Find
Notify
Tools

Nice job Phil Shoemaker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted

Posts: 2575 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes. Hats off to Mr. Shoemaker.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Well Phil has "Ole' Ugly" and now has "Ole' Tiny"

Well Done Phil. All those years of experience served you well. The pistol and ammo did too.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the guy to have around in a tight spot.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That took a very cool head and a steady hand for such a favorable outcome with a 9mm. I'd be a little less interested in the fishing after that episode and very interested in a double martini.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Kudos for a good job, Phil.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Phil and glad you were all safe!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Phil! Exciting story. Glad you're alright.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job by PS.

Amazing, 9mm is good enough to stop a raging grizz but not "enough" for self-defense. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Solids vs. expanding on "big game" debate all over again in another context.
I am a subscriber to straight line penetration in the handgun fight context as well on 2 legged combatants. If it fails, it fails after they are down with a hole, or 3, through the vitals.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Every time I read one of these stories, or an actual attack story, I thing I'm far too casual in the bush and even my own driveway.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7569 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
2 debates end here

Solid vs expanding handgun ammo and placement means everything

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Every time I read one of these stories, or an actual attack story, I thing I'm far too casual in the bush and even my own driveway.

Exactly.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great job Phil! I think Phil will be BB salesperson of the year!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
That took a very cool head and a steady hand for such a favorable outcome with a 9mm. I'd be a little less interested in the fishing after that episode and very interested in a double martini.

You been talking with the clients ?

The fact is that it was an unfortunate incident and, although I had tested the Buffalo Bore ammo in a number of handgun calibers and was satisfied that it would work, there was a certain amount of luck involved.
Even though the bear was only 6 feet away, had the bear come directly for me I am certainl I would had killed it. but the fact that it went for my clients, and was between me and them, made shooting dicy as I certainly did not want to hit them !
I guess in that one situation it was a good thing that the 9mm rounds stayed in the bear. Of course it was a large male that probaly weighed over 900 pounds .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4186 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Phil, good shooting. You'll go down in the hunting history books for this one. Hunters will be talking about this for a hundred years. Well done.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kept a cool head, confidence in the ammo and his skills !! tu2

Anyone know what hard cast alloy was in the ammo ??

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Phil, is there a lot of paperwork with Alaska Fish and Wildlife after one of these incidents? My guess is yes.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, glad everyone is OK.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phil, is there a lot of paperwork with Alaska Fish and Wildlife after one of these incidents? My guess is yes.

There certainly was paperwork and I called and reported the incident immediately after it happened. the real work was getting the hide and head out of the field and then into F&G.
It was a large enough old boar that my daughter and I took care to skin and flesh it so that it might be of some use to F&G.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
This situation is similar to Captain Sullenberger getting that Airbus down in the Hudson River in one piece. A man trains and prepares his entire life just in case some emergency happens, and one day all those years of being ready pay off. The clients were saved. Really awesome.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, I am glad you and the clients are safe. This is a lesson to all of us. Always prepare for murphey.... Kudos

I would love to see all of your writings in a book form. You can put me first on the list to buy.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading this though, IMHO, I will choose the 10mm as minimum. Although the 9 "got 'er dun". Any handgun is at an extreme disadvantage in a situation such as this. It's certain that this isn't Phil's first rodeo. Not everyone could have pulled this off so successfully.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Happily in this scenario with an experienced guide shooting it worked out okay. Obviously the 9 millimeter firing a magazine full of quality bullets ultimately killed it but it probably took longer than most people would want in that situation. I also read your subtle comment about penetration in this instance . Phil I wonder if you're now going to go back to your 44 Mag? Or if you would consider stepping up to a double-stack magazine 10 millimeter carrying similar quality ammunition.

PS when you skinned it out what did you determine was the Fatal shot or was it just a combination of multiple lung hits?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Kept a cool head, confidence in the ammo and his skills !! tu2

Anyone know what hard cast alloy was in the ammo ??

Tim does not publish his alloy as far as I have seen-
typically his hard casts run 22 BHN or better on the ammo I have tested-

So a heat-treated NO.2 or Lino would work--
Maybe he can be enticed to post on this--

Phil, happy you and the clients are safe

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Phil!

Gonna change your Signature Line from 30.06 to 9mm now??!! jumping

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Happily in this scenario with an experienced guide shooting it worked out okay. Obviously the 9 millimeter firing a magazine full of quality bullets ultimately killed it but it probably took longer than most people would want in that situation. I also read your subtle comment about penetration in this instance . Phil I wonder if you're now going to go back to your 44 Mag? Or if you would

consider stepping up to a double-stack magazine 10 millimeter carrying similar quality ammunition.

PS when you skinned it out what did you determine was the Fatal shot or was it just a combination of multiple lung hits?

Well done Phil,, I'm interested in the ? above as well. Blake is 2.5 away this summer,,I see him often.

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:

There certainly was paperwork and I called and reported the incident immediately after it happened. the real work was getting the hide and head out of the field and then into F&G.
It was a large enough old boar that my daughter and I took care to skin and flesh it so that it might be of some use to F&G.

It may be time to re-word your tag-line to "Anyone who claims the 9mm is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship" patriot

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
So nice to see a civil discussion on AR about Phils actions vs. the whiny moronic ravings about the same article on 24 hour campfire.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2575 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The bear didn't stand a chance. I'd bet Mr. Shoemaker could hunt them with a fly swatter.

Way to go sir!

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Amazing Phil. Glad you and everyone are safe. Congrats.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hello Phil,

thanks for the report and feedback.
will you continue to use your 9mm?

another Phil.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a great deal of respect for mister Shoemaker and I think he did a great job!
I have been using hard cast Bullets for many years and they are fantastic.
But anyone who depends on 9MM to stop a all out charge from a grizzly is asking for trouble!!!

In the circumstances he describes I can see how he killed the bear, But in a all out charge I think he would have lost.

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Wayne, I have been hunting brown bears for 38 years, live within a Federal Wildlife refuge, see brown bears on nearly a daily basis and can assure you that it was an all out charge!

I am not recommending a 9mm, nor any other handgun calibers. The 357, 44 and larger rounds do give deeper penetration, and would be my choice if I knew I had to face a charge with a handgun, but loaded with proper bullets the 9mm does work.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been out in Wyoming on a back backing trip and just saw this.

Good shooting Phil but why didn't you use bear spray that you have highly recommended that people carry.

Personally I have always recommended a good firearm for bear protection.

I have carried my 3913 at times on this last trip I carried my Ti 41 mag.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil carries a gun to cover the folks using bear spray...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
What a Dickhead you are to ?? Phil !!! Lots of times us bush dewelers don'thave any weapons on our person,, at times it's only a 22. Bearspray only would help if the bear is downwind,,MAYBE!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne74:
I have a great deal of respect for mister Shoemaker and I think he did a great job!
I have been using hard cast Bullets for many years and they are fantastic.
But anyone who depends on 9MM to stop a all out charge from a grizzly is asking for trouble!!!

In the circumstances he describes I can see how he killed the bear, But in a all out charge I think he would have lost.

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by waterrat:
What a Dickhead you are to ?? Phil !!! Lots of times us bush dewelers don'thave any weapons on our person,, at times it's only a 22. Bearspray only would help if the bear is downwind,,MAYBE!!! [QUOTE]Originally posted by Wayne74:

I only question Phil's not using spray because in past posts he recommended the use of spray as better then a firearm.

Then the one time he has to actual defend human life in a non hunting situation he uses a firearm.

If Phil had not been so adamant in recommending spray over a firearm in the past I would not be questioning him.

He brought on the question himself by his recommendation on using spray instead of a firearm.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
As a guide I'm sure Phil was aware of the wind direction,,,if the wind is in your face you are just seasoning yourself!

I myself would never trust or carry spray for bear protection. Maybe in a city though..

Stick to spraying prairie dogs,,,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fail to see where "what Phil said before" really matter in an instance that everything worked out and all parties are safe. Sometimes we all do something different than we said at one point. Don't make it wrong. We can change our standard operating procedure anytime we want. Don't have to clear that with anyone on the internet first.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote