New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sidearm For Brown Bear Hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have moose/brown bear hunt coming in September. I feel like I need a sidearm. I'm looking at a revolver in 460 S&W. Is this practical or is 44 Mag a better idea?

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Since you are out of state you will have a guide. I'd skip the added weight of the handgun.

Only time I carry one now is recreational hiking or if hunting with one rifle (Joyce and I share sometimes).

Your mileage may vary. That said, I carry a 10mm when I do carry.

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I used a 45/70 T/C Contender for several, then a 450 Marlin BFG but think the best is 454 Casull Raging Bull. This was written 21 years ago by pro gun testers & nothings changed but the ammo's 20% hotter. I have the lever action also & love all 3
I have Glock 10mms also but they don't hold a candle to the Raging Bulls.https://www.gun-tests.com/hand...-real-world-utility/

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Your rifle will be in your hands. Use it.
If your in a place where a bear attack is likely, you'll already have your hands full of rifle. If you're butchering moose and might have a bear move in on you, your rifle will be right next to you. Fill your hands with rifle.
Your guide will be on 24/7-365, " don't let anything happen to you!" If there a bear around, they'll undoubtedly beat you to it.
I'd bring a reasonable size rifle and nothing else.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you do not have much handgun experience. Other wise you wouldn't be asking.

Sounds like you want one as a secondary weapon not a primary hunting arm.

Here is a good read on handguns and bears.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...-cases-97-effective/

There are dozens of models and the most popular calibers are 357mag, 41mag, 10mm, 44mag.

The real big mags like the 454, 460S@W and the 500S@W work also but for a new hand gun shooter take a longer learning curve.

When I am rifle hunting I like my Ti.41mag at 27oz.

I carry a handgun everyday just because that is what I do.

Humping up and down the mountains with a full weight 44 or bigger can be a drag.

The best holster and suspension system is a must.

If you haven't carried a handgun a lot before it takes trial and error to find the best rig.

I have boxes full of holsters.

If you really are set on carrying a handgun and do not own one. You still have time to acquire one and learn to carry and shoot it.

Might be hard to find one in todays market.

Go to a gun store handle many different ones and if possible shoot them.

Find a instructor that can instruct you in proper handgun shooting.

You might find you don't want the extra weight and hassle.

Or the opposite might happen.

To bad you are so far from Wis.

Or I would offer you my services as a instructor.

I have decades of instructing expertise I have/hold instructor certificates for Handgun, rifle and shotgun.

From 3 different certifying organizations.

Good luck in your quest but is just not as simple as wanting to carry.

If one wants to make the best choice and be effective.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Your rifle will be in your hands. Use it.
If your in a place where a bear attack is likely, you'll already have your hands full of rifle. If you're butchering moose and might have a bear move in on you, your rifle will be right next to you. Fill your hands with rifle.
Your guide will be on 24/7-365, " don't let anything happen to you!" If there a bear around, they'll undoubtedly beat you to it.
I'd bring a reasonable size rifle and nothing else.
+1

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're wasting your money. do what scott king says

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
you're wasting your money. do what scott king says

I take it you do not own any handguns or more then one rifle.

Because they are a waste of money.

Need, want and desire are 3 different things.

Need went away with my first 4 firearms.

Want and desire are the reasons I own dozens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Want and need, a never ending subject. Ditto on what Scott said.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 years guiding brown bear hunters. I don’t carry a sidearm

Phil? Your thoughts?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
but think the best is 454 Casull Raging Bull

x2 tu2

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'd say listen to the Alaska fellows here, Jim, Jake, and Scott. I'm sure Phil will weigh in as well and I'll bet he's going to advise against carrying the extra weight.

I don't have a lot of brown / griz experience but what little I do have tells me the best bet is being alert to your situation ... like when butchering a downed animal.

I remember on my first cape buff hunt in 2006, I had listened to all the dangerous game hype of these great beasts. I didn't want to get out of the truck unless I had my rifle in hand! LOL, well, maybe not that bad but close. You quickly learn that although dangerous game animals are definitely dangerous, that danger is largely circumstance based. Avoid those circumstances and you'll be fine. Find yourself in one of those circumstances; keep your rifle handy and head on a swivel.

I never rely on the guide to save my bacon as I always want to be fully capable of handling the situation myself, but the fact that your guide will be with you, with a second rifle, is a better back up than any hog leg.

That said, I like to play Cowboy as much as the next guy! I do have a FA 454. Carried it on my 1998 Moose / Caribou hunt ... the first day!! Left it in camp after that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RSIMMONS

You do not need to pack a handgun when hunting. I lived in the same place that Scott King does for 22 years. That area may have the highest density of brown bears in Alaska. I had several handguns during that time but left them in camp or at home when hunting. Unless you are hunting with or packing a handgun only a handgun will be a total PIA. If you want an excuse to buy a new gun go for it but you don't need a handgun for your hunt.

Enjoy your hunt!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The only time I carry a handgun is when I am not carrying a long gun. If a person can not fix a problem with a rifle, they are certainly not likely to do so with a pistol

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So here is the scenario I had in mind; I get up in the morning and head to the outhouse. I have toilet paper in one hand and feel like I might need a pistol in the other. So, in this case, is a 460 S&W appropriate?

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSIMMONS:
So here is the scenario I had in mind; I get up in the morning and head to the outhouse. I have toilet paper in one hand and feel like I might need a pistol in the other. So, in this case, is a 460 S&W appropriate?

I wouldn't.
The bears in my opinion are opportunists.

If you're in camp and headed for the Outhouse, your also with planes/ horses/ atvs, other humans, maybe dogs and campfires, outboard jet skiffs, woodstoves lanterns and loud white men.
All very bear unappetizing.

A bear in camp is possible but you see my point?
An opportunistic bear looking for an easy meal thinks your camp is a major pain in the butt.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Toilet paper in one hand, baby wipes in the other.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I Bear hunted at Cold Bay my guide wanted me to have at least a .357 Mag on me while I hunted. He said if the Bear got to me the first thing he would do if I didn't kill him was swat the rifle out of my hands and then maul me. He said if the Bear got me down to put the pistol in his mouth and shoot him. I managed to take a 9.5 ft Bear on the third day and was proud of the pistol the whole hunt. If I ever go back I will follow the same procedure. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes a 460S@W X frame would do the job mention.

If you haven't handled one is big and heavy.

Carry a handgun if you want.

Don't carry one if you do not want to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jim (Frostbit).
If I'm hunting I carry a long gun, not a sidearm. If I don't have a long gun I carry a side arm. For years I've carried a 44 S&W in a shoulder rig, but I have switched to a 10mm. I carry it with 10 rounds, keeping it as light as possible. It delivers a massive amount of killing power in seconds with fairly light recoil. With the revolver I'd get one shot and trying to recover my sight plain took seconds. The 454 or 460 is even worst than the 44, not to mention much heavier.
Rely on your guide and your long gun, you won't miss that sidearm at all.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
When I Bear hunted at Cold Bay my guide wanted me to have at least a .357 Mag on me while I hunted. He said if the Bear got to me the first thing he would do if I didn't kill him was swat the rifle out of my hands and then maul me. He said if the Bear got me down to put the pistol in his mouth and shoot him. I managed to take a 9.5 ft Bear on the third day and was proud of the pistol the whole hunt. If I ever go back I will follow the same procedure. Good Shooting.

Who was this guide?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

Our family Homestead in Alaska is within a National Wildlife Refuge, surrounded by federally designated wilderness and situated in the densest population of Brown bears in the state, and probably the entire world !
For over forty years My entire family and hundreds of guests wander to the outhouse with nothing in our hands stronger than a cup of coffee !
And over the years we have run into a few bears ! Fortunately they don't seem to care for coffee.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of bush outhouses with an old gun in them, I spend a lot of time running my jet boats up remote rivers I tend to spend more time
unarmed but aware of my surroundings. Has worked for 32 plus years.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:

Our family Homestead in Alaska is within a National Wildlife Refuge, surrounded by federally designated wilderness and situated in the densest population of Brown bears in the state, and probably the entire world !
For over forty years My entire family and hundreds of guests wander to the outhouse with nothing in our hands stronger than a cup of coffee !
And over the years we have run into a few bears ! Fortunately they don't seem to care for coffee.

I don't think you will find a better person that is qualified to offer this advice than Phil Shoemaker when a NON resident client is booked for brown bear in Alaska. In that case I don't think one needs a hand gun at all. However, that advice doesn't apply when hunting without a guide for caribou and moose in a fly in drop off camp alone or with a friend.
In that case I always have a .41 Mag Rugar Black hawk when hunting on my own, and around camp when doing camp work, like cooking, or sleeping in my tent, or fishing along a river, or cutting up a downed moose with the rifle out of reach, on a lake shore. In those type things one often has his/her hands full. I carry the 41 Mag in a chest tanker rig just inside my rain gear, and have it handy in my tent at night. At 84 years of age I didn't get that old being careless. A pistol is not a brown bear firearm but it Sure beats hell out of a my fists.
....................................if hunting brown bear with a guide, then that is a different matter! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pistol is not a brown bear firearm but it Shure beats hell out of a my fists.

Again I refer you to this. If you haven't read it all ready.

Oh and by the way ask Phil. how a 9mm works on charging brown bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
A pistol is not a brown bear firearm but it Shure beats hell out of a my fists.

Again I refer you to this. If you haven't read it all ready.

Oh and by the way ask Phil. how a 9mm works on charging brown bears.

And if things get really bad, you can always shoot yourself. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if things get really bad, you can always shoot yourself.

Right after you filed off the front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple. If you get eaten by a bear going to the outhouse,you'll be a legend.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HAY-MAN:
Keep it simple. If you get eaten by a bear going to the outhouse,you'll be a legend.

I guess these people are legends.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...ip-article-1.1083952

https://www.greatfallstribune....r-canyon/5209814002/

https://www.washingtonpost.com...bat-with-black-bear/

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've only been in Alaska hunting brown bear once. I used to guide in Montana a long time ago. On that hunt a 3 year old approx 7' bear walked up to my guide while he was taking his morning constitutional. A few days later a larger sow and two cubs did the same thing to him. He had his rifle with him for good reason.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only been in Alaska hunting brown bear once. I used to guide in Montana a long time ago. On that hunt a 3 year old approx 7' bear walked up to my guide while he was taking his morning constitutional. A few days later a larger sow and two cubs did the same thing to him. He had his rifle with him for good reason.

A sure cure for constipation.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
For those of you suffering badly from a severe bout of bearanoia, I have the perfect handgun for you. No wimpy 9mm !
It's an AMT V, automag 50AE with three boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you suffering badly from a severe bout of bearanoia, I have the perfect handgun to sell you. No wimpy 9mm !

You better be careful where you mention anything for sale on this website . We now have a New Self Proclaimed Internet Cop on this website that goes by the name of “Prairie Dog Shooter”. You too should be policed by him soon!

Per PDS , the new AR internet COP , he is very concerned anything is mentioned for sale outside of the “ Classified Adds”. Just ask me, I got a ticket from him this morning.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It was tongue in cheek but as sensitive as some folks are now days I will reword it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am sure it would work.

Having shot the desert eagle in 50AE the 500S@W in 4" and longer barrels X-frames, Having fired full house 454's, owning, carried, hunted with my 460S@W, TC in 45-70.

For non-handgun hunting purposes I prefer smaller guns with less recoil.

As the amount of ammo needed 3 box's would be a good amount to start with, when learning how to use your new handgun.

I personally carry A lot less when in the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
For those of you suffering badly from a severe bout of bearanoia, I have the perfect handgun to sell you. No wimpy 9mm !

You better be careful where you mention anything for sale on this website . We now have a New Self Proclaimed Internet Cop on this website that goes by the name of “Prairie Dog Shooter”. You too should be policed by him soon!

Per PDS , the new AR internet COP , he is very concerned anything is mentioned for sale outside of the “ Classified Adds”. Just ask me, I got a ticket from him this morning.

There ain't nothing this guy don't know; he is the "Martha Stewart" of AR

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only time I carry a handgun is when I am not carrying a long gun. If a person can not fix a problem with a rifle, they are certainly not likely to do so with a pistol

You are 100% correct. Also, with a pistol hiding somewhere in bulky clothes, you stand a chance of shooting yourself will just moving about or if you attempt to draw it in a moment of panic...

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are 100% correct. Also, with a pistol hiding somewhere in bulky clothes, you stand a chance of shooting yourself will just moving about or if you attempt to draw it in a moment of panic...

Totally BS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

This seems like a good time to have a handgun 'in hand'.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ony use I see is save the last shot for yourself, cause all thats left is the sad singing! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote