convince !

She should have been carrying one of my 9 mil Phil's extra strength cup of coffee !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4186 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She should have been carrying one of my 9 mil Phil's extra strength cup of coffee !

rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Appropriate cup!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2” fifty Smith

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
2” fifty Smith

The 500 S&W surely is a capable cartridge,I've taken 4 brown bears with it out of a rifle.
It's a brute out of a handgun though,, more than I feel comfortable for more than a shot or 2,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 500 S&W really is a brute.

I dispatched a bull moose with my buddies a couple years ago.

There is no way I could have recovered with a follow up shot on a charging bear. One shot is all you get. The thought of that is not very comforting. I really like the rapid massive destruction you can get out of a 10 mil.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote