Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver Ram...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Otherwise known as the Freedom Ram...

Second DCUA Walkin Ram for me. 38.5" 11 yo. 71 yds with the Freedom Arms 454 Casull. I thank the Lord and my partner Roy. Over the years I'd been hoping to get a Ram in this class and also get a shot at one with my pistol. This was my third attempt at a Handgun (revolver) Ram. Both happened on this trip. Also we got him 1 day before my 61st Birthday so he's a Birthday Ram as well. I'd never hunted sheep this late, first BDay in the Sheep Mtns. This is number 4 for me out of 10 I've packed and ate. Other 3 I did euro mounts and sold the capes, this one gets mounted. For me this is the pinnacle, the Apogee of my Sheep Hunting. I am done chasing rams for myself. If one of my buddies draws and needs a partner and if my body holds out I'll enter the Sheep Mountains again. But for me, it's been an awesome ride and I'm more than satisfied. Hmm, I got my first and last ram on DCUA Walkin Hunts. There's much more to the story for a future thread.

FYI for those that don't know - DCUA is the Delta Controlled Use Area Draw only. This is a non-motorized, no pack animals hunt. I killed him 15 miles off the road. Our tent was 12 miles back in. It's all DIY walk-in pack it out.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal, I love that horn shape/configuration. Congratulations.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
He is a dandy,, nice shooting there pardner!! Congratulations!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice ram

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snyd,

Magnificent ram. The two rams I took as an Alaska resident are two of my most treasured trophies. Good shooting with the Casull. Wish I had kept mine as they are fine handguns straight from the factory.

Well Done!!!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram. Congratulations on your hunt!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! 15 miles in on foot and you get a sheep like that? It doesn't get any better.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That's a stud ! Beautiful Ram !

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. One hell of a story.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply fantastic. A proper hunt in all ways.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Ram

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to complain to Freedom Arms, my Casull has never killed anything like that!! Of course, at 78 years old, I do good to walk on flat land. Never made it to the mountains when I was young. Now when my bank account can do it, my body can’t. We have driven thru some of the Alaskan mountains. Even saw Dall sheep up on a mountain from the road.

Congratulations, that is one beautiful Dall!!!

Posts: 257 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turk1961:
at 78 years old, I do good to walk on flat land. Never made it to the mountains when I was young. Now when my bank account can do it, my body can’t.

Not to get off topic, but.... I’m 45 and I decided that I need to keep a list of quotes to remind me that I had better get busy living now, while I’m still physically able(and to motivate me to invest in staying in shape, so that I can prolong my active years). I’m going to add your quote to my list.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
That's a great trophy with a finest revolver. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. Reads and looks simply incredible.

Congratulations.

Happy 61 birthday. You are inspiring to this 33 year old.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, amazing ram, and shot with a pistol no less. Incredible.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic in all ways.
HUGE congrats, sheep hunter.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice....quite an accomplishment. I've been in the area, but not to hunt sheep.....never drew a permit. Been gone for two years now and miss AK more and more each day!

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
As everyone else has said, congratulations on a spectacular achievement.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram, and as others have said that is a real trophy with any firearm but even better with a good handgun! I've done a lot of hunting with a handgun and I have found it very satisfying because of the hunt being based on handy capping yourself with a handgun for animals that are normally hunted with a well fitted rifle.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to move back to Alaska since we left in 2014.

I need to try harder, just for things like this.

This is the best post I've seen on AR in a long time.

Congrats on the adventure.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Ram!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hats off!!
That's a hunt of a lifetime. And quite an achievement- congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible accomplishment - Congrats on a great ram with your revolver!

Best of hunting,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great ram and thanks for sharing.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
wow, very nice trophy

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
awesome, well done

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! Nice shootin', nice ram! Looks like optimal conditions. 15 miles from the road - I'm assuming east of the Richardson?

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a beautiful ram and happy birthday

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wow is all I can say!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram. Congratualtions!

I shot a ram in the DCUA back in 2005. One of my most memorable hunts. At one point we were more than 20 miles from the road, before we started hunting back. It is exceptional country and makes hunting in the high country very addicting.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful Ram.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I sw the title of the thread, I thought immediately of RM Patterson story of the Dall Ram he took with a Luger pistol. This around 100 years ago, in Northern BC.
I think it's great there areas for the backpack hunter exclusively. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice shooting.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!
Well done and you really are a great inspiration to all hunters!!
Even in my younger years, I can't imagine packing in 16 miles to hunt!!
Thank you for sharing!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote