New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank You Bear in Fairbanks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finding reloading components has been tougher in Alaska than lower 48. If we ship powder in ourselves, has to be on barge and has to be over 100 lbs. Try finding an online reloading supply in lower 48 that has 100 lbs and that will sell ya 100 lbs. WE finally got 177 lbs shipped, several of us got together and all got 40 lbs each. So we are pretty much set with our reloading needs for the future EXCEPT: I couldn't find any TAC anywhere and I'm awful superstitious about how it works in the ARs we hunt with. Have killed lots of caribou, bunch of bear, 7 moose, and even a grizzly bear using that TAC powder with A-FRames or TTSXs.

Couldn't find any TAC anywheres, and it was really getting to me.

Bear in Fairbanks found me some and grabbed 4 lbs for me, unreal. Called me up and made my day. My powder search is now over until this shortage is history. I told Bear that I could kiss him and he said no way but I was welcome, ha ha. Big Thanks to Bear for the find. I owe ya. Bear in Fairbanks = GOOD GUY

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a show a couple days ago where Berger is running their plant about 21 hours a day seven days a week....Going flat out...

Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh:
We in the Interior are at the end of the supply line and a lot of times I think we end up with the dregs that businesses in the Lower-48 don't want. Seems like their attitude is "Let's send this crap to Fairbanks, they'll be glad to get it & they'll buy anything." My wife & I have gone to buying quite a bit of stuff thru Amazon - lot's of it free shipping to.
Anyway, thanks for the kudos - glad to help.
see ya later.
B.I.F.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot with Walt Berger in a NBRSA match this last weekend. (80 and still competitive!) He says they are working full time to put out their bullets.

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear:
PM on the way, need some info about a local I used to know. Thanks
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I went into Sportsman's in Wasilla and no rifle powder. Went to a small shop in an undisclosed town out in the middle of nowhere and loaded up on H4350 . Big big smile. Zhurh, how does Tac work in the cold. .??
I keep thinking about getting an AR but I wonder how good it will work at 40 below.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Three Bears in Wasilla off KGB has had powder for sometime now...if any of you Alaskans need some, mostly rifle powder.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Got with some local friends and shipped up 170 lbs from 3rd Gen in Ok. I just got tired of looking and will now ever buy anymore powder.

CTF, I don't hunt at minus 40 nowadays, my back & knees & shoulders. I like TAC but use 8208 also for 308s. I think I'm just superstitious about TAC; works for me.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
That's good to know. I didn't even know there was a KGB store until about 6 weeks ago when I was over there doing an Arborist job. Thanks Sheep hunter. I'll swing in there next time I'm in the Valley.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CTF, haven't seen any bou as of yet, should be here pretty quick. F&G Jeff told me they were where they should be this time of year. He also said they had a low calf survival this year. I'm making run into Anch end of the week; will let you all know if I see anything. Subsistence starts on the 10th. Luv seeing those fat almost purple brown bulls show up.