Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska general info for Caribou
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm going to start planning one of those stupid adventures of driving the ALCAN Hwy from California to Alaska and I want to hunt caribou while I'm in state. I'll be driving up with my brother who drove from Kodiak Island to California in the 80's.

So, can anyone tell me what the general seasons are for Caribou in different areas? I've driven from Anchorage to Fairbanks to Tok to Valdez and back to Anchorage so I'm a little familiar with the areas. Would anyone have a recommendation for an area that a couple of us to hunt accessible with a 4WD truck?

The Alaska F&G website seems to have all the information except that I can't seem to find the season dates.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12536 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
It'll be an August thing.
A little bit into September is fine but mid and late September the bulls get rutty and not edible.
Howzabout you drive up and do a short fly out from tok or Fairbanks or something like that?

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I'm going to start planning one of those stupid adventures of driving the ALCAN Hwy from California to Alaska and I want to hunt caribou while I'm in state. I'll be driving up with my brother who drove from Kodiak Island to California in the 80's.

So, can anyone tell me what the general seasons are for Caribou in different areas? I've driven from Anchorage to Fairbanks to Tok to Valdez and back to Anchorage so I'm a little familiar with the areas. Would anyone have a recommendation for an area that a couple of us to hunt accessible with a 4WD truck?

The Alaska F&G website seems to have all the information except that I can't seem to find the season dates.

Thanks for any help.

A caribou for a nonresident on the road system really kind of narrows it down.

The 40 mile herd has a registration hunt. You won't be alone. You'll also be totally subject to the caribou moving to one of the roads you can access the area from. It's also likely if the caribou are near the road, the hunt will shut down within days. The hunt from the Steese highway closed in 3 days this year.

The other is the Haul Road (Ice Road) for the Central Arctic Herd. 5 miles either side of the road is bow only. If you want to hike outside the 5 mile corridor then rifles are a go.

Almost anywhere else for caribou either requires flying, a draw tag, or being a resident.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll talk to my brother about doing the drive up there and maybe a fly in or rafting trip. It's been over 20 years since I rafted up there but we had a blast the last time we did it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12536 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for any help.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sta...lations_complete.pdf tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

Thanks for any help.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sta...lations_complete.pdf tu2

Great!
Thanks

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, I'll talk to my brother about doing the drive up there and maybe a fly in or rafting trip. It's been over 20 years since I rafted up there but we had a blast the last time we did it.

It's possible that a fly out could be fairly easy. If the airplane puts you in the path of the caribou, I can just be a matter of hanging around camp/ the drop off spot, and shooting one or more as they pass by. I've had caribou travel past me by the hundred while I just stood there. It's a magnificent sight, but in those cases it's pretty easy to just dump one or more and get to butchering.
After that's over, you are still at or near the pick up point so you get to just load the plane when it gets there and get on with the trip.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Scott; when I lived in AK I always flew, starting by flying Space A to Kotz on weekly C130 from Elmendorf, then flying to Kiana commercial, then flying out from there (except once when I rented a boat from the pilot and hunted the Kobuk). That area is now closed for non-residents and think non-local residents.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If you bring the girl that is under your signature, I'll pay for the hunt!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Thought you were done with big doubles? Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ rotflmo That’s some funny stuff right there!

"These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine winter of 1776

Posts: 115 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal,

I started using this gif about 20 years ago, she's probably bouncing them off her knees by now.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
When she takes her bra off the wrinkles disappear from her face!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started using this gif about 20 years ago, she's probably bouncing them off her knees by now

Age does that

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caribou 'combat hunting' with the Chuke:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRC-hWO9Wo

Chuke knows!

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
Caribou 'combat hunting' with the Chuke:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRC-hWO9Wo

Chuke knows!

This dude missed so bad he killed another animal he wasn’t trying to shoot. Phew.

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote