THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Hoonah, is it an ok place to spend 2-3 years?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoonah, is it an ok place to spend 2-3 years?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Got a job thing for a job in Hoonah?

Never been there.

Grew up on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming, familiar with some of the concepts.

However this town has 850 people, versus my home town of almost 15,000.

Also lived in Sitka and Barrow. Not that I am an expert on anything to include Alaska bush/SE communities.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Uncle (RIP) lived in and fished out of Haines for years. When I came to AK in 91 we went to Haines. Hired on a longliner for a Halibut opener, not with my Uncle. Sold the fish at Hoonah and overnighted there. Got back to Haines and all my Uncle could do was quiz/rib us about "how did you like the Hoonah Honeys". If there are any long time SE AK Fisherman around here I'm sure they could fill you in!

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth,

As you know Hoonah is a native community and it rain a lot. Since you've lived in AK I know you know what all that means.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your going to need a boat. Or two. Lots of fantastic country to explore.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Seth,

As you know Hoonah is a native community and it rain a lot. Since you've lived in AK I know you know what all that means.

Mark

Mark, I was afraid of that I think I'll pass.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't you heard of typical business attire for Hoonah??

"HOONAH WINGTIPS".... YUP, knee high rubber boots!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of Alaska wears rubber boots April-October.

Hip waders would be tough.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Ive bear hunted out of there a few years ago. Its a pretty small alaska town, the only big draw there is the zip line(google it). A couple small shops, hardware/sporting goods, grocery store etc.
Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities, better if you own a boat.

On a positive note, the Alaska Bush People have moved away I was told.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the big attractions and employers is the recent Shipyard built in Hoonah!!.....commercial and pleasure boat facilities.....

But whata place to go n hang out for annual maintenance!!.... Bring your Hoonah Wingtips!!

GREAT KING SALMON n Halibut fishing near by!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote