New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When is the best time during the spring, to hunt black bears in SE Alaska? Is early June too late to find bears that aren't rubbed?

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Early June would normally be late to find unrubbed bears. Better to shoot for early to mid-May.

Notice that I say normally - weather has a great influence.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the coast after June 1. A good chance you will be seeing a lot of rubs by then

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I took this one May 17 of this year. If you look closely you can see hes rubbed on his left elbow. He had some other weak spots, but not so bad. We saw many bears some perfect some rubbed up very bad. We were hunting both inland on baits and along the coast. We saw the two biggest bears, one inland and one coastal that were very well furred during this time frame. June would be pushing it, especially on the really big ones. Also remember you need to apply for your tags if you are from out of state.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice big bear!

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swenative
posted Hide Post
Wow! That´s a big one tu2

Joachim

Posts: 49 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rut seems to start about May10 along the coast in SE Alaska; bears pair up a little before that. Lot more rubs later in May. The bugs come out about June 1 and are relentless. Depends on if an early or a late spring for the bears. I took two brownies and two black bear since 1995. Another black bear hunt started June 6 and was not successful. Almost all guides want to hunt brownies until the end of May & don't start guiding for black bears until Jun. I found one (outstanding) black bear guide; Eli Lucas. He boat hunts Kuiu Island and has a superb area. I took a 6'6 and then a 6'10 on my last hunt with him. My hunting partner took a 7'2" square hunt in 2006. Honest tape measure; I was holding one end of the tape. Tell Eli I sent my regards.

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote